Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 11, 2006, 9:58 AM   #1

Hi there,
today I stumbled about the Pentax *ist <something> at a local store for sale and since I had some time left I tried it and what shall I say... it felt very good in my hands, manuals are on the right place and it's not too overloaded, snappy performance...

Now I searched in the web a bit and found there are several very similar looking *ist dSLR's - can you please give a breakdown on the real differences? What I mean is... are there real differences in handling, battery life, performance, features or is it just 4 names for nearly the same camera?

I am an allround photographer trying to "catch a moment" - so no photosessions in a studio or with long preparations. I want to grab my cam, go out, shoot all day, don't want to miss too much shots due to the cam and don't want to carry a backpack full of special equipment with me.

So important is (besides the good image quality, dooh )
- camera should be ready to shot fast
- fast and safe/reliable AF and automatic/half automatic functions for the point&shoot pics
- reliable and fast AF in low light conditions or on moving objects (artists in a show, children playing, animals moving... just the average job, no highspeed car racing or heavy fast sports action)

I'd like to go for a good all-around lens kit with a bit of wide angle (missing that lots on my Oly starting at 36mm), so something around 28mm..200mm or the like would be great - any recommendations on that?

I am used to my analog Konica Minolta Dynax 500si and the digital Olympus C770 UZ, which I used far more than the Minolta now in the last year, so I am not the absolute beginner

Thanks in advance for your hints!
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:23 PM   #2

after some more research in the web...

DL = "small brother" of DS, giving not so good continuous shooting and having worse AF? (3 point vs 11 point)

Anything else to mention?
Old Mar 11, 2006, 1:02 PM   #3

Pentamirror instead of Pentaprism, so the veiwfinder isn't quite the same, although the DL is still very good.

DS, you get 11 selectable autofocus points, with the DL, you only get 3 autofocus points, and a larger LCD on the DL.

DL is priced where it is hard to pass up.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 2:04 PM   #4

hi,

i just moved up from a fuji s602 to the DL and am loving it. biggest difference from the DS2 is (as mentioned) penta mirror instead of penta prism, smaller burst rate (buffer fills faster) and fewer focus points. i find the viewfinder fantastic, don't need the bigger buffer, and set the focus to spot anyhow. the biggest plus is price. i paid $549 for DL w/kit lens and got a used sigma 70-300 for $104 more. i would definitely have gotten the DS2 if i'd had a larger budget because of the penta prism, but have no regrets with the DL.

all the *istD-series take AA batteries and i'm finding that my 2 year old NiMH 2300's are not cutting it. i'll be replacing both the batteries and my charger soon (the charger is a fairly cheap one and may be the problem) somake sure you have good high mAh batteries and a decent charger.

have a great day, eric
ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 2:13 PM   #5

I completely second the comments of ejbrusselsprout. I have a DL because my wife could not pass up the deal. I also set the focus on centre spot anyway (just as I would with a DS or DS2 (DS with bigger LCD). The pentaprism (which is slightly better) and the bigger buffer (for the action photographer) are the only appreciable differences.

I'd buy whichever I could get the best deal on.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 5:46 PM   #6

also no off camera TTL flash. i would not be satisfied as i use this a lot..

i also like the larger buffer because i use that a lot also.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 4:29 AM   #7

wouldn't be so dramatic when it comes to the price atm:
- DL with 18-55mm kit: 555,- EUR
- DS with 18-55mm kit: 597,- EUR

So it's more a question of which to choose... I'd go for a bigger burst buffer knowing me and my "tactics". Spot AF anyway - yes, I would do that too.

What about the "fully automatic" mode? Read: for my daughter, my wife, for me for the quick shots in between? Usable or are the results like throwing a coin and praying?

Thanks for all the comments!
Old Mar 12, 2006, 5:53 AM   #8

surprised you can get the DS.. that's what i'd get for just a few $$ more.

roy
Old Mar 12, 2006, 7:36 AM   #9

With that price difference I would get the DS, it does have more features. When my DL with kit lens was purchased it cost the sameas the DS without, and then there was a $50 rebate. The resulting net difference was over $200Cdn. If the difference had been within $100 I would have had the DS.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 9:37 AM   #10

The only issue with the Picture modes (fully automatic) is that they use the "Bright" color option, which produces some oversaturated looks....

Use the P mode, which is mostly fully automatic, and set the color to Natural instead. The only thing you have to do is pop the flash up if you want it... can't set it to Auto.

ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote