Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 22, 2006, 12:59 PM   #11

Although I like the idea of an upgrade path, I am more likely to buy another DL or DL2 or DS2 to act as a backup body. I can get the image quality I want now from the 6MP cameras, unless there is a big change in future, I see no need to upgrade.

As for card compatibility, I would hope that at leastan ad hoc standard will appear that can be installed through firmware upgrade. Even Canon and Nikon now use SD cards in DSLRs (Canon even has SD as the second slot in its pro modelss) so I think it is safe to assume (I know, dangerous word) there will be a standard high capacity card soon.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 1:54 PM   #12

My issue with high capacity cards is that I don't want all my eggs in one basket just in case I drop the basket. I would not be happy spending all day or even all week taking photos and then having them all go away because of a card failure.

I only use 512 (jpg) and 1Gig (RAW) cards, which I then dump into a HD80 card storage HD that I have on my belt and I am good to go once again. It takes about 90 seconds to dump the 1 Gig card and another 30 seconds to format the card in the camera.

No 2Gig and 4Gig cards for me, so I don't care about compatibility with current models and I certainly am not going to fret about a camera that doesn't even exist yet.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 4:25 PM   #13

I am In agreement with Tom on that. The biggest card i will use is a 1G card. I Own three. I have more than one since i shot Exclusivly in raw. When shooting Motorsports and Airshows I am Shooting non stop. Hence the reason I carry 3 cards
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:26 PM   #14

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
My issue with high capacity cards is that I don't want all my eggs in one basket just in case I drop the basket. I would not be happy spending all day or even all week taking photos and then having them all go away because of a card failure.
Actually, *all* memory cards I have used are very reliable. I got my first 64MB CF card in 2000 and since then, I have used various SM, CF I, CF II, MD, MS, xD, RS-MMC and SD cards of various size from 8M to 4GB. I have never found any of them to fail..

Quote:
I only use 512 (jpg) and 1Gig (RAW) cards, which I then dump into a HD80 card storage HD that I have on my belt and I am good to go once again. It takes about 90 seconds to dump the 1 Gig card and another 30 seconds to format the card in the camera.
Harddisks in digital wallets are not as safe as memory cards, IMHO. Also, isn't that it is really "putting all eggs into a single basket" when we are using digital wallet and dump all the data into a single harddisk?

Quote:
No 2Gig and 4Gig cards for me, so I don't care about compatibility with current models and I certainly am not going to fret about a camera that doesn't even exist yet.
It's a good time to express our hope and concern on the coming mid-market model, which is probably having the Shake Reduction system which should be very useful if properly implemented with well enough performance.

Also, for me, the *ist DS was not the camera I planned to own only temporarily on day one I got it to replace my *ist D.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:28 PM   #15

RiceHigh wrote:
Quote:
Also, for me, the *ist DS was not the camera I planned to own only temporarily on day one I got it to replace my *ist D.
Typo here, I mean the *ist DS was NOT the camera I planned to own for long..

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh[/quote]
Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:41 PM   #16

pic_*ist wrote:
Quote:
Not to mention I haven't read anyone having any problems with the new 2 GB SD cards from a good manufacturer on any forum.
http://groups.google.com.hk/group/re...6c1004fb7a1d4e
Old Mar 23, 2006, 8:41 AM   #17

Thanks for breaking the tables, and pointing us to a single thread on an obscure google newsgroup.

EDIT: You even started that thread, what makes you think we would want to read the same crap over again?

Back on topic, I have a 2GB SD card which reads in my camera fine, reads in my card reader fine and in the card readers of the self-service kiosks at work fine.
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 7:22 PM   #18

ok, I would say that isn't a good example since the Sandisk Ultra is one of my 2 GB cards I use that brand exclusivel.So I have a couple 512's, one 1GB, and a single 2 GB all with no problems¬*
pic_*ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 12:59 AM   #19

errno_gmm wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for breaking the tables, and pointing us to a single thread on an obscure google newsgroup.

EDIT: You even started that thread, what makes you think we would want to read the same crap over again?

Back on topic, I have a 2GB SD card which reads in my camera fine, reads in my card reader fine and in the card readers of the self-service kiosks at work fine.
What crap? One of the posters at Google replied that he had compatibility problem with his 2GB SD card which is not accessible by several card readers and computer of his. And I simply show the link to that post.

Afterall, the true crappy post is that made by who replied on person but not on topic.

RiceHigh
Old Mar 24, 2006, 1:01 AM   #20

pic_*ist wrote:
Quote:
ok, I would say that isn't a good example since the Sandisk Ultra is one of my 2 GB cards I use that brand exclusivel.So I have a couple 512's, one 1GB, and a single 2 GB all with no problems
Yes, Sandisk is the safest way to go, as almost all manufacturers/testers/reviewers will carry tests using the make..

RiceHigh