Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:59 AM   #11

Cool, goes To Show you, it can be Done. I Unfortunatly have not been that Lucky!!

THX

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:15 AM   #12

Try this! Since it is your feeder, get the birds use to your presence in the yard, but keep quite a way off so you don't invade their "comfort zone". Then, get some camo from either a sporting store or military surplus store and start to just sit in a chair for about half an hour at a time to get them comfortable with you in this outfit. Then start getting closer and closer each day until their comfort zone gets smaller and you finally get about ten yards from the feeder.

Then it is just like hunting, sit still and have your camera at the ready or close to it and within half an hour the birds will come in and you will get some shots. I use white/brown camo in the winter and light brown/green in the summer and this technique works for me most of the time. Look at the camo pattern from a distance, as much of it looks great up close, but turns black at a distance, which is not good.

Once you have this down, just keep shooting until you get the shot you want.

Military camo has an IR resistant coating which some claim works better for bird shooting, but I have not found that to be the case in many years of hunting and photography, but being very still and quiet is important. When you do move, move very sloooowly!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:47 AM   #13

Thanks, Tom

I Will give that a try. Getting close enough has been the issue all along. I have tryed to Shoot Within Their comfort Zone and its just to far back.

THX again

Phil

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 4:00 PM   #14

For those of you that don't want to crowd the comfort zone of birds, you can use a mirror telescope such as my Bausch & Lomb 4000 and really reach out there.

Here is a test between my 300 and the 4000 from the same spot! Not quite as sharp as the 300, but it really brings things in.

Old Mar 7, 2006, 4:26 PM   #15

tom,

how aboutcropping the 300 to the same size as the 4000 to see which has the best resolution. i'm curious

roy
Old Mar 7, 2006, 5:42 PM   #16

Here you go!
Old Mar 8, 2006, 7:05 AM   #17

I have seen some OPTEKA lenses, very cheap and that concerns me obviously, but I am curious if anyone has ever tried one of these 600-1000mm lenses that they sell.

:?
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:32 AM   #18

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Here you go!
looks like the 300 wins. even w/the resize..
Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:36 AM   #19

That was what I was thinking also!