Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 9, 2006, 6:49 PM   #1

I just now updated my newDS to version 2.0, from 1.0 . Now when I push the Fn button to set the AWB, which is now in green lettering, the menu won`t open. The Sensitivity (ISO), flash mode, and drive mode, are all in white lettering and they are adjustableas it says in the manual. I turned the camera off, and reinstalled the batteries. Still no AWB adjustment possible. I reloaded version 2.0. Still no good. I downloaded the firmware again from the Pentax website, reload the camera yet again, and no change. Should I do a do reset to default settings, as shown in the manual on page 171?

HELP! JH
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:53 PM   #2

John

On My DS with V2. The Only time it is adjustable is when its in the : Program, Av,TV or full manuel mode. None of the Auto Modes have adjustability of White balance.

Hope this helps

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 6:23 AM   #3

Thank you, BK! I just checked my DS again, and it is now adjustable in: Program, Tv, Av, and manual modes. Perhaps I miss-read the version 2.0instructions that I down loaded from Pentax. I don`t recall anything mentioned regarding AWB in the instructions. Anybody else that installed version 2.0, did you have the same results as BK and I? Does anyone else have any coments regarding version 2.0, that aren`t mentioned in the instructions?
Old Mar 10, 2006, 8:16 AM   #4

John,
I had the same experience when first poking around in my DS - and discovering the WB to be adjustable in the Tv, Av, etc. modes.

I think I remember some mentioning of the 2.0 firmware graying out menu options that aren't accessible in a given mode. So it may be that you could never adjust the WB in the advanced modes before 2.0, but weren't aware because of the menu colors. I'm speculating here though.

In any case, updating to 2.0 was one of the first things I did, so I'm not familiar with the pre 2.0 characteristics.

Pat
pwithem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:51 AM   #5

With the old firmware, even though you could "adjust" the WB in the Picture Modes, it didn't do anything as the command was over-ridden by the defualt for whatever mode was chosen. In the new fw, if it's not going to make a difference, then it's not available in the menu.

Fw 2.0 is the same version in the Ds2, and if you download the manual for that cam at the Pentax website, you'll not only have the current info for your camera, but a much better translation from the Japanese as well.

Hope this helps, Lou
derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 4:52 PM   #6

Thanks for the tip to download the DS2 manual - I've been feeling a bit at a loss to really explore v. 2.0, other than to use the auto ISO setting. And it seemed like there were things in the menus that I didn't remember from reading the manual that came with my camera. I've never used any of the scene or auto mode so don't know much about them - I probably should try them out just to see what they do - so I can't help there. Almost of my photos have been outdoors so using the auto WB works well for me.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 6:50 PM   #7

Thanks for all the replies! I was concerned that something had really gone wrong during the firmware update. I did re-read all the "read me" files associated with version 2.0, and no where did Inotice the mention about the change regarding AWB. I too will download the DS2 manual. All`s well that ends well! :G

Tomorrow morning I`m heading up to Orlando, as in Florida, to catch two "vintage" rock bands, and yeah, the DS is coming along too! Late in the afternoon, "Cheap TricK" is playing at an outdoor show. Then later in the evening, the "Pat Travers Band" , whom I`ve gotten to know well, is playing at yet another outdoor show. CT had numerous "hits" back in the 80`s, and are really better than ever. PT also had a couple "hit`s" back then to, most notably, "Boom Boom, out go the Lights" and "Snortin' Whiskey and Drinkin' Cocaine", which he always closes his set with. PT is also in fine shape since he, fer real, stopped snortin' and drinkin".

Next weekend, me and the DS will be at a big county fair, at night. I`m thinkin' about the brightly lit, and moving,carny rides, looong exsposures, and zoom lenses.:G

S`later, JH