Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 12, 2006, 4:39 PM   #11

Oh, what a fun thread! Thank you all for sharing what's going on in other places - I love the flowers, the icicles and the large snowball (no ice skates and hockey sticks?)! I'm sure that the Southern California sunshine has gone somewhere else (why not Sweden?)- while it was sunny early this morning, it's snowing lovely big snowflakes right now. It's certainly a wonderful winter wonderland, and half of Los Angeles are making their way up here today (traffic is crazy and there are tons of people up here playing in the snow).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 6:18 PM   #12

half of LA???
think i'd be moving..
mtngal, i think your wintersare like ours. it'll snow and be nice and then go away.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 11:11 AM   #13

My brother-in-law just couldn't wait any longer. He spent the night in the forest in his tent last Saturday to Sundaynight. He was still alive when I went to invite him for breakfast in my nearby, warm and cosy house. Something for you, mntngal?
Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 11:13 AM   #14

But if one looks close enough, there are traces of spring!
Attached Images

Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:30 PM   #15

Your brother looks like a hearty sort of fellow. I love winter, but not to camp out in. I'm definitely a fair-weather camper (having done enough camping in the rain and occasional snow in my young, foolish days). I like my creature comforts (like heat) just a bit too much now.

Your signs of spring must be very welcome - are you really tired of winter now? We got more snow last weekend and the snow conditions a little higher than us were perfect for skiing. I'm hoping for one or 2 more storms - that should set us up for an outstanding wildflower season. What more can you ask for when you have a new, excellent camera?
Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:45 PM   #16

Snow flurries again here, but the daytime temperatures are now in the plus side on the Celsius thermometer (over 32 F). That is why these icicles are becoming more common. Just caught this water drop through my back window yesterday:

Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 4:06 PM   #17

Ira!

Seems like the climate is just the same in Gander and Hassleholm, I could quote you word by word to tell how it is here.

That icicle pic is really a masterpiece!

Kjell
Old Mar 20, 2006, 4:51 PM   #18

Kjell, you should see the 8"X10" print. I really got lucky with that one.

As for climate I think you are a lot farther North than I am but you get the benefit of the North Atlantic Drift. We get the Labrador current and lots of icebergs in the spring. Our Latitude is only about 48 degrees 57 minutes N, about the same as Paris , France. Yours, according to Google Earth is 56 degrees N. You must get really short days in winter (but wow!! late summer evenings!!).

Thanks for the compliment, hope your brother-in-law thaws out soon. My youngest son is a Boy Scout and has a winter camp next weekend. Attached is a picture I just took out my front door.

Ira
Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 5:13 PM   #19

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
You must get really short days in winter (but wow!! late summer evenings!!).
Today is vernal equinox! So now we are heading towards midsummer eve, the probably greatest popular festivity in Sweden (and Finland) Lets see if I can catch the magic "Nordic Light" with my DS. We don't have the midnight sun here in the southern part of the country, but even here we have fairly light nights in summer. On the other hand in winter , especially if one's hobby is to "write with light". I have some of Pentax's finest fast lenses, and I do need them. (FA 50 mm 1.4, A* 85 mm 1.4, A* 200mm 2,8 and the Crown Jewel, the A* 600 mm 5.6)

Kjell

Old Mar 20, 2006, 11:53 PM   #20

Ira - That icicle and drop are really awesome! I've taken some icicles, but never managed to capture the drops falling. Am I ever impressed.

Kjell - lovely sounding group of lenses (sigh). Most of my pictures are taken outside and light isn't usually a problem in Southern California no matter what time of year it is, so I've been eying slower lenses that are smaller and lighter. Hopefully I'll have enough to get the Pentax 50-200 this month, while it still has the rebate, but we've had some unexpected expenses (sigh). I can't wait, because it's half the weight of the Kiron, and I'm tired of carting it around. The more I use it, the more I realize it's limitations. It's nice for macros, but suffers from lens flare more than my other lenses, light really fades at the edges and isn't that sharp at infinity. Is the infinity sharpness limitation something that is common in macro lenses, or just this one?