Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 3, 2006, 1:04 PM   #21

Black Knight: Yes, thanks, this is exactly the article I saw in some magazine...is this flash released yet, does it look like a good match for my DS, or would Pentax's current flashes be better???...I am not looking to illuminate the world, but I certainly want a flash that is the next step up from the onboard flash...any ideas???
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 11:12 PM   #22

For those who have purchased through Sigma4Less, does the flash come with a USA warranty? I can't determine this from the vendor's website.

Thanks.

Corey
CMotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 5:42 PM   #23

I just double checked the paper work that came with my flash and states that if I need to make use of the warranty, to return it the dealer, which of course isSigma4less.
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 6:21 PM   #24

I have had that same issue with the way over exposed shots. usually after I have shot to many shots in a row or the batteries or low ( that is what I thought) I have done the same thing taken it off shut it off put it back and turn on and all set. Kind of annoying but I like the flash. I have been looking for some tips and tricks or user group to use the flash with the DS. I think I actually lost the user manul . That is killing me as i am sure I am not using the flash they way I should be.
pentaxistds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 6:43 PM   #25

Hi Marsha7

Yes it is avialable. JR Musicworld has it for $399. I really would Consider the Sigma EF-500DG ST . I think I payed $140 and i Absolutely love it. Works perfectly With My DS. It is Far Superior to the built in Flash and most of all resonably priced

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:42 PM   #26

Black Knight: I pulled up Sigma's website, and read the specs for the EF 500 DG Super and the EF 500 DG ST...the specs are virtually identical except that the DG Super weighs 11.8 oz and the DG ST weighs 11.3 oz...

Can anyone tell me why bothe models exist, and why is the DG ST the one I should buy???...as always, thanks...

P.S. I went out today and took some photos of some oreo cows...black front and back with a white center, like an oreo cookie...they were some distance away, so my shots were not that good...first time out, and I realized why I need the 50-200 zoom...no, no, not yet on lenses, I need the flash first...one flash and I will never need another...one lens and I only need 2-3 more...:-):-):blah:
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 9:00 AM   #27

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
John

The EF 500 DG Super is not the better option for the DL, the EF500 DG ST is.

Two reasons

1.The wireless flash function of the Superdoes not work with the DL, the DL does not support it, so why bother getting the Super with wireless when you can't use it.

<Remainder deleted>

Crashman:

I'd be grateful if youwould elaborate more on this. I have a DL and am interested in one of the two Sigma flash units.

Looking at the Pentax manual, the DL supports wireless with the '360 flash and looking at Sigma's compatibility table, the DL supports wireless with the 'Super. However, there is a caveat about the 'Super only being usable as a Master.

Does this mean I can't use a second 'Super as a wireless Slave? Eventually, I would like to.

Regarding the 'Super's High Speed Sync function, this means it can be used as a fill flash at higher shutter speeds, correct? Based on the 'ST compatibility table,the 'STdoesn't support this function. If I want a fill flash unit, is my only option the 'Super?

Thank you.

Regards,

Corey
Old Apr 8, 2006, 11:46 PM   #28

By my comment I was saying that the DL does NOT support Wireless and therefore the ST was the better option, but I didn't take into account the flash fill/rear curtain aspect.

There is a conflict there with Pentax and Sigma, Pentax says it does support Wireless on its documentation and Sigma saying that it doesn't.

If you have the extra couple of bucks go for the Super and you will at least have rear curtain and high speed sync. As for the Master Slave issue, any ST will slave off of another ST.

If your plan is to get two of these, then get the Super to start with and then an ST for your slave. These flahses are not that expensive and I quite like them.

I just had a thought, go to your photo retailer with your camera and see if it will do what you want it to do. Put on an ST and see if you can set off another ST and see if you can get a Super to activate via wireless.

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 10:26 AM   #29

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
<Text deleted...>
Quote:
As for the Master Slave issue, any ST will slave off of another ST.

<Text deleted...>
Quote:
I just had a thought, go to your photo retailer with your camera and see if it will do what you want it to do. Put on an ST and see if you can set off another ST and see if you can get a Super to activate via wireless.

Regarding slaving an 'ST, does it state this in the user's manual (which unfortunately isn't available for download unlike that for the 'Super)? I asked Sigma Customer Support if the 'ST could be a wireless slave to the 'Super, and the responded No - The ST cannot be used wirelessly. Yet, in the 'ST page on the Japanese Sigma site, wireless operation is discussed, however SUPER is stated in the section rather than ST, so I fear it's an erroneous cut and paste from the 'Super page.

Unfortunately, I've yet to find these flash units locally, so it's find out as much as I can and hope I mail-order the right one.

Finally, have you found a good web page that discusses how wireless flash works?

My continued thanks.

Corey

Old Apr 10, 2006, 9:33 AM   #30

I am at work right now, but will check my instructions for the St when I get home tonight.

This is what it says in the Super

http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english...0dg_sup.htm#05

Built-in flash cannot be used for wireless flash. It can only be set if two or more EF-500 DG SUPER units are used.

As I said, I will re-read my manual and let you know.

Regards

Crashman
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote