Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 21, 2006, 2:54 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Catbells's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 874
Default

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
A black body and silver lens really sucks. I definitely like what I have.

Daniel
If a silver (pink/blue or whatever) lens on a black body takes great pictures, does it really matter about the cosmetics or general appearance!!

After all black & silver compliment each other - the FA lens has a black zoom ring.

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 8:08 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
electric-soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 19
Default

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
I have the silver DL. It is more like chrome I believe. Instead of the odd look you got, I caused a couple of discussion amongst the Pentax staff at B&H in New York (arguably the largest store on the N Am side). I came from Toronto and actually they never saw and never had one silver DL. I would say my DL is more like half black half silver. So both silver or black lens are ok. A black body and silver lens really sucks. I definitely like what I have.

Daniel
When you say that they had never seen the silver version (or half black half silver version as you say), I am told that this is not that popular in Canada and USA as wildlife photography is most common over there, and the silver would of course reflect in the sunlight. However I don't do much of that myself.

Just a small bit of info (delivered to me from Robinsons cameras).


electric-soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 8:12 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
electric-soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 19
Default

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
If a silver (pink/blue or whatever) lens on a black body takes great pictures, does it really matter about the cosmetics or general appearance!!

After all black & silver compliment each other - the FA lens has a black zoom ring.

I agree that the cosmetics don't really matter too much when the image produced is a good one.

However for me, being not too well off in the money department, I felt that aesthetics were important in so much that if i was going to pay so much money then I wanted to buy the camera I want.

I feel the black and silver body look good with any lens, black or silver or a combination. The ist DL I think is asexy camera with sexy results.


electric-soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 9:05 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
danielchtong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,888
Default

I would disagree. If everything being equal particularly in terms of price, I will go with cosmetics. But if you ask me how much I would pay extra for a silver DL(which is actually half silver and half black), I would say under $10. That is if I want to monetize my preference .


Daniel

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
Silver (pink/blue or whatever) lens on a black body takes great pictures, does it really matter about the cosmetics or general appearance!!

After all black & silver compliment each other - the FA lens has a black zoom ring.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 9:28 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Catbells's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 874
Default

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
I would disagree. If everything being equal particularly in terms of price, I will go with cosmetics. But if you ask me how much I would pay extra for a silver DL(which is actually half silver and half black), I would say under $10.
I believe that point being raised was in respect of 'add on lens' & that silver FA lens would suite a silver bodied camera better than a black body.

Obviously, when making the initial purchase, the general appearance does matter and it's down to personal preference with the purchaser - one reason why I bought the Pentax *isDS (only available in black in the UK) in preference to C& N (Canon EOS300 in silver looked really bad whereas in black it looked better but still felt like a tank to use).

I would still use an FA style lens in silver if that was what I needed irrespective of the potential clash with the black body.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 12:58 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2
Default

Pentax has a long history of having some very good glass. Anybody that laughs at Pentax has no clue about the bang for your buck you get out of their cameras or their cosistently good glass lenses. I have a friend that figured she needed to go with one of the only 2 that you are allowed to look at. She has problems getting a good snap with hers with a telephoto zoom on simply due to the weight.* What a great price to pay for a non laughable brand. I guess she may get the last laugh if Pentax does get swallowed up but as of today Pentax is still a force to be reconned with despite ignorant camera shops.Those laughers are pretty stupid to laugh at a customer's querry. Even if their opinion was correct that is still gambling that their reaction could just have thrown out the possibility of selling a new system that in their opinion is better and obviously more profitable to themselves. It's just poor salesmanship from every angle.
jnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 1:03 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
ennacac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,198
Default

I prefer the black finish since it doesn't show wear as much as the silver finish does.

I have a pretty (extremely) beat up black A* 200 lens that still looks pretty goodfrom a distance, but I have a silver 28-105 that has far less wear, that looks like crap because the scratches show so easily on the silver finish.

Black is more practical at least for me!

Pentax seems to take a back seat to Canon and Nikon, mostly because they both have high end professional cameras and Pentax does not.

