Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 29, 2006, 8:52 PM   #1

i wanted to know if this lens was used by anyone and wanted to know how good it is. can it be use for portrait's and models?
Andre_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2006, 9:09 PM   #2

andre,
it one of the best macro lenses out there. it'll also do great as a portrait lense. get it on ebay. you'll save 50%.. i'm definately wanting one.

i'll say this also. all the 90-100mm f2.8 macro lenses offered are good lenses.
ie: tamron,sigma,tokina,pentax...
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:57 PM   #3

dos this lens have a apature ring? i like to take a class and have the lens with me but i rather just have my zx-m and not buy a new film camera just for the AF.i also want the 70-300mm sigma.i plan on doing studio work so i think the 105mm will be a nice.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 5:39 PM   #4

the film camera one does for sure. i'm not sure about the new DI model. google it and find out.

roy
Old Mar 30, 2006, 5:47 PM   #5

In my opinion the DG coating is over rated, and quite possibly a marketing ploy! I have two Sigma lenses, one with the coating and one without and I see absolutely no difference in the photos they take.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 7:59 PM   #6

well i don't know if it have apature ring or not but its all good to me. DG coating or not i think it still a good idea for DG coating becasueyou never know.i buy this lens for portrait photography. someone told me a 105mm is a good lens for that.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:04 PM   #7

actually,
i know a couple of people that did not buy this lense for portraits because it is TOO sharp. most portraits need that little bit of softness to them.. with the crop factor an 85mm might be more to your likeing or evan a 50mm which is a digital 75mm.

roy
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:09 PM   #8

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
In my opinion the DG coating is over rated, and quite possibly a marketing ploy! I have two Sigma lenses, one with the coating and one without and I see absolutely no difference in the photos they take.

Tom
tom,
i agree 100%.. i've seen many images from both and i can't see a bit of difference. this is a lens on my purchase list but i doubt i'll get the digital version. it's as good or better than the canon 100mm .
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:29 PM   #9

robar wrote:
Quote:
actually,
i know a couple of people that did not buy this lense for portraits because it is TOO sharp. most portraits need that little bit of softness to them.. with the crop factor an 85mm might be more to your likeing or evan a 50mm which is a digital 75mm.

roy
i like it sharp if needed i can soften it with photoshop.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:33 PM   #10

robar wrote:
Quote:
ennacac wrote:
Quote:

Tom
tom,
i agree 100%.. i've seen many images from both and i can't see a bit of difference. this is a lens on my purchase list but i doubt i'll get the digital version. it's as good or better than the canon 100mm .
you say its a good lens for protraits and then you say another .this is a film and digital lens.