Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 21, 2006, 3:02 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 344
Default

Well, the coming Pentax 10M DSLR is a DSLR using SD memory card:-

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/pa...-3308-5-1.html

However, common/industrial standard of SD card is bounded at the 1GB ceiling:-

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0603/06...nic4gbsdhc.asp

.. and there is no standard estabished with SD card higher than 1GB and even the SDHC standard by Panasonic has not yet been finalised but the worse thing is Phil Askey says that the SDHC is NOT compatible with standard SD cameras!

Thus, what do you think? (if a 10M DSLR can only take either =<1GB SD card or only to take the coming SDHC card)

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2006, 3:32 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 99
Default

RiceHigh wrote:
Quote:
Well, the coming Pentax 10M DSLR is a DSLR using SD memory card:-.asp

.. and there is no standard estabished with SD card higher than 1GB and even the SDHC standard by Panasonic has not yet been finalised but the worse thing is Phil Askey says that the SDHC is NOT compatible with standard SD cameras!

Thus, what do you think? (if a 10M DSLR can only take either =<1GB SD card or only to take the coming SDHC card)
That's theory !

1. There are SD-cards with more than 1 GB. My DS works perfectly with a 2GB-Kingston-card. Higher capacities will come and work

2. What's about a firmware-update making cam's compatibel to new cards? (remember the DS-update, making the DS use cards with more than 1GB)

I think: wait for the 10MPx-cam and start to complain afterwards!:lol:
tekade_alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 4:00 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Peacekeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,024
Default

I agree, the current SD cards are supported to 2Gig and I have no doubt that the 4 Gigs will get supported by the te this camera hits the streets
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 5:15 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 344
Default

tekade_alfred wrote:
Quote:

That's theory !

1. There are SD-cards with more than 1 GB. My DS works perfectly with a 2GB-Kingston-card. Higher capacities will come and work

2. What's about a firmware-update making cam's compatibel to new cards? (remember the DS-update, making the DS use cards with more than 1GB)
The 2GB and 4GB SD cards which are currently on market are *not* built according to *any* standard set by the SD ssociation (as the standard has NOT yet been finalised) and thus these non-standard items will likely have compatibility problem later on with older and newer devices which don't support these "special" SD card. A good example is that some *ist DS user reported that some 2GB card cannot work on the camera with latest firmware. (if interested, do a search at the various forums).

My advice is to avoid 2GB and 4GB SD cards which can be purchased now and get these later on when the STANDARDS have been finalised. It is really wise to do so, in order to secure our investment.

Quote:
I think: wait for the 10MPx-cam and start to complain afterwards!:lol:
Well, I don't think I am complaining. I think my worry should be considered, it is beneficial to anyone afterall. :-)

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 6:19 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
ennacac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,198
Default

I am not sure why it is beneficial to worry about something that does not exist yet, such as the new Pentax.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 7:36 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 344
Default

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
I am not sure why it is beneficial to worry about something that does not exist yet, such as the new Pentax.

Tom
Simple, there exists a major problem for using SD card for a 10M DSLR, at least for now. Thus, it is a big potential problem for the new camera, I think Pentaxians should discuss the issue before it is too late, i.e., when the camera is actually out!

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 9:54 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 250
Default

tekade_alfred wrote:
Quote:
I think: wait for the 10MPx-cam and start to complain afterwards!:lol:

LMFAO!
Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 3:15 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 344
Default

Panzergnome wrote:
Quote:
tekade_alfred wrote:
Quote:
I think: wait for the 10MPx-cam and start to complain afterwards!:lol:
LMFAO!
It's not a complain. It's a technicial concern on a technical limitation on the current SD standard which the problem has not yet been resolved!

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 11:01 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 81
Default

RiceHigh wrote:
Quote:
ennacac wrote:
Quote:
I am not sure why it is beneficial to worry about something that does not exist yet, such as the new Pentax.

Tom
Simple, there exists a major problem for using SD card for a 10M DSLR, at least for now. Thus, it is a big potential problem for the new camera, I think Pentaxians should discuss the issue before it is too late, i.e., when the camera is actually out!

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh

Pentax hasn't even announced what its storage plan is for this camera yet. All we knowis what the storage door looks like on the prototype...

Not to mention I haven't read anyone having any problems with the new 2 GB SD cards from a good manufacturer on any forum.
pic_*ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 12:09 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Catbells's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 874
Default

As I don't plan to purchase this item, I'll let those that do worry about when more details are available - in the meantime I'm happy that my 1G card takes 90+ shots in RAW with my *istDS.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 AM.