Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 2, 2006, 1:27 AM   #1

i ordered my DL and it will be here in a few days.now in tonights photo class i had talked about it with my teacher. but when i started to he started acting with sighs when i said it was a pentax and that i jumped so soon to a DSLR without learning everything frist.he was talking about spot metering. and i notice that my fuji s9000 don't cover much on the settings for shot with spot metering.i just have spot metering and that it. no settings to set it -2 ro +2. i never had 32-bit on my s9000. i was missing alot. then after class i talk with him and one lady come up behind and keeps doing uh-huh alot. when he is talking with me.about jumping the gun with the dslr. 1st he says its more of the photographer and not the camera then adds take it from someone with 50 years experice that you can spend 1,000 of dollers and you still not get a good shot its about more of the photographer what he trying to say. then he adds that they have all these cameras and that he can shoot with a camera that he got i think he said pre-war camera for his black and whites because its the way he likes them. and then he talks about nikon, canon and so on . that melnotia or whatever that name of that one camera is the 5D i think. anyway the comney is out of business and that even after a long time nikon and canon still be there becase they got the resorces and the money and they been around a long time.saying nikon is good and i shoud go with nikon. because they make the best lenes. then he says good bye to me becase he got ot go then i got ion my truck and went back home.
Andre_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2006, 1:29 AM   #2

don't get me wrong i know its more of the photographer and not the camera i got the camera because i felt i wanted the camera. i flet it give me more to work with.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 7:20 AM   #3

Andre, your instructor is right, if you have megabucks!! Nikon builds professional grade equipment and lenses BUT their consumer models are no better than Pentax. The biggest issue I take with what he said is the hypocrisy of it, on the one hand he is telling you that the camera doesn't matter, it is the photographer and then on the other hand he is saying you camera is no good because it is the wrong brand. Your instructor may be a great photographer but he is an equipment snob.

My advice, listen to his instruction carefully and learn all you can about technique and composition. Ignore any comments he makes about camera brands because he is the typical camera snob who dismisses any brand that isn't "worthy".

As for lenses, Pentax makes many lenses that are more than a match for Nikon glass, but, as a pro oriented company Nikon has a larger selection of very expensive lenses with large apertures and image stabilization. What they lack is the capability to use older MF lenses with the level of functionality the Pentax allows. You have TTL metering with just about every K-mount lens ever made (except the wonky Ricoh P-series and anything requiring mirror lock up). You can also get a simple adaptor and use M42 screw mount lenses (including some excellent SMC Takumar lenses and even Carl Zeiss glass).

The DL is not the world's greatest camera and Canon and Nikon do build good equipment, but Minolta is gone more from management errors than product quality, and Pentax has one of the best ranges of wide angle lenses available for a reasonable price.

Be happy with your purchase and enjoy your camera, and if you still have the S9000 enjoy that too (it is one of the best EVF cameras out there). Using the wide zoom range of the S9000 you can determine what focal lengths you use most often which will help you decide what lenses to buy for your Pentax.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 12:44 PM   #4

thank you your words are kind and reasureing. i think he was saying it was mangament problms with molinta like you say. i can't remember but i think he did though.but i think he said that when i was in class when he was helping me with something.anyway thank you for the kind words.i do trust pentax.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:01 PM   #5

You know what ticks me off the most???

People who don't own a Pentax are the ones who sledge the camera the most.

I have yet toread a post by someone who said, "Oh, yes I had a Pentax for years and it was crap, but then I found N or C and I can take great photos with it and it does everything that the Penatx couldn't, so I sold my Pentax to a poor fool."

Penatx owners on the other hand just enjoy their cameras and hunting out new lenses (LBA) and taking great shots. Their biggest gripe with N and C is the comments about N and C owners crapping on about Pentax.

I have used the N D200 for work and my Pentaxdoes everything that the D200 does, there was not a single function that I could find on the D200 that I couldn't find on my DL.

N pro: it is very quick on the focus

Pentax pro: larger greenlight LEDand audible pip for focus confirmation

It really comes down to preference, it is not like we are comparing Rolls Royce to Hyundai.
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:57 PM   #6

Your camera class teacher was simply expressing his personal preferences in favor of Canon or Nikon. Canon and Nikon spend more money on advertising. The Pentax has features that I feel are much better than the other brands. My Pentax DS is nice and lightweight, easy to hold, controls are easy to get to, and I can use LOTS and LOTS of different lenses on it. I use classic M42 screw mount Pentax Super Takumar, Carl Zeiss Jena, Scheider Kruznach, modern Pentax K mount, Retina Reflex Schneider Kruznach, Spiratone....it goes on and on! It's easier and less expensive to buy equipment for Pentax.

I took a nature photography class from a guy who used Pentax equipment exclusively, and he had fantastic photos! He worked for National Geographic, etc.

Don't let anyone try to knock you down because you were smart enough to pick a Pentax over the other brands. Let's hear it for Pentax!!

Joyce
Joyce Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 9:34 AM   #7

I wish I had the opportunity to attend a photography class. I live in a town of about 12000 which is over 3 hours away from A city of over 100000. Not exactly an urban centre, in the unusual event that a photography workshop is offered I either do not hear about it or it is offered too far away for me to attend.

In my original post I hope I made it clear that I meant no disrespect to your instructor's photographic or teaching skills, but as a teacher I feel that any instructor should respect the choices made by their students unless there is actually something demonstrably wrong with their choice. Simply choosing a different camera brand does not fit that criteria. A teacher may express an opinion but not attempt to push those opinions upon their students.

I have held short sessions on basic camera controls for small groups in the past. I merely go over the basics of camera controls, memory cards, downloading and backup, and basic image processing (so the snapshooters can get images printed that they can put in albums and enjoy). I stick with technical skills because 30 years of photographic experience has taught me those. What I would like is a course on photographic composition, in any genre, portraiture, nature, architectural, photojournalistic,... anything that deals with the content of the image, not its construction.

Ira

Old Mar 3, 2006, 5:41 PM   #8

i understand what you saying before. its ok
Old Mar 3, 2006, 6:01 PM   #9

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
What I would like is a course on photographic composition, in any genre, portraiture, nature, architectural, photojournalistic,... anything that deals with the content of the image, not its construction.

Ira
That makes 2 of us - I would love to take a course in composition. Maybe when I retire I'll try to take one of those photo workshops that they hold in national parks, or something at our local community college, University extension or whatever. At the moment between work and commute, I have little time to sleep as it is!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:11 PM   #10

mtngal: The Corner Brook campus of our provincial university does have an art program that includes photography courses. Perhaps when I retire I will check that out (only two more years).