Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 5, 2006, 10:05 AM   #1

Hi,

Has anybody used this lens with the Pentax DSLR cameras? Tamron28-200 F/3.8-5.6 XR SUPER for PENTAX AF. I found a good price for this lens at Buydig.com for $149.00.
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:33 AM   #2

Don't have one, but from what I have heard it is one of the better large zoom range models. Like all lenses with this great range there are compromises in image quality, but for general use they are usually not a problem. Pentax sold a variation of this lens in the FA 28-200mm (yes built by Tamron), it had SMC coating but apparently lacked some optical feature Tamron used in their own version.

You will hear many negatives about these lenses but if you are primarily looking for a general walk around lens it should be fine, reasonably fast and showing only a little extra distortion.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:52 PM   #3

Thanks Ira,

I just ordered my DL and I have an interest in a good outdoor lens where I won't be needing wide-angle capabilities. Looking forward to my DL and I have to say thanks to all of you on this forum for all the help you have offered to everyone. I'm also looking at the Sigma 18-125 but this lens is a little more money. Any thoughts between the two?

Thanks
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 2:45 PM   #4

If you had the kit lens for your DL I would recommend the Pentax 50-200mm DA lens. There are also quite a few decent quality 70 or 80 to 200 or 300mm zooms from Pentax and other lens makers, that may serve the outdoor purpose quite well (if you have the 18-55mm to cover the wide end). These lenses have a shorter zoom range, are generally inexpensive and may have fewer optical compromises than the longer range lenses. One big advantage on digital is that, unless you will need a wide angle, the 28-200mm can stay on your camera almost permanently, great way to avoid sensor dust. Without the kit lens you will definitely need at least a 28mm (if not wider) to cover normal photography.

The 28-200mm is a great idea butas Mike Johnston put it:
"All-purpose 28-200mm zoom lenses: Bad snapshots. Also great for making five rolls of film last a whole year. All-purpose = no purpose."Mr. Johnston may be rather opinionated however he does have some points to make here. Since his article deals with 35mm, Divide the numbers by 1.5 and you have the same breakdown for digital.

My personal zoom collection includes, the DA 18-55mm kit lens, an FA 28-80mm zoom that came with myMZ-7, a Takumar 70-200mm which is great for sports (just got great results at a hockey game)and general wildlife, and I have purchased (but not yet received)an FA 100-300mm f4.7-5.8 for some attempts at bird photography this summer. I have two Sigma Zooms, a first series AF 28-80mm (decent image quality but mediocre communications with my DL, not recommended) and a very nice UC 70-210mm f4-5.6 that I willnot be usingnow that I have two Pentax long zooms. A friend of mine has a 28-200mm in Minolta AF mount (don't remember the brand) that he finds useful as a walk around lens for snapshots (when he isn't too serious about taking pictures).

Note that I am only a hobby photography, in my film days I did most of my images with a 28mm, a 50mm and a 70-150mm zoom. Later I used a 28-80mm zoom for its convenience, but still went back to the 50mm for its excellent image quality when that was an issue.

Ira

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:19 PM   #5

Monza76

Slightly OT. However you Mention getting a FA 100-300 For possible bird photography. Let Me state up front I am a Hobbyist and a Pentax Man From way Back. My first SLR was a Pentax ME and i still have it to this day. actually have used some of my lense's from that camera.
I Have a Sigma 70-300 and in My experiance 300MM Is just not enough. I have tried Unsucessfully to get some Shots of the local Birds. I can get Close To the pictures i want but never Close enought For that Shot that Pops.
I have talked To several people In other Forums That have achieved excellent Shots and they tell Me that a Minimum of 400MM is Needed.
They Suggested I purchase a 1.4 teleconverter and use With the Sigma 70-300.

Thought This info might be of interest To you

BK

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:18 AM   #6

I don't find that to be true for the most part. With a little work a 300mm is just fine for bird work and is much more portable than a 400/500mm lens with a converter and a tripod.

FA* 300mm, 1/750 sec, f/8, ISO 400

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 4:56 AM   #7

rritter wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

Has anybody used this lens with the Pentax DSLR cameras? Tamron28-200 F/3.8-5.6 XR SUPER for PENTAX AF. I found a good price for this lens at Buydig.com for $149.00.
The lens is not bad, but if you don't really need the 28mm the Pentax 50-200 is really the better choice (I use both lenses)
tekade_alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 6:17 AM   #8

OK, then let me qualify my statement, which I should have done when I first posted. I am refering to Smaller birds, Such as Cardinals, Jays etc. For the larger Birds 300MM will work Fine. I have been tring To Capture a Particular Cardinal that Frequents my feeder. And I just cannot Get close Enough With the 300MM. The Pictures are ok, but I am not happy with them
Nice Shot BTW

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 7:25 AM   #9

Black Knight, thanks for the comment, I have an MF500mm f8 mirror lens but find it difficult to accurately focus fast enough for moving targets, especially since I have no aperture control and therefore cannot increase my DOF with a smaller aperture (the little-donuts bokeh is a little distracting in some shots as well). I have an MF Takumar-A 2X teleconverter which may work with the 100-300mm to increase my reach since I can stop that lens down to get more DOF and therefore focus is not quite so critical.

Thanks

Ira
Old Mar 6, 2006, 9:04 AM   #10

Here is a small bird from around my bird feeder with the 300mm lens.

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote