Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 8, 2006, 3:06 PM   #1

I dug out my Tamron 28-200 and took this comparison with my Pentax 80-200 and the Tamron. It was foggy today, so the results are not what they could be and I really did not take any time with the images.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2006, 7:57 PM   #2

Contrast is significantly better with the Pentax but I don't see any real difference in sharpness.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 2:37 PM   #3

Took this one today and I isn't bad for a inexpensive lens! Not as sharp as the FA* 300, but it certainly is useable.

Tom
Old Mar 9, 2006, 5:08 PM   #4

But with a bit of USM, it's really sharp - I'd just love to able to take shots like this!!
Attached Images

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 5:31 PM   #5

Same place different bird and lens! Pentax 300mm
Old Mar 9, 2006, 6:11 PM   #6

ebay just sold a BIN FA f2.8 300mm for $3000. it was a beautiful lense

think it's worth it???
Old Mar 9, 2006, 6:35 PM   #7

The 300 2.8 is very large and limits your mobility too much for me. I prefer the FA* 300 or the F* 300, which is the same lens optically.

Tom
Old Mar 9, 2006, 9:10 PM   #8

I just bought a very good used 100-300mm FA f4.7-5.8 (the later lighter model). I do not expect the level of sharpness of a fast zoom or a 300mm prime but I am hoping to get some bird pictures. It doesn't appear to be as well built as the Takumar-F 70-200mm (and has a 6 blade aperture rather than the 9 blades of the Tak), but the design does seem to focus faster than the older lens, it has a nice manual focus grip, and the extra 100mm of "reach" (to be honest I kinda like the silver finish as well, it matches my FA 28-80mm and my DL). I only received it today so the only "test" shot I have is at http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80 . Wish I had it yesterday when three Chickadees were fighting in our snowball bush, may have gotten some interesting shots then.

Ira
Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:25 PM   #9

I have a renewed interest in the 28-200mm lens, it looks like a good "walk around" option. I have been watching a couple of Tamrons and the Pentax FA version on ebay, they are quite reasonably priced. Every indication is that this lens is sharp enough for most of my uses, and the flexibility is a big selling point. This lens would also be just as fast (aperture wise) as the multiple lenses I am using now.

My question is, does anyone have the Pentax FA 28-200mm f3.8-5.6 version? I assume Tom, that you are using the Tamron 28-200mm f3.8-5.6 for these shots. My research has indicated (but not definitely) that the Tamron version has some low dispersion glass that is missing from the Pentax version, but the Pentax has genuine Pentax electronics and SMC coating. Ratings of this lens are not very good, but those ratings were on film cameras, would the smaller sensor fall in the "sweet spot" and not have as much of an issue with corner sharpness?

If anyone has any first hand knowledge of the Pentax version please reply.

Ira
Old Apr 10, 2006, 11:15 PM   #10

Ira,

I did use the Tamron 28-200mm f3.8-5.6 for the bird shots and it is a pretty good lens, especially for a walk around lens since it is fairly small and very light. The Pentax SMC FA 28-200 3.8-5.6 AL (IF) is a lens I have never used but it rates extremely low in tests I have seen, far lower than the Tamron.

Tom