Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 27, 2006, 6:07 PM   #1

having looked at every camera in the entry level slr niche with low light in mind and landscapes/architecture in mine, and having felt the pentax dl (felt pretty nice) at b and h, i was wondering if anyone has been able to implement it well for low light situations. reviews say it basically sucks at lowlight with what it has, but is there a flash (hopefully affordable) that can be fitted to remedy this and make it just as good as the other competiting cameras?
DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2006, 6:38 PM   #2

Hi

This is first Time in this forum, But i thought I would reply to this.
I have the DS and I have to disagree with the low light Statements.
I Used my then 2 week old DS at my Brother_in Laws wedding. The reception was low light at best and just using the Built in flash, i was able to get some Great shots.
Having said that I did see the need for a better Flash, so i purchased a Sigma EF 500 DG ST. Its a great addition.
Just my 2 cents
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 8:25 PM   #3

nice to see you posting phil(BK)..
mr. dork(LOL), not sure what you are wanting to do. low light- no flash? or low light w/ flash.

ALL of the dslr's don't autofocus well in low light. that's just how it is. now, if you want to shoot low light w/out a flash all you will need is a good f1.4 lens. i use to do this a lot.. any of the dslr's will do this. what's cool about digital is the ease of switching iso ratings in the middle of a shoot. you could not do that w/film..
as to w/flash, i don't consider that low light photography. if it's too dim for the cam to autofocus all you have to do is switch to manual focus. gee, i wonder how any of us ever got along w/out the benefits of AF.

roy
Old Feb 27, 2006, 8:36 PM   #4

Since the Pentax is not as delicate as your typical Canon regarding flash trigger voltage, then a good old Vivitar 285HV or a Sunpak 383 will give you plenty of flash power for even the largest rooms. Just put the camera on manual, set the shutter speed to 125, set the ISO to a specific value and set the aperture as calculated on the flash control and away you go. It may not be as accurate as a TTL flash but it is cheap and powerful.

BTW I use an even older Vivitar 285 with a remote sensor cord and a Stroboframe flash bracket.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 9:41 PM   #5

hey ira,
got a dedicated TTL vivitar 550off ebay the other day. good to about 50' for $10 DELIVERED.. it's a shame pentax dropped TTL on the DL. hopefully a firmware update will remedy that..
Old Feb 28, 2006, 4:04 AM   #6

Dropped TL on the DL, how so? my camera is a DL and works TTL just fine. Nothing on the comparison on DPReview between the DS and the DL. Running the EF500 Dg with TTL and it works perfect.

Only todayI was playing with the off camera cord and trying to blow out the image with super close flash and it worked the perfect exposure everytime with myflash set to TTL.

Built-in Flash
Yes DL
Yes DS

Flash guide no.

External flash
Yes, hot-shoe DL
Yes, hot-shoe DS

Flash modes
Auto, On, Off, Red-eye reduction DL
Auto, On, Off, Red-eye reduction DS

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 4:57 AM   #7

crashman,
that's the sigma super. correct???
Old Feb 28, 2006, 4:58 AM   #8

Hi,

I have Pentax
AF-360FGZ flash and it works great with my *ist DS, I get wonderful pictures with it. P-TTL is supported.

I paid $220 for it. I think it's affordable price for it.

--
Edvinas

Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 6:47 AM   #9

Actually I got the NEW EF500 ST DG P-TTL instead

Does everything I wanted it to do, zooms the flash head to match the focal length, has manual high and low settings and TTL, pulldown macro diffuser, Red light focus Aid....works for me.

Got two off-camera cords, Tha Duo-sync cord that I got off ebay doesn't have the TTL contact...damn, but I managed to dispose of that via my local camera dealer, he knew someone who would buy it, then on ebay I picked up a pentax 5P cord and connectorsto give me full TTL for $76US complete.

http://www.dealtime.com/xPC-Sigma_EF...ash_For_Pentax

$135US

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 9:40 AM   #10

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
Actually I got the NEW EF500 ST DG P-TTL instead

Got two off-camera cords, Tha Duo-sync cord that I got off ebay doesn't have the TTL contact...darn,
Quote:
full TTL for $76US complete.

http://www.dealtime.com/xPC-Sigma_EF...ash_For_Pentax

$135US

glad you posted that it does not work. $135 for the super is great