Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 12, 2006, 3:59 AM   #1

I have just upgraded to a pentax DL and am looking to purchase a macro lense is it better to buy a fixed or variable lense and could anyone please reccomend a lense as i am not sure what lenses are compatible

Thank you

Alan
wild0069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2006, 5:17 AM   #2

You can get a Sigma DG 50mm 1:1 macro f/2.8 for about $650 AUD retail, and its quite a nice lens.

Or you can build a reversing ring for about $3 and mount a 50mm backwards, which is a nice cheap macro
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 5:39 AM   #3

or you can use extension tubes as in these i posted.
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80
or like this. taken yesterday.
Attached Images

Old Mar 12, 2006, 8:02 AM   #4

hi,

i'm a new dl owner also and fwiw i got a used sigma 70-300 macro that will give a field of view of approximately 50mm across. haven't really used it yet for macro stuff so i can't give an opinion on image quality but it was inexpensive and it was mentioned favorably on this forum as well as the tamron 70-300. for macroit's limited to 300mm so i'll probably get some extension tubes. i believe the newer sigmas let you use macro over a range of focal lengths at the upper end.

as far as compatibility, macro or not macro, any lens made for pentax AF with an "a" setting on the aperture ring ( and of course the newer "digital" lenses with no ring) will work on your dl. older pentax lenses will also work with various limitations. check this post -tp://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=82289&forum_id=80for some info on using tubes and teleconverters. also your manual has a good chart that lists usable lenses.

once i get some extension tubes i might look for a 50mm macro since with any given extension a shorter lens gives a larger image. is this lba i hear creeping up on me?

have a great day, eric
ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 10:33 AM   #5

ejbrusselsprout wrote:
Quote:
once i get some extension tubes i might look for a 50mm macro since with any given extension a shorter lens gives a larger image. is this lba i hear creeping up on me?

have a great day, eric
yep... sounds like it.

if you get auto tubes then the 18-55 will work because the cam can talk to the lens.
the 25mm ex. tube i'm using is an old 2x converter i took the glass out of. it is meter coupled so all i have to do is hit the AEL button.

the sigma 70-300 is a lens i have and it takes excellent macros. i'd suggest a tripod because of shake. you need to stop it down to about f11 for best results. you get a working distance of about 3', 1m. my version only allows macro at 300mm. the newer ones offer 200-300mm for macros. get the APO version..