Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 7, 2006, 6:31 PM   #1

Hi!

I just recieved a Pentax Digital SLR as a gift and did not get a manual with it (it was bought second hand) so Im looking for some help.

I have experience with SLR cameras, but for Black and White photography, which I developed myself. This is my first Digital Camera and also my first journey into shooting in colour.

When shooting with the flash, I find the often photos come out sort of cloudy, and I have to retouch them after. Im guessing this is because theres not enough light, but when I adjust the shutter to a lower speed, or change the aperture, I find they come out extremely white and too bright.

Ive shot some manual pics without the flash, some which have come out quite nice, tho the times they dont, they pick up alot of REDS. If there a way to avoid that?

Maybe the settings arent just where they need to be and I need to practice more?

Im more interested in shooting without the flash, so Id really like info on that.

Thanks.
Mayday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2006, 6:55 PM   #2

Hi, Mayday... welcome! My experience is the Pentax forum here is full of helpful folks who love photography and will be happy to help you.

You can download the manual for your new Pentax at http://www.pentaximaging.com/custome...ls_literature/ I recommend you get the one for your camera and read the whole thing, because these cameras have many many settings and options to figure out.

Your film SLR experience will be helpful -- you already understand shutter speeds, f-stops, etc.

The built-in flash on Pentax (or any brand) DSLRs is not very powerful...you have to stay close or get a separate flash attachment. One thing to try is to change the flash compensation. On my DS2, I press the Menu button, then the last item on the Rec. Mode menu is Flash Exp. Comp. Try changing it to +0.7 or +1.0 and see if that helps.

Shoot a lot and have fun!

Dan
dan-mx-ds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 9:05 PM   #3

Thanks, Ill try chaging the compensation for the flash, and look into buying a separate flash to use. Sounds like that would do the trick.

Also, Im often shooting in night clubs, and in those times wish not to use the flash to capture the coloured lights/contrasting the darkness etc.

Does anyone have any experience and tips on that?

Old Mar 8, 2006, 12:12 AM   #4

50mm, f1.4
Old Mar 8, 2006, 5:21 AM   #5

Mayday wrote:
Quote:
Hi!

I just recieved a Pentax Digital SLR as a gift and did not get a manual with it (it was bought second hand) so Im looking for some help.
You can download an UNLOCKED version of the *istDS manual here at my site: http://www.catbells.plus.com/Utiliti...webUlocked.pdf

For reasons beyond logic, Pentax have protected the PDF file to prevent it from being printed.

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 6:21 AM   #6

As Robar Eluded to. You might want to consider a Prime lense. Something like a 50mm 1.4 0r Maybe 28-35mm Prime. I am guessing that you have the Kit lense and its`Not the best for low light Shooting.
You also don't mention What ASA you are Shooting At. Maybe You Should Try playing with that. Depending on your firmware Version you are most likely At 200 ASA.
But For low light the DS is IMO usable up to 1600. At that setting You will get some noise, But You can clean that Up With software After. Having said that i never Venture Above 800 Myself.
A Good flash Will Also be a good investment.

Just my 2 cents
Hope it helps

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 12:47 PM   #7

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
But For low light the DS is IMO usable up to 1600. At that setting You will get some noise, But You can clean that Up With software After.

Ive been shooting at 3200, which is the highest setting my camera has (a friend said it would be best for low light situations.

Could you (or anyone...hehe) explain to me a bit about "Noise"? I have a Noise Reduction setting on my camera, but never played with it, cause I wasnt sure what it did. Im guessing this would help?

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Old Mar 8, 2006, 1:00 PM   #8

Get the fastest lens you can afford in the focal length you want and then use they lowest ISO possible with that lens to keep down the noise, unless you want art type prints and the noise (pixels/grain) works for you.

I find the 50 1.4/1.7 and the 85 1.4 to be great low light lenses, but especially the 85 has extremely short DOF wide open.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 1:55 PM   #9

Hi

3200 Is Ok for low light But Will Give you lots Of Noise. Digital noise is what we used to refer to as grainess in the Fim days. To Simplify it, the picture looks like a series of dots, All kinda Fuzzy. If you Goggle it you Might Get a better explaination or a picture that shows it.
IMO: Also I would try to stay away from using the in camera noise reduction and if you really need it, there are several great Software Noise reducers and some are free.
I really Would Stay away from 3200 If at all possible and get a Prime lense . Sometime within the range of F1.4-F2.0. I would stick with the Lense Sizes that Were Mentioned. Exact size Would depend on what you want to use the lense for.

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 6:26 PM   #10

ck ebay for a 50mm f1.4, usually <>$100. i use my old M lense and it's great for shotting in low light. on the DL it's actually a 75mm. try and get a good 1.4X teleconverter and you would have a 70mm f2 which would be be a 105mm f2. shooting at the higher ISOs does produce noice but the pentax is one of the best at not having it. iso3200 shots need to have the exposure right on the money because trying to manipulate the image later will really produce noise even if shot in raw.. if you shoot in low light i'd suggest shooting in raw as the exposure has a lot more leeway. i only shoot in raw and try to get about 1/2 stop underexposed to get as much of the highlight detail i can.