Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 25, 2006, 3:22 AM   #1

I was at a Pentax repair shop the other day picking up a Pentax M42 adapter and got talking.

It was mentioned about different things that get heard on the internet and about how half of it is rubbish and half is close to the the truth.

As an exmaple he showed me a microscopic macro he did himself, which according to sources on the internet said couldn't be done.

He used a Pentax microscope adaptor,which was designed to fit on the eye piece of a microscope for the purposes of taking pictures of images viewed by the microscope.

Instead he placed an actual microscope lense directly onto the adaptor and used it as a super macro lens. Luckily the microspoe lens fit perfectly on the endof the adapter.

The image is a 5c piece, if you look at the picture you can see a real 5c piece on the picture f the enlarged 5c, to the left you can see a closer shot again of the 5c piece.

Attached Images

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2006, 3:28 AM   #2

I was very impressed with the size of the images and how clear they were. This is a close up of the adaptor, the microscope lens and 5c piece.

Personally I haven't read anything anywhere that says you can't do it like this, but I cansee the logic in his method.

Attached Images

Old Mar 25, 2006, 4:56 AM   #3

The chromattic abberations look pretty bad there, and I get excellent magnification by reversing my 28mm. I can take a picture of a 5c later on and i will post it here
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 10:29 PM   #4

Please do.

I was mostly just impressed with the size of the image considering it was using a secondhand microsope lens.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 10:33 PM   #5

it's easy to get rid of the CA with the right software. what do you have??
Old Mar 25, 2006, 10:36 PM   #6

errno_gmm wrote:
Quote:
The chromattic abberations look pretty bad there, and I get excellent magnification by reversing my 28mm. I can take a picture of a 5c later on and i will post it here
errno,

i find using the 28mm reversed is just a little too much mag for me to handle. do you have some pointers??
Old Mar 25, 2006, 11:08 PM   #7

I don't this is not my macro set up, it was some images I saw and photographed the pics and the adapter.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 1:10 AM   #8

I don't understand What I'm seeing in your pics. Theres a picture, a large coin, a small one beside it. Then an adaptor layong on the large coin. Is this a conventional bayonet?

50mm, about the 3d shot after getting the reversing ring.

Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 6:02 AM   #9

This is with the 28mm, 1/45s at f22 with flash. Same 5c piece as above. Its a full frame resize to 700px wide, and as you can see its slightly out of focus but it illustrates the magnification

robar: I just use my finger to open the apeture up, try to be as steady as possible, and get the point I want the most in focus, release the apeture lever and click the shutter. Usually takes a few goes to get the right depth of field though, but I always use it at f/22- and its still extremely shallow
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 7:43 AM   #10

i still prefer the 50mm reversed. a little more working distance and DOF. ring light helps enormously..