Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 13, 2006, 4:07 PM   #1

Just purchased a new DS based on information from this forum (thank you) and a good deal at Costco, but I have a couple of questions.

Only have taken 40 pictures or so, mostly using P - but most of the indoor shots are turning out underexposed / dark, even when using a flash.I have not played around with many setting yet, just wanted to see if anyone had recommendations. I need to make it easy on my wife for general pictures of the kids.

Before I bought the DS, I took some sample photos with a Nikon D50 and noticed in the exif that the dpi was 300 using the Nikon and 72 dpi with the Pentax when shooting in JPEG. Is this a function of the firmware in the camera? I'm assuming the Pentax does not shoot in 300dpi, is that true?

Thanks for any feedback!
pnstalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2006, 4:19 PM   #2

A 42" x 28" image at 72dpi is the same as a 10" x 6.5" image at 300dpi, so the D50 and DS actually take the same images, since they have the same sensor.

It may be your lens that is causing the underexposure, but if not just change the exposure up +.5 at a time until you get the effect you want right out of the camera.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:11 PM   #3

Cameras do not shoot in "DPI" this is an arbitrary display value applied after the fact. Both the Nikon and the Pentax instead produce an image which is 3008 pixels by 2000 pixels (actually the Pentax image isan inconsequential 8 pixels higher at 2008 due to slightly different use of the actual pixels). That is because the same SONY sensor used in both cameras has an effective pixel "grid" which is 3008 X 2000/2008. The actual images are exactly the same size, the arbitrary DPI count merely means that the 72dpi image will appear much larger on a computer monitor when displayed at "print size".

This DPI / PPI issue comes up regularly, unless you are optimizing images for printing at specific sizes these numbers are practically meaningless. When applied to camera resolution they are totally meaningless. pnstalum, as you said yourself this is just a function of firmware, and as Tom stated the 72dpi figure results in a huge print with large pixels while 300dpi produces a true photo quality print of much smaller size, reverse the numbers and you still have the same effect. Sometimes companies are trying to be helpful by reporting realistic figures, other times they are just trying to impress the newcomer with big numbers.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 1:14 AM   #4

Ah...

Thanks for the explanation of the dpi numbers - I had a feeling that would be the case.

It's only the second day with this camera, but I have to say I love it... the performance is great (especially when compared with theOlympus C-4000Z it replaced), it seems a steel at the Costco price.After playing with it some more, I think I figured out the "under exposed" picture issues when taking indoor shots as well.

Take Care!
Old Mar 15, 2006, 2:13 AM   #5

Okay, still having some problemsgetting consistentindoor shots- they are still "under exposed" / too dark. I did some testing with the metering using Automatic Modes and P Mode, it doesn't seem like the metering is resulting in any change to the aperture setting. at 18mm it is fixed at 3.5 / from 18mm to 35mm it is fixed at 4.0 / from 35mm to 45mm it is fixed at 4.5 and from 45mm to 55 mm it is fixed at 5.6 - regardless of the light conditions.

I'm a bit of anewb with dSLR, and am not sure if this is normal behavior - the only way I can get a indoor shot that looks like it is properly exposed is by bumping up the flash compensation or increasing the exposure compensation or using Av to manually set the aperture. What is the best way (need to keep it simple for my wife while taking pictures of the kids) to get nice indoor shots when a flash is needed.

This is all probably user error, just looking for some suggestions and tips - I should also mention I'm using the lens that came with my DS, a smc P-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6

Take Care
Old Mar 16, 2006, 12:02 AM   #6

pnstalum wrote:
Quote:
Only have taken 40 pictures or so, mostly using P - but most of the indoor shots are turning out underexposed / dark, even when using a flash. I have not played around with many setting yet, just wanted to see if anyone had recommendations. I need to make it easy on my wife for general pictures of the kids.
The answer to this question can be very simple, whilst the cause and the evidence for proofing this can be a very complicated. In short, the culprit I would say is *inaccurate metering* for both ambient light and flash light.

See my homepage and my latest *ist DS below if interested for more:-

http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh/home.html

http://www.epinions.com/content_221813968516

Quote:
Before I bought the DS, I took some sample photos with a Nikon D50 and noticed in the exif that the dpi was 300 using the Nikon and 72 dpi with the Pentax when shooting in JPEG. Is this a function of the firmware in the camera? I'm assuming the Pentax does not shoot in 300dpi, is that true?
This one is not an important parameter, it just specifiy how the printing can be made for how many pixels per inch. You can ignore this for most of the works.

RiceHIgh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote