Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 28, 2006, 6:35 PM   #1

which lens do you use more?

which one is a better everyday lens?

what situations do you normally swap between these two?

thanks.
lgbalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2006, 7:18 PM   #2

Seventh view and one answer. I do have both and find that it depends on what you like.

If you don't know what that is then just use them in all situations and judge for yourself.

For landscape and wide angle the 18-55mm. When I need a bit more reach in my subject shooting I go for 50-200mm.

The 50-200mm is a sharp lens for sure and I like the fact that it uses 52mm filters.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:47 PM   #3

I really want to get the Pentax 50-200 (hopefully soon, money has been an issue), and I expect that it will be my normal, walk-around lens.

At the moment I use the kit lens or an old Kiron 80-200. So many times the kit lens is wider than I want, and the Kiron has too much zoom. I tend to use the Kiron the most, I like to take details, rather than grand vistas for the most part. I just don't "see" things as well with wider angle lenses. Unfortunately, it still seems like I find grand vistas when I have the Kiron on the camera, and want a telephoto when I have the kit lens on (the main reason I didn't want to get a dSLR originally).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 7:14 AM   #4

Hello fellow Pentax people, can you help me please?

Re the Pentax 50-200mm & 18-55mm digital lenses, can somebody tell me where they are avlaible cheapest? I am in the Uk, but if somewhere overseas has a good deal then i will certainly be interested.

I have a Pentax ist DL, and bought this from good old ebay, and would certainly be prepared to go there for these lenses, however they all seem to have disappeared!?!?
electric-soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 8:00 AM   #5

I apologize that this post will not be of help to you but I am in the US (midwest region). I got mine in California while on vacation and was visiting one of my two favorite camera shops. I can't say I got a good deal but the availability of the 50-200mm was not easy for me to find at the time. I got it this past February. PM if you would like the name of the store. I do not want to breach the rules here.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:21 PM   #6

Hi

This really does not answer your question totally However. I have the kit 18-55 and a Sigma 70-300. I really dont use the kit lense at all. It just Did not Suite My Style.
So i purchased a Pentax FA 28-105 F3.2 -4.5 and use that for my everyday lense. If Per chance i need Something I Little wider I have the kit lense and longer i have the Sigma.

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:25 PM   #7

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
and a Sigma 70-3000.
Did you have it made by special order?:G

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:46 PM   #8

Yes and it was delivered by rail car.
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 11:49 PM   #9

Igbsaab, after getting my new camera with dual lens kit (18-55 & 50-200). I found the 50-200 attached to the camera more often then the 18-55. I think 20-500 is a better walk about lens especially outdoor. I only put on the 18-55 when I am shoot indoor in tight space where I need the wider angle view. However, occasionally, when the camera is searching for the proper focus, the 50-200 lens definitely has slower response than the 18-55. Hope this help.

-BE
bright eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 2:13 PM   #10

electric-soup wrote:
Quote:
Re the Pentax 50-200mm & 18-55mm digital lenses, can somebody tell me where they are avlaible cheapest? I am in the Uk
I bought my Pentax 50-200mm here - reasonable price, excellent sales service, reasonable next day delivery charges:

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/inde...ml?cd=20061010
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote