Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 11, 2006, 6:00 PM   #1

click here-lense
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2006, 7:39 PM   #2

0 bids, what???
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 8:25 AM   #3

A bit steep for me...

But it would be awfully nice to have.
mutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 10:25 AM   #4

it'd be an awesome buy if you got it for $2500us. these are REALLY expensive..
Old Mar 12, 2006, 10:30 AM   #5

Wouldn't be worth it for my considering the little amount I would use it since it is too big and heavy for the way I shoot.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 10:46 AM   #6

Some six months ago i hade a severe attack of the LBA when I stumbeled over an ad. A proffessional photographer who had gone 100% under water with his work sold all of his over-water-equipment. One piece was a SMC-A* 600 mm f5.6 for 14 900 SEK (1865 USD), barely used.After two sleepless nights I dared to introduce the theme in a conversation with my wife, who proved to be wonderfully understanding. That's love, my friends. So the family bank (our savings account) granted me a loan, and a very happy pappy bought the lens. So, what with it?

Pros: It's not a lens, it's a piece of art. It's as sharp as it can be, it works well with my Pentax A 2XS converter, and it gives you the opportunity to get close to your object even at a distance.

Cons: It's so heavy you don't bring it if you are not sure you're going to use it. It stays behind most of the time. When you have put up the money for the lens you immediately realise that you have to upgrade your tripod. I found something used for 1000 SEK (127 USD) which I use, but it really isn't sturdy enough. The ones that are are beyond my budget limits after buying the lens. DOF? Forget about it, it doesn't exist. Focus on the birds eye, and the shoulder feathers are out of focus even if you stop down a bit. And if you turn the focussing ring 0,1 mm you're out again.

Sample, no cropping, distance about 7 metres(7.7 yds):
Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 11:59 AM   #7

Very nice image, but like the 400 2.8, I know I would not take it with me like I do my FA* 300mm and therefore I don't think I would get my moneys worth out of the investment. I hardly take my FA* 80-200 with me, unless I have a specific use for it because it is so large and heavy.

I have a 500mm Pentax f/4.5 that I never use because it is huge and like you my tripod isn't up to the job.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 5:23 PM   #8

tom,
what ever you are doing stick with it cause you got it down dude..

roy
Old Mar 12, 2006, 5:29 PM   #9

Hi guise so your saying i would be better off puting my $$$ towards a lighter lens such as sigma 170-500
schnauzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 9:41 PM   #10

I think unless you plan on using the big gun lens quite regularly it is a waste.

I recently spoke with one of my local camera dealers about the 170-500mm and the 50-500mm, he was very impressed with the 50-500mm, said is was quite sharp.

I still haven't made up my mind which one and at the same time drool over lenses like these big guns.

But really, unless you plan on spending a lot of time on the sidelines of sporting events getting that magic shot or hunting out famous people at long range for that shot of whoever doing whatever to make the front page I don't think it justifies the expense.
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote