Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 2, 2006, 9:41 AM   #11

Ira,

I leave the sharpening at the factory setting (a bit soft) because I don't want the camera putting more sharpening in than I want for my images. I then use CS USM and start with 50%, Radius at 1.2 and Threshold at 0. I then work from there usually going down from the 50% until I looks like I want it to look using the Preview window to check my progress.

The reviews were right about jpg in the DS and they are a bit soft, but I like it that way since then I am in charge of sharpening and I can avoid the plastic look some DSLR's produce. Once the camera does its thing on sharpening, there I no way to go back and start over and I find most images require different amounts of USM, such as both eagle images I posted here. I know RAW gives me more levels of adjustment, but I don't like the extra processing time with RAW, so I only use it when the light is strange and I am not sure jpg will produce the results I want.

The image quality setting is ***
Saturation is dead center, as is Sharpness and Contrast which is the way the DS was set when I got it. I tried adjusting these settings a couple of times, but I didn't like the results, so I set it back to where it is now.

A good quality lens is important, and that doesn't mean expensive, as my FA28-105 f/4-5.6 Powerzoom produces the same contrast and color as my FA* lenses at a much lower price tag.

I hope this answers your question!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 5:35 PM   #12

These are really awesome photos - it makes me re-consider not getting a lens longer than 200. I would guess that they are handheld?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 6:35 PM   #13

Yes they are hand held.

I do have some longer lenses available, but they are not as easy to use in the field without a tripod, so I really get a lot of use out the the 300mm.

I have a Pentax FA* 80-200mm f/2.8, but I find it just a bit short for most of the photos I take so I always go back to the 300mm even though it is a f/4.5.

The Pheasant photo posted here was shot with the FA* 300 and a Pentax 1.4X-S tele-converter, but that too requires a tripod (or bean bag) to get a sharp image.

Tom
Old Mar 2, 2006, 6:39 PM   #14

That is the flying pheasant from a few weeks ago that used the converter.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80
Old Mar 2, 2006, 7:08 PM   #15
Administrator

Wonderful images Tom!

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 8:14 PM   #16

Awesome images

Though it does help a lot when the subjct in your shot looks bloody great too :G
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote