Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 14, 2006, 5:35 PM   #1

Hi all-

Looking to buy a 1.4 teleconverter for my DS. Any one have an suggestions on a brand

TIA

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2006, 7:50 PM   #2

how about a pentax?
Old Mar 14, 2006, 9:21 PM   #3

I agree with Robar about the Pentax, which is very sharp and has wonderful contrast, although it will limit you to manual focusd and is fairly expensive.

The Tamron seems to be a favorite of many because it is auto focus, but I have never used it, so I can not personally recommend it.

Kenko has a pro version that is auto focus also, but it is expensive and I am not sure the Pro model is available in Pentax mount and I have used their lower priced version (7 element) and found it not to be up the the quality of the Pentax.

I have posted a couple of images using the Pentax 1.4 or this forum if you want to search for them.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:44 PM   #4

Thanks for the replys Roy and Tom

I Checked B&H and you aren'T Kidding about the Cost of the Pentax!! The price is much more reasonable On the Tamron, But i wonder Why the Cost Difference.
The Tamron Cost far less and Offers AF. Certainly must be due To glass Quality.

Tom , I will search the Forum and i guess I will Check on E-bay and see If there are any available.

Thanks

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:56 PM   #5

Here is one!

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 3:30 AM   #6

I have the Tamron 1.4X MC-4 tele-converter for Pentax AF. It is reasonably sharp and cheap, of course there is some degrade in image quality.

The major weaknesses of the Tamron convertor is the inferior lens coating used (when compared with Pentax's SMC coatings) which causes much flare and fading of colors.

Anyway, it is believed that the Tamron convertor was an OEM product from Kenko.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 4:03 AM   #7

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
Hi all-

Looking to buy a 1.4 teleconverter for my DS. Any one have an suggestions on a brand
Take the Pentax AF-1,7x converter!

It supports AF , goodquality.
tekade_alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 4:21 AM   #8

I managed to pick up a Vivitar 2 x tele-converter the other day for $15Aus, about $12US. I don't think the guy selling it had any idea of the true price so I snatched it up.

It has the electrical contacts which I assumed were for aperature and focus but find that I don't get AF and I don't get aperature at all.

I checked the alignment of the contacts and they seem in a different layout to my lenses and camera, but the side says PK-A/R-PK. I have ben told that this is a pentax mount.

The contacts are 6 and then 1 on its own, where as my AF lenses have 1 space 1 space 3. The DL has 7 contacts in a row :O

Is there something wrong with this item, is there one that does give AF and allow full function of Av as well.

Attached Images

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 4:47 AM   #9

i have a kenko 2x tele converter, cost me like $200 goddamit what a waste
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 5:03 AM   #10

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
It has the electrical contacts which I assumed were for aperature and focus but find that I don't get AF and I don't get aperature at all.
Then it simply don't support AF and auto-aperture :-)

Quote:
I checked the alignment of the contacts and they seem in a different layout to my lenses and camera, but the side says PK-A/R-PK. I have ben told that this is a pentax mount.
It supports the old KA lenses, which transmit the aperture electrically wide the row of golden pins you see. For the later Pentax F lens and later generations, only one pin is used to transmit the lens data, so the row of electrical pins are kept only for the sake of maintaining compatibiliy.

Quote:
The contacts are 6 and then 1 on its own, where as my AF lenses have 1 space 1 space 3. The DL has 7 contacts in a row :O
As explained above.

Quote:
Is there something wrong with this item, is there one that does give AF and allow full function of Av as well.
Nope. It is just an old product which was designed to support Pentax KA lens *only* (so you won't have AF) and newer F, FA, DA, DFA lenses may not be compatible with it.

For more info about different K-mount lenses and body, you may wish to see my article below:-

http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh/K_...ure_Bases.html

Cheers,
RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote