Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 14, 2006, 3:43 PM   #11

A polarizer question - this might be a silly question, but I really am curious. Sunday I took 2 pictures of the same house, from 2 different angles, with 2 different lenses one of which had a polarizer on it (max effect). The photo I took with the polarizerwas sharper than the one taken without, so I was wondering if the polarizer effect could account for the extra sharpness, or ifit was from the different lens(the polarizer was on a 50mm 1.7manual lensand the not as sharp photo was taken with the kit lens), or the location change (not so sharp picture was with the sun behind me, the sharper one was with the sun at right angles, maximizing the polarizer effect). Just wondering if that old lens that came with the ME is really sharper than the kit.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 4:00 PM   #12

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Just wondering if that old lens that came with the ME is really sharper than the kit.

Yes it undoubtedly is, a good prime lens almost always produces sharper images than a relatively cheap zoom. In your case it could have been the polarizer effect that brought up the contrast and saturation, but the old 50mm f1.7 M-series (I have one as well, from an ME Super) will produce sharper images, all else being equal.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 5:02 PM   #13

my two cents
i keep a UV(o) on my lenses mianly for protection. i use hoya filters. i use their middle of the line series. the silver package. Hoya-HMC model. i like them and you can barely tell there is a filter there when you look at it.

roy
Old Mar 14, 2006, 5:43 PM   #14

Thanks for the info - I guessI was surprised that there was as much difference as there was, not only color saturation (expected that) but sharpness in the details, too. Thought that if the difference was with the polarizer, I'd make a point of buying polarizers for all my lenses.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 6:19 PM   #15

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the info - I guessI was surprised that there was as much difference as there was, not only color saturation (expected that) but sharpness in the details, too. Thought that if the difference was with the polarizer, I'd make a point of buying polarizers for all my lenses.
they are too expensive to have one for each lens. get one for the largest you need and a hood and then use step-down rings to use it on the rest..

roy
Old Mar 15, 2006, 9:01 AM   #16

I've thought about step down rings - the big thing I guess I need to establish is what lenses I'll buy in the future, and how big they will be. Still thinking about that. And with polarizers you get the whole issue of linear vs. circular vs. what lenses you have. Things were much simpler in the manual days...
Old Mar 15, 2006, 9:47 AM   #17

the CP will work on any cam. the LP has some issues with some kinds of auto focus. get 72-77mm CP and that will fit just about any lense you get.

roy