Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 21, 2006, 4:19 AM   #1

Shake reduction, image stabilisation, what ever you call it is going to be part of this camera's features.

Current other makes have this feature in the lens, where one of the internal lenses is held by four points with small motors that constantly move to correct the lens and account for hand movement.

This works well except when you bang your lens and it then needs recalibrating and it doesn't have to be hard knock either.

Obviously if you want to update to this feature with other makes you have to buy all new lenses that have IS or SR.

Intro the new Pentax where the SR is in the camera body and works with all your old lenses.

The best part is that there are no moving parts with the Pentax version, none at all. The sensor is larger than our current sensor but small than a full size 35mm sensor.

The image from the lens is projected onto the sensor and the extra unused edges of the sensor are used for the SR.

The focused image is allowed to float about across the sensor to move onto parts of the sensor not being utilised for the image when your hand shakes the camera.

The software deals with the required calculations to ensure the image is collected from the appropiate pixels to creat the image.

Thats what you get when you combine Pentax, Samsung and Phillips technology.

Phillips CCD's in Pentax cameras are going strong. 3.5 million Sony CCD's are being given a free recall to fix them, guess which make that is....it ain't Pentax:G??
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2006, 7:46 AM   #2

AS and SR in body is economical and it is very attractive to turn all old lenses featuring the AS/SR.

However, IS/VR in lens could have the optimal results since the shaking can be eliminated in the most effective way and the correction lens element could be place at the most suitable place. But, it is expensive and new lenses must be acquired.

Same pros and cons for AF in lens Vs AF in body :-)

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 5:26 PM   #3

Do you have a source for your Anti Shake information?

KM has had it in their dSLR bodies for a couple years, and theirs moves the sensor, so what makes you think Pentax will not move the sensor in their body?
ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 6:02 PM   #4

On the Pentax site the A10 Optio uses this methog of IS:

The Shake Reduction mechanism is made possible by two internal gyro sensors that detect camera shake while a dedicated CPU calculates the required correction to compensate for the level of camera shake while focusing. In turn, a proprietary mechanism adjusts the CCD automatically based on the calculation and compensates for the camera shake to help deliver sharper images.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:19 PM   #5

The source of my information is a Certified Pentax repairer and photography expert.

He was able to explain it a lot beter than I did and drew some diagrams to assist,he was very sure of his information and quite specific that there is no moving parts at all, it is all electronic in its adjustment of the IS or SR.

He replaced my focusing screen on my DL while i was there, which some say you can't do on the DL and gave it a FREE sensor clean.

I now have a brighter one with some interesitng lines on that I find easier for manual focusing, he even had one with graduation along the axis' almost like a rifle scope.

Showed mea DL that he had just repaired, the owner dropped it when standing on a 10 ft ladder, the camera fell to the conrete floor below.

He replaced the top cover and front cover around where the lens protrudes, everything else was okay including the Sigma lens. Now that is Pentax Tough, total repair cost, $90 Aus ($65 US), (go that Steel framed body
Old Mar 22, 2006, 8:22 PM   #6

i know all to well how tough they are after seeing mine hit the concrete, bounce 2-3 times, and do a couple of rolls. i was sick.. result= nothing, not a mark..period.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 5:26 PM   #7

so when this camera be out ? and i am confuses on the lens part do you ned new lens or not?
Andre_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 3:01 AM   #8

From what was said to me, NO.

We can keep using our current lenses, the IS or SR is in the camera only.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 2:26 AM   #9

something to think about.... if the DA series lenses are configured for aps-c size sensors and presumably the new 10 meg sensors normal image recording area is is also aps-c size, what is going to happen when you put a FA film lens on the camera?

will it record an image on the full larger sensor, will the camera get confused and throw a wobbly, will it be the end of using film lenses on their new digital bodies, or will they write into the firmware special instructions regarding film lenses??

given the choice I would rather have a full frame sensor over image stablization. after all generations of photographers have taken stunning images without IS.
hamtaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 8:28 AM   #10

My experience with IS (Canon and Sony) is the a stationary object photographed with IS active will actually be degraded compared to the same object photographed without IS.

It will make a hand held slow shutter speed photograph sharper (less shake) than is would be without IS, but that is its only value, and it does not replace a tripod or fast shutter speed for normal photographs.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote