Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 11, 2006, 9:34 PM   #1

Im new todigital slrs im looking to purchase some filters I have a istds2 with 16-45 da lens ,since these lenses allready have coatings should i be looking at purchasing the clear protection filters only ?? Or going to a UV and if so should i be looking for pro digital line like hoya or can i use my old fiters from my M42 lenses Any input would be appreciated
schnauzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2006, 9:52 PM   #2

Hi

Well there are two schools of thought on this Subject.
School 1-You always Keep a Filter on the lense For Protection, Most people just leave a UV-1A on all the time.
School 2: You Dont need a Filter, A Lense hood will Protct the lense much better and Besides Its possible that a poor filter Could introduce a problem.

My personal opinion is that the Filter Is Cheap Insurance. As to the make of Filter, No Clue. Personally I reused the Filters From My SLR lenses on the DSLR lenses. Or Bought New ones as needed

So, Your Choice

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 7:28 PM   #3

Thanks BK; this digitals all new to me filters run from $15 up $139 now they have some for digital at the top end weather there worth the money or that there just new so the price is sky high ????
Old Mar 12, 2006, 7:46 PM   #4

I keep filters on all my lenses, both for film and digital, but I always take them off before shooting to maximize the sharpness of the image.

It not only keeps them protected from damage, but keeps smudges off the glass from accidental touching oily objects.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 8:11 PM   #5

I've always used a UV filter or a polarizer for my lenses, but haven't yet bought one to fit the kit lens I got with my DS. At the moment I have only one polarizer, a 49mm one that fits my old 50mm 1.7 lens (and fit the F 70-210 lens that died), and UV filters that fit the 50 mm (both are old Hoya filters I bought in the '80s) and a Tiffen UV filter I originally bought for the FZ30, but kept because it fits the Kiron. Sometimes I shoot with the UV filters on, sometimes I take them off. Under many/most conditions it doesn't seem to make that much difference to me.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 8:24 PM   #6

I actually bought two older second hand lenses that had UV or Skylight filters crazy glued on, I had to unscrew the inner ring that held the glass in place in order to remove them. Right now I do have UV or Skylight filters on all of my AF lenses, but the older MF lenses have Cokin filter holders with hoods and no installed filters (although the rings of the old filters are still in place).

I understand the issue of filter flare ( http://www.steves-digicams.com/smp/02062005.html )and there are definitely circumstances where that is a problem, but old habits die hard and I cannot trust myself without a filter protecting the lens.

Here is what my older lenses look like (lots of protection here):
Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 11:11 PM   #7

I like your idea leaving them on but taking them off when in use ..on my old pentaxes i mean old back in 1965 spotmatic &spot F. spot11.usually left a skylight filter on all my lenses.those cameras keep on going on & on & on never had to send out for repairs I hope my new ISTDS2 dose like wise..
Old Mar 12, 2006, 11:47 PM   #8

Monza thanks for the info{ artical att. excellent} Its going in the same train of thought i have.. and i have decided to purchase B&W mrc filter to protect and for foul weather.. 2 years ago i was in Vietnam and man did it rain my kyocera m410r digital crapped out and i had a yashica t4 super alweatherproof for a back up good thing ..it took a weak for my digital to dry out..
Old Mar 13, 2006, 11:42 AM   #9

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Re. the use of filters, honestly speaking I cannot see a noticeable difference in the images from the use of a UV or Skylight filters. What I do swear by however is the polarizing filter which results in intense blue skies, brighter reds and yellows, and the ability to have fun with reflections off glass buildings, window panes, and water. I do a lot of landscape photography and the polarizer is a must have. Additionally it can double as a Neutral Density filter to slow motion of rivers & streams.

Note: if your camera is an auto-focus model, make sure you get a "Circular" polarizer--a bit more expensive, but will ensure that your autofocusing mechanism will function through the filter.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:09 PM   #10

jelpee

I agree with you, I see UV and skylight filters as lens protectors only.

NOTE: I have however found that, sometimes, in my area, there is a specific haze condition caused by humidity that is not quite fog. Under these condition a stronger skylight filter (I forget what it would be labeled but it has a noticeable pink colour) will increase contrast enough to make a difference.

Although Mike Johnston has shown the effects of filter flare in his article, I will probably continue to use protective filters on my AF zooms.Right now I have no filters on my MF primes (except my 55mm circular polarizer which is currently being "stored" on my 135mm f2.8 Rikenon XR).

I own a 55mm circular polarizer and a 52mm with a step up ring to mount the 52mm on a 49mm lens, I don't need to cover the 58mm zooms because they have rotating front elements which makes using a polarizer too frustrating. I have a linear polarizer to fit my MF mirror lens (just rely on your eye for focus and bracket your exposures), and a linear polarizer to fit the Cokin holders (again, only used on my MF lenses). I have some old Cokin special effects filters from a friend of mine but they will not see much use since PS will allow easier image manipulation.

Sorry for rambling, I again state that a good coated UV filter like a Tiffen or Hoya, is good insurance against damage and, on your less critical lenses, it will probably go unnoticed over 95% of the time. On more serious lenses it may be best to remove protective filters since it may degrade the image by introducing a relatively cheap piece of glass into the process.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote