Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 19, 2006, 7:51 PM   #1

Hi all.

I've been snooping the boards for about a year now and I finally broke down and bought a DL. It's soooooo nice.

I wondered though... I tend to walk around with it in my hand and I wondered if you fine folks had any suggestions for a cheap handstrap that's comfy. I saw some nonames out of china that looked neat but I wondered what you were using?

Thanks for your time.

Steph

ps. One of my first shots. I'm liking this more than I should I think.
Attached Images

stephers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2006, 1:32 AM   #2

I'm interested to get one too, where it is made for this littel accessory don't bother me :-) Any link(s) to the product you mentioned?

BTW, I like your picture except the a bit large dark region in the right.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 9:12 AM   #3

Welcome Steph

Don't bein a rush to get a hand strap too quick, by the time you have picked up a few different lenses for the new DL you will want that neck strap to hold the camera while you fiddle with changing lenses..:G

I think you shot is good if a little dark on that corner and I can see what you were going for in the composition. Happy snapping.:|
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 9:42 AM   #4

:idea:I got a Hakuba hand strap from B&H for $6.50 plus shipping. I tried one of the fancier back-of-the-hand straps (like the ones on video cams) but it didn't feel secure and it didn't fit the small Pentax DS body. The Hakuba hand strap is much cheaper too.

I used to wrap the neck strap around my wrist all the time (even when changing lenses) then got tired of the loose fit and having to re-wrap all the time. The Hakuba one is of decent quality and feels much more secure than either the wrapped neck strap or the video-cam style straps.

RG
Rob22315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 9:56 AM   #5

I use the Sunpak "Contoured Hand Strap for SLR Camera" on my DS2, and it works great for me. It's available at B & H for $14.95.

Dan
dan-mx-ds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 3:24 PM   #6

Excellent. Thank you for the helpful suggestions.

About the pic. I was fooling around with the exposure on that. I love being able to flip up and down on the fly. It's awesome. With the 35 mil mz-7 I was so worried about wasting film. Now I'm only having to worry about battery life. I think my pic taking will go to a new level now. Yeah!!! Now I can flip my iso on the fly too. I made the realization that the auto iso really doesn't work well in manual mode so I've got years of experimenting before me. Sweeeeeet.

Thanks for the crits. It is a bit muddy. I'll take it into account for the next sunset piece.

I'm not sure if the Hakuba is what I'm looking for. I like the idea but I don't like the idea of letting go of my grip. I think I'll see what I can find similar to conventional vid cam straps... The sunpack looks like a nice unit...

I was looking at this one since it has a tripod mount hole as well and almost does look like the sunpack with a different name.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Camera-hand-stra...QQcmdZViewItem

stephers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 3:43 PM   #7

Steph, FWIW, my Sunpak hand strap does have a tripod socket in the bottom of the mounting screw knob, just like the one you posted.

Dan
dan-mx-ds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 6:04 PM   #8

For what it's worth, I've been using a Hakuba Grip-PH on my *ist D for over a year.

1 - If you're careful, you can attach both the hand grip and neck strap at the same time. The directions show hot to mount the stap with the body hanging vertically. Iv'e got the strap mounrted so the camera body hangs horizontally. I'm just used to workking that way.

2- The wrist wrap provides added stability and safety.

3 - It's a sturdy, well-made product that includes a working tripod mount.

4 - On the D, it works with or without the grip.

Larry in Dallas
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote