Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 3, 2006, 9:10 PM   #1

As a new owner of a DS,Iwant to know how to find out what firmware level I have on my new "toy". How can I check theversion level? I took a brief look at the Pentax site and saw version 2.0, and how to download &install it. I`ve had the camera for two weeksnow, but haven`t had much time to really play with it.

This weekend I`m going to a small motor boat race, and I`m bring several lenses with me to try out. These little outboard boats can well exceed 100 mph.The lenses served me well thru the yearswith my old 35mm Pentax gear. Yes, I am indeed well aware of the 1.5 magnification factor when using 35mm era lense with digital cameras.

Next weekeend I`ll be at a rock concert with my DS.

The following weekend, there is a huge carnival/fair in town and I`ll be doing long exsposures at night, mostly, but not always, with a tri-pod.I do indeed want to capture, as well as distort, the bright lights of the moving carny rides.

By the end of March I, should be really familiar with the DS. :G

S`later, JH
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:22 PM   #2

To Check the Firmware Version. Make Sure your camera is off. Then Hold the Menu Button Down and Turn the camera on. The Version Should Show on the LCD.

Hope this Helps

Bk
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 4:22 PM   #3

Just look at the EXIF data for any JPG Image & it'll tell you as well.
Attached Images

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 5:24 PM   #4

How long does it take to load firmware 2? I have firmware 1 and was thinking of upgrading, but I don't have an AC adaptor. I would guess that having the camera shutting itself off because of a low battery during the process would be fatal, so would I be able to upload it if I were to use freshly charged NiMH batteries?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 10:30 PM   #5

Hi Mtngal

If i remember Correctly, it Took Tops 1-2 minutes. Personally i would not worry about the AC Adaptor, just make sure you batterys are in good Shape. I just make Sure i have a fully charged batteries in the camera when I Update.

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 2:47 AM   #6

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
I just make Sure i have a fully charged batteries in the camera when I Update.
I did that, with my own camera and my brother-in-law's, and it worked just fine, no problems at all. NiMh2500 fresh out of the charger. Lots of power still in the batteries afterwords.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 8:15 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies. I`ll check my version level during the week, and if needed, update it.

I just now got home after playing with my DS all weekend at the motor boat races. The DS worked like a charm. The race boats were some distance from the shoreline, but my Sigma 135~400 lense brought them a whole lot closer. I pretty much used the normal mode on the camera with the ISO set at 400. The lighting was great without a cloud in the sky. My shutter speed was hanging around 750 with the aperature around f8 or so. I did download Saturdays pics to my laptop Saturday evening, and like I mentioned, was overallpleased with the results.

Old Mar 5, 2006, 10:34 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies. I did the update and was surprised at how easy it was (it seems like every time I do something with computers it takes much longer than it "should"). I have a built-in card reader on my computer, so I added the file that way, then followed the directions for the camera. It did only take about 2 minutes, maybe 3 (I didn't actually time it). Having the auto ISO setting is really nice - I was out this morning taking pictures in the shade and early light, and it was nice not having to pay as close attention to the shutter speed as I usually do.

I'm going to have to find more documentation on it all, as well as reading the owners manual again. As I looked through the menus there were several I couldn't remember what they were for. A note to someone just updating - it will reset any settings you have, so don't forget to change things like permittingaperture ring if you use manual lenses, etc.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 10:40 PM   #9

John H wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I`ll check my version level during the week, and if needed, update it.

I just now got home after playing with my DS all weekend at the motor boat races. The DS worked like a charm. The race boats were some distance from the shoreline, but my Sigma 135~400 lense brought them a whole lot closer. I pretty much used the normal mode on the camera with the ISO set at 400. The lighting was great without a cloud in the sky. My shutter speed was hanging around 750 with the aperature around f8 or so. I did download Saturdays pics to my laptop Saturday evening, and like I mentioned, was overallpleased with the results.

pix???????????
Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:13 AM   #10

Here`s a couple of the shots. I did down size them and crop them with a simple editing program called Irfan View.
Attached Images