Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:29 PM   #11

Catbells, the problem for we DL owners is that our cameras came with V2.1, I haven't had an opportunity to try V2. I have used RSE (sorry "Raw Shooter Essentials, it is a free download), and ACR (sorry again, "Adobe Camera Raw") with Photo Shop CS2 (which I can only play around with for a while since I cannot afford it), and Pentax Photo Lab of course, but I find ACR the easiest to get good results from. I will however be giving RSE a once over when I get the time since it is recommended by many, and of course the price is right. BTW love your sunset on mountain shot, beautiful.

I have only had the camera since Christmas day so here is the closest to a sunset I have: (Kit lens at 55mm, f10, 1/320, Program mode with +1.3 exposure compensation which seems to have been a little too much, ISO 200)
Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:17 PM   #12

Monza76

Just To Let You Know. i have both Adobe Photoshop Elements 4 and Raw Shooter Pro. Never really tried the PPL Software on the advice of Many. I Started out with Adobe PSE 4 and While i like ACR, i never Could Get the hang of it. Another person recomended I try RSE and I fell in love. The work flow for ME was great, It just felt right. I liked it So Much that I demo'd Raw Shooter Pro and It just takes the experiance To the next level. So i purchased It and have not looked back.
Hope you find the same and i can recommend it Highly.

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 7:45 AM   #13

Bluefinger, it looks like what you're seeing is the way digital sensors overload as they hit maximum white. The sun, of course, will often overwhelm the sensor range if you're properly exposing for the rest of the scene. One reasons it can look bad around the sun is that one color channel (red, green, or blue) clips (hits max white) before another, leaving a color cast. In the photo below, I got a faint blue-green ring around the sun because the red channel clipped first. (It may not show here, but I can see it at 100%)

Dan
Attached Images

dan-mx-ds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 7:52 AM   #14

Another thing that can affect a shot with the sun in it is when more than the disk of the sun itself clips to max white. That can change the apparent shape of the sun. In this shot, the clouds around the sun went white on me...compare the sky with the reflection of the sun in the water.

Ken Rockwell has a good discussion of how these problems happen, and a potential way to deal with them, at
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/fixi...amic-range.htm. Basically, he recommends deliberately underexposing, then creating a highlight shoulder with curves.

Dan
Attached Images

Old Mar 10, 2006, 12:43 PM   #15

BTW, Catbells, really nice shots you posted, I especially like the second one.

Dan
Old Mar 10, 2006, 1:15 PM   #16

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Catbells, the problem for we DL owners is that our cameras came with V2.1, I haven't had an opportunity to try V2.
It's a 50 Meg download, but I've posted here as an ISO image file for anyone who wishes to download it.

http://www.catbells.plus.com/Utiliti...PHOTOLABV2.ISO
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 6:31 AM   #17

Did anyone bother to download this.

If not. I'll just delete it as it's taking up space on my server.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 9:20 AM   #18

I am downloading it today, please wait until tomorrow to remove it.
BTW, any idea why the earlier version gives better results than the latest version?

I now have RSE, PPL v2.1 and access to (occasional use only)ACR on CS2. I have found ACR gives me the best results left to its own defaults, PPL requires the most tweaking and RSE is somewhere in between. Since I cannot afford CS2 I havethree choices, 1) figure out how to get good results easily with RSE or PPL 2.1, 2) bite the bullet, spend some money and get PS Elements 4and use ACR with it (I currently own the original first edition of PS Elements), 3) use PPL v2 from your download (hope it works as well for me).

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:33 AM   #19

dan-mx-ds2 wrote:
Quote:
BTW, Catbells, really nice shots you posted, I especially like the second one.

Dan
This is an excellent picture, dan
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 2:46 PM   #20

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
I am downloading it today, please wait until tomorrow to remove it.
BTW, any idea why the earlier version gives better results than the latest version?
Not a problem.

Quote:
I now have RSE, PPL v2.1 and access to (occasional use only)ACR on CS2. I have found ACR gives me the best results left to its own defaults, PPL requires the most tweaking and RSE is somewhere in between. Since I cannot afford CS2 I havethree choices, 1) figure out how to get good results easily with RSE or PPL 2.1, 2) bite the bullet, spend some money and get PS Elements 4and use ACR with it (I currently own the original first edition of PS Elements), 3) use PPL v2 from your download (hope it works as well for me).
Ira
PPL v2 in Auto mode gives results that match equivalent JPEG***s BUT in my experience produce sharper results which is a better starting point that JPEG***

Previously, I have used RAW in Photoshop & would have said that it produces the best results - possibly still does but I don't have the time to manually adjust every RAW image.

I still have to fine tune the images to get the best from them from whatever conversion process I have used.