Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 17, 2006, 9:22 PM   #1

I`ve been havin' more fun than a barrel of primates with my new DS. Last weekend I went to a outdoorrock concert, at night, and it quickly became evident that the pop up flash on the DSdoesn`t "cut it". I do have a Vivitar 285 flash unit that would more than likely work out, but a dedicated flash would most likely work out better, for those "quick, don`t think about it" type shots that happen at rock concerts. The lense that I used last weekend was a Tamron 18~200 digital lense, and it all worked outall fairly well. I did have to use a pic editing program, Irfan View, to sharpen and crop the shots.

So, does anybody out there in cyber universe have a DS, or Dl, with the Sigma EF 500? If so, watcha think about it?

Tomorrow night, the DS, with the Tamron18~200, at the county fair! WOOHOO!

S`later, JH :G
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2006, 9:37 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

John,

I recently purchased a Sigma EF 500 DG Super for use with my DL and it works great! When I purchased my DL, I attempted to use my existing Sunpak Pentax dedicated TTL flash but found that the TTL circuitry was not compatible with the DL. THis resulted in pictures being over exposed especially when the subjects were from 2-10 feet. The Sigma/DL combination provides perfect exposures even in macro shots. The EF 500 Super is the Lexus of the line up. I understand that the EF 500 also will work with the DL/DS series cameras, and is about $50 less expensive, but lacks features of the DG Super such as wireless flash, manual power adjustments, etc. No doubt some of these features are just cool to have vs. one actually using them! By the way. the only way to use the older generation flashes is to run the camera on manual.

In the mean time, I am pleased with the DG Super!

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 9:44 PM   #3

John

I have the EF500 ST and the DS. I also found out the hard way that the Builtin Flash was sorely lacking.
So I stepped up and bought the EF500ST. I felt i did not need the extra features that the Super included. So i saved the money
The pictures taken with it have been absolutly Perfect. I can Highly reccomend It.

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 3:43 AM   #4

John

The EF 500 DG Super is not the better option for the DL, the EF500 DG ST is.

Two reasons

1.The wireless flash function of the Superdoes not work with the DL, the DL does not support it, so why bother getting the Super with wireless when you can't use it.

2. The latest version of the EF500 DG ST now comes with PA P-TTL, which is basicaly the best thing since sliced bread. It has all the same fucntionality as the Super but with the P-TTL it takes perfect shots everytime, no over exposure. Unless they have an upgarded model the the Super, the current model i.e. Feb this year, only had TTL and not P-TTL. The DS supports the older style TTL, the DL only supports the newer style P-TTL.

For the DS, you can use either the ST or the Super, just depends whether or not you want the wireless capability.

The other day I was playing with my camera and set it to ISO1600, TTL flash just to fill in, continuous mode, manual focus, and set up some paparazzi style attacks on my work colleagues in the office during the day.

As fast as the camera could take shots, the EF500 DG ST continued to flash, it was like a machine gun, every shot was well exposed. :|:|:|

The EF500 models have a focusable flash head, which means as you adjust your zoom (focal length), so the flash adjusts its focus to compensate, likea maglite torch beam is focusable from wide to spot.

The Sigma EF500 flashs are excellent for the Pentax DS and DL and very nicely priced.

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 9:29 AM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Crashman,

The DG super which I purchased in March '06 comes with the PA-P-TTL circuitry. I too considered the DG-ST for my DL. However, when I was researching the compatibility of this the DG-ST on Sigma's website, it did not show the DL as being compatible. On the other hand, when I looked at the compatibility matrix for the DG Super, it showed the DS and the DL as compatible models.

Therefore, I agree that the DG-ST would defintiely work with the DS. However, I have not been able to confirm if it would work seamlessly with the DL. Therefore, I opted to get the DG-Super.

If anyone has had experience with using the DG-ST with the *istDL, let me know.

Best regards, Jay

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 11:22 PM   #6

If you class seamlessly as almost "point and shoot" and not have ot worry about anything aspect, then the ST works great with my DL.

I basically set my F stop to 8 or 11, let camera set Tv to 180 and shoot away, perfect exposures everytime with P-TTL.

I tend to do a lot of close up work with my job and when I take my Pentax to work to use rather than the works N*k*n D100 it just keeps on performing. Day shots and lots of night time shots.

Another guy in our office bought the D50, it took him 2 months to decide between the DL and the D50, he is O/Seas at the moment giving it a work out, will be interested at what he says when he comes back.

Another guy in our office went out to buy his DL yesterday, so will be looking ofrward to his comments too.

I am very very happy with the Sigma EF500 flash, has long reach and communicates perfectly with my DL to give me the most appropriate flash pulse every time.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 6:48 PM   #7

Last night I ordered a Sigma EF-500 DG ST from Sigma4less.com ($143.41 with shipping) for my DS. I did check out Sigma4less at resellerratings.com and they have really good ratings. I did recieve a confirmation e-mail from Sigma4less, and it should be here in a few days. Thanks everybody for your feed back. Next weekend I`ll go out andstrobe something! :G
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 4:54 AM   #8

I highly recommend getting an off camera cable, I use a 60cm one, just enough divergance of flash angle to create lovely shots and obviously very handy when doing macro work without a ring flash.

You will enjoy your EF500
Old Mar 27, 2006, 9:00 AM   #9

I too have purchased a EF-500 DG ST from Sigma4less. I feel I got a great deal and great service from them. And the flash works great with my DL. Although the Sigma US website did not list the DL as compatible, the Sigma Japan site did.
bobdem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 1:51 AM   #10

hey crash man you got any photos with that flash?
Andre_L is offline   Reply With Quote