Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 4, 2006, 9:09 AM   #1

Does anyone know of a cheap reliable AC adapter alternative to pentax's K-AC10U? Paying $60 just so you can plug your camera into a wall seems a bit expensive.

Part of my difficulty in locating an alternative is that I don't know the current requirements of the DS. I haven't been able to find the current rating of the K-AC10U, or any technical data in regard to that adapter. The DS specifies 6.5 V, but not the current. I tried using an older radio shack AC adapter that was rated at 6.5 V and 2.5 A - this resulted in the the cam powering on, lighting the lcd for a second, then shutting off. Apparently, 2.5 A was not enough.

This is somewhat mysterious to me, as 4 1.2 V NiMH will only get you 4.8 V in series, which is a fair bit below the 6.5 V it wants for an plug-in power source. Apparently, its voltage needs can be fairly loose. Also, if the camera regularly chugs more than 2.5 A during operation, then I don't see how it could last much longer than 4 hours of being on. I suspect this is a similar phenomenon to what was discussed in an Alkaline/NiMH post, in which the DS's heavy and sudden gulps of current causes the voltage to drop significantly (in alkalines), resulting in the camera shuttting off.

Anyway, input is welcome!

Thanks
pwithem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2006, 11:45 AM   #2

i've got this one
http://www.dealtime.com/xPC-Universa...or_For_Digital

they also have a less expensive model. google it..
works great with my fuji also.

also
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...95920?n=502394
Old Mar 6, 2006, 4:53 AM   #3

pwithem wrote:
Quote:
part of my difficulty in locating an alternative is that I don't know the current requirements of the DS. I haven't been able to find the current rating of the K-AC10U, or any technical data in regard to that adapter. The DS specifies 6.5 V, but not the current. I tried using an older radio shack AC adapter that was rated at 6.5 V and 2.5 A - this resulted in the the cam powering on, lighting the lcd for a second, then shutting off. Apparently, 2.5 A was not enough.

This is somewhat mysterious to me, as 4 1.2 V NiMH will only get you 4.8 V in series, which is a fair bit below the 6.5 V it wants for an plug-in power source. Apparently, its voltage needs can be fairly loose. Thanks
hi

I use my DS with a self-made AC-Adapter with a uA78S06 as stabilizer. It gives 6,0V/2Amp and the cam runs without any problems with it.

The 6,5V you mention are the absolute maximum - I would stay a little bi lower ...

NiMH have an average voltage of 1,2 V, but immediately after charging it's higher (up to 1,47V)

tekade_alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:01 PM   #4

Actually, I've been something of a dufus here. I had tried out the radio shack adapter not long after first taking the DS out of the box. I noted that the lcd blinked out after a second or two, which made me (then) think the power was insufficient. I pretty much made that conclusion and considered no further. After having had the camera for about two weeks now, I realize that the lcd always blinks out about a second after its introductory glow when powering on. I tried the adapter at 6.0 and 6.5 V settings and the camera works fine at both. yay!
pwithem is offline   Reply With Quote