Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 20, 2006, 11:04 AM   #1

Hi everyone - Here in the Northwest, Spring is finally coming, although it is quite muddy in places. One of my favorite things to photograph is the Spring wildflowers andhaving a new DL will make it more fun. It captures so much detail, I didn't see the small weed hair in the center until I looked at it on the computer. For those interested, it wasshot inRAW, convertedusing PPL2 to a tiff, then a jpeg in Irfanview (veryneat free program). Let's see some of yours as Spring progresses and works it magic of color. This one is a Sagebrush Buttercup- Bruce

bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2006, 2:34 PM   #2

Still have six inches of snow here, so it will be a week or so before anything starts to grow here. This is the only flower around here right now and it is in the basement under a grow light, about 3/4 if an inch wide.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 2:34 PM   #3

Wildflowers are going to have to wait a few weeks - it snowed again Friday night. So I spent Sunday snowshoeing in near perfect snow conditionsand taking wonderful picturesof skiers, sledders, ice and snow on the trees, etc. I'd love to see everyone else's wildflowers - it'll give me an idea of things to take when spring comes.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 2:39 PM   #4

In the NE. Flowers are still several weeks away also. No snow left, but temps are in the 30's ands low 40's during the day. They are talking about a snow possibility later this week

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 5:32 AM   #5

sure glad i'm a southern boy.
Attached Images

Old Mar 21, 2006, 6:49 AM   #6

2 from me, wow I havent posted photos here for a long time.

These 2 are from last year

errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 8:23 AM   #7

Here are 3 shot of the early spring flowers in Hong Kong. The first photo was taken on a sunny day at noon whilst the other two was taken on an overcast day near the evening (using high ISO speed):-

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 9:50 AM   #8

This is great guys, flowers from around the world. I will add one more I took a couple days ago. This is Spring Whitlow-grass and is one of the smallest wildflowers. The yellow center is about the size of a ball point pen head. Kind of hard to focus on, but I will keep trying. If anyone has advice for focusing on small things, I'm all ears. I am using spot focusing. Theseshut like Tulips when the sun isn't out bright - Bruce

Old Mar 21, 2006, 10:17 AM   #9

Shooting small flowers is somehow interesting. I attach another picture below for an about 1cm sized flower which I shot at Germany in 2004. I used the *ist D and the DA 16-45 at 45 and at near the closest macro distance range.

Focusing an relatively small object of which the size is much smaller than the central focus bracket is not easy as the AF sensitivity area is relative large, see:-

(pls ignore the mis-alignment of the red mark, which should not be existent for a properly calibrated camera body)

Thus, it is indeed desirable sometimes for a pinpointed focus senstivity area for precise works. The MZ film bodies are better in this regard. However, for fast moving objects, a larger area for more coverage is prefered. All in all, you can't get best of both worlds..

The bottom line is to use MF whenever the AF won't work! The techniques is to narrow down the hunting range for the correct focus point gradually and you will find it finally! Of course, the first thing we need to know is that when the AF of our DSLRs won't work for us..

Hope these help. ^_^

Regards,
RiceHigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 12:57 PM   #10

Good information. I shot the Witlow-grass above with a #4 close up lens on my 18-55mm at its closest focus. There's not much room for error at these close distances, even a little hand shake makes a big difference. I guess practice makes perfect- Bruce