That said, very few people use the professional cameras from C and N, but most camera shop sales people think that C and N low end DSLR's must be better than the competition also, without ever researching the fact.

Review sites like dpreview add to the problem with them bashing jpg images from Pentax D series cameras, which turns away potential customers and gives sales people info that is not accurate. N and C have sharper jpg images, but blow highlights much more often than Pentax, but that info never seems to surface in reviews or in camera shops.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 8:35 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2
Default

I agree about black showing wear less than silver and prefer it myself. Still, if I were buying one for my daughters, I know they would prefer the "flashier" silver and it would match the lenses they have for their Pentax film cameras. I wish the silver bodies were as readily available.

I think that Pentax deliberately underexposes in order to not blow out highlights and preserve detail and this results in the negative impression a casual comparison to Canon and Nikon image might give. I have to use 1/3 or 2/3 stop exposure compensation in cloudy conditions with my DS2, but don't see this as a big drawback. The benefit of being able to use my old Pentax and Ricoh lenses was one of the things that attracted me to the Pentax, along with the favorable user reviews. I have never regretted the decision.

I think it is a shame that Pentax doesn't get the same marketing push that Canon or Nikon do and I agree that it is largely the ignorance of many salespeople that contributes to this. There are salesmen out there, though, that know and love the Pentaxes. I went into a local, old-fashioned camera store that sells and repairs used equipment as well as the latest digital and film equipment and mentioned to a salesman that I had decided to get a Pentax DS2. He launched into a rave about how great they and the DLs were and that they could not get enough from Pentax to keep them on their shelves, and how they had tested one with all their old Pentax lenses, including an old screw mount bellows they used to take great close-ups of their fingerprints and what-not. Obviously, the reason they couldn't keep them on their shelves was because they knew the product well and didn't hesitate to recommend it.

The photo below was taken with a Pentax FA 28-105 f3.2 in black, not silver (makes no difference to the picture, but it still looks better.)

Attached Images
 
zeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 4:28 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Monza76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,093
Default

Interesting, here in Eastern Canada I have only seen the DL in silver!?! All of the other Pentax DSLRs I have seen were black but, at every Future Shop store I have visited the DL is sitting there in the display in silver. The Pentax Canada website also only shows the DL in silver.

Mine is silver of course, and as mentioned earlier, it looks much nicer than the odd titanium like colour the Canon used on the original 300 series Rebel. Looks more like the old K1000 I was so familiar with.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 2:34 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 104
Default

Laughter:

In my earlier life as a consultant, I had to carefully teach our new recruits to actively avoid making disparaging remarks about our competitors. We would positivelyrepresentour virtues. Many clients and prospective clients appreciatively mentioned this to us. Now, as a "retired" retail employee, I use the same technique. Customers buy because we provide something rather valuable and scarce - service with a positive attitude.

When I deal with a sales rep who dismisses a product laughingly, I usually look for someone who actually knows his/her products and understands selling. It's amazing how a good salesperson can reduce my mistakes. In a "camera store," this should involve my answering lots of questions about the type of picture taking I do and want to do before the salesperson can even think about making a recommendation.

Actually, this happened at my local Wolfe's. Then I actively decided that the help I got was well worth the small difference in price between theirs and an internet retailer's. Unfortunately, my salesman left and I'm back to doing my own research and going to the low-cost reputable provider.

I guess if we are willing to put up with sneering salespeople, we deserve what we end up with. After all, there are people who seem to enjoy going to restaurants and having the staff condescend to them.

Black vs Silver:

For many years, I looked enviously at black bodied Pentaxes. However, whenever it was time to buy a new one, I could neitherintellectually nor emotionally justify the difference in price. (Of course, all the lenses were black.) At the time, there was a difference. Black bodies were painted over brass.

With the coming of polycarbonate bodies there was no overt difference and black was the color of availability. Happy me. The only option was "pro" black. I wonder how much the availability or lack thereof has to do with the current choices we make.
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:09 AM.