Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 24, 2006, 5:27 AM   #31

here's a composite i got at the zoo. haven't seen any in the wild here.
Attached Images

Old Mar 24, 2006, 8:04 AM   #32

It might be worth your while to get CS since the burn tool of very worth while while dealing with dynamic range in photos. Here is a before and after shot of your image after burning in some of the white feathers.

bright eyes wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Tom!

Unfortunately I don't have Photoshop CS only the Photoshop Elemnet 2. There is no burn tool in Element 2 but I suppose I can use the selection tool to isolate the white head and then reduce the brightness and contrast there. That should make the detail show up better, similar to the result of the burn tool. Thanks for the suggestion.

-BE
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 8:06 AM   #33

Nice shot robar, I like the composite.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 8:47 AM   #34

bright eyes, are you sure about that burn tool, I have the original PhotoShop Elements (doesn't even have a version number) and it has dodge and burn tools. I use this program almost exclusively since I do not own (but no have some access to) CS2. Check your tools again, I can't see Adobe remove such important tools from their later versions, perhaps it is buried in there somewhere.

The only truly desireable features missing from my PS Elements is a RAW converter (no big deal) and the channel mixer (which I have experimented with for B&W conversions, but have never gotten the hang of). I have come to the conclusion that, at this point in my development as a digital photographer, CS2 is more than I need or even want.

Ira

BTW, this forum is for the birds

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 3:11 PM   #35

BE
pretty sure PSE2 has the burn tool. it's grouped with the dodge and sponge tool. you have to hold the left button down to open the pop out. i know it was in PSLE which was before PSE. you really might think of moving up to PSE4. get it for under $100 and it's going to do anything you want. it even has Adobe Camera Raw, acr, for doing raw images. you'd be surprized at the more control you have shooting in raw.

roy
Old Mar 24, 2006, 3:21 PM   #36

B E
here's an image. maybe that will help.
Attached Images

Old Mar 24, 2006, 3:27 PM   #37

Hi Bright eyes

I have To agree with Robar and Monza76. I have been using Elements from the beginning and the Burn Tool is there. I am currently using PSE4 and its there.
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 4:16 PM   #38

I have PSE2 and can confirm that dodge and burn tools are there.
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 10:19 PM   #39

Hey, you guys are absolutely right. There's the burn tool right before my eyes and I didn't even know. :shock:Gees, I was looking at the menus at the top and forget to check those little icons at the left. My mistakes, thank you for pointing it out. I had the softwares for almost a year and didn't quite discover all the tools yet. Actually I don't use it often and when I do, I only use may be 25% of its potential. Guess I better spend more time with it, god knows what I am missing.

And Tom, that burn tools effect is amazing! I can sure tell the improvement, thanks!

Thanks again, guys! Learn somthing new everyday.

-BE
bright eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 4:35 AM   #40

B E,
i ve been using PS since v5.5 and i think i've about 2% understanding of the program. i'd love to see you upgrade to PSE4 as the difference is night and day compared to PSE2..

roy