Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:22 PM   #1

It sure looks nice, nicer than the one in the store...no fingerprints except mine:blah::blah::blah:

I am reading the manual...are there any settings I should be aware of, such as one poster said to set it on Natural instead of Bright, something one would never know unless they stumbled on it...

Any other general settings would be helpful...I will start out at ISO 200, seems to work for me...I also noticed that I can set the megapixels at 6, 4 or 1.5...I guess if I just wanted simple snapshots, 1.5 or 4 would give me many more shots on my 512 MB SD card...

Your comments appreciated...
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2006, 3:14 AM   #2

I wouldn't use it below the 6mp. The 512mb card will hold a good 150 images on 6mp.

I don't see the logic in buying a DLSR 6mp camera and then reducing the quality of your shots just to save image space. Bite the bullet and grab a 1gig or another 512mb card and just take lots and lots of shots.

After a week or so of shooting you will realise that you want to take the best shots you can and reducing the mp size in your camera to fit more shots in will be a compromise you won't consider anymore.

Enjoy your new DS, I kow the feeling of opening that new box and pulling out that new camera and reading that new manual and taking shot number 1.:|

I think I might buy a new camera.....:G
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 6:54 AM   #3

Thanks...as simple as that sounds, it really makes sense...heck, what's another $35 for another 512 MB card???...maybe even jump to a Gig and live high on the hog...

A-snapping I will go, a-snapping I will go, hi-ho the derri-o, a-snapping I will go:G:|:|:|:|
Old Mar 30, 2006, 7:23 AM   #4

I have two 1gig cards and only once have I actully come close to filling both cards on a single outing.

Now we have you buying extra SD cards it won't be long before you are hunting out other lenses to put on your new camera...:G
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 7:26 AM   #5

Please note that the average lifespan of an SLR shutter is probably 100000 exposures which means that if you average 100 shots a day for the next 3 years you will wear out the camera.

Seriously, have fun, enjoy your camera and just ask if you have a question, someone here will know the answer. Also check that your camera has the latest firmware upgrade (2.0 I believe), if it doesn't be sure to follow instructions carefully to do it yourself.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 8:07 AM   #6

I've always shot using the highest resolution and the least compressed setting, and now have gotten used to using raw. Once when I was playing around with the first digital camera I ever bought, I took a neat photo but needed to crop it. I had taken it at a lower MP number and didn't have enough pixels. Memory is cheap compared to quality (I also have 2 1GB cards, the second one bought when I had an 8 MP camera that could only get about 50 pictures per card! Love the 6 MP Pentax!).

Natural is much better than bright, I use mostly P, Av, or M (I have mostly manual lenses). If you get/use manual lenses there's another setting in the custom menu you'll need to know about.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 8:34 AM   #7

The most exciting thing about digital, is that you can shoot, shoot and shoot, as long as your energy bill doesn't become too expensive due to too much battery charging:-)

You can make all the mistakes at no cost and the learning curve is quite steep. Can't deny you to see my very first shot with the DS. Didn't have a clue of what I was doing, but for some silly reason I like it anyway:lol:

Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:41 AM   #8

Hi

I actually have 3 1gig cards. While Shooting Jpeg You will get approx 330 Shots per card, but Shoot in RAW and you only get 90 per card.
Shooting at some of the road races that i have attended I have easily Filled 2 cards even Shooting JPEG.
I Dont End up with 600 or 180RAW Keepers. But its easier to just keep Shooting and weed the pictures out later

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 1:02 PM   #9

Thanks for the kind words...

Ira: you should have warned me...and after all we have been thru together...if I knew it could only take 100,000 shots I would have bought a heavy duty camera, something like a Kodak Brownie...:blah::blah:

After new 1 gig cards, the next step will be lenses...Adorama or TriState had a nice chart where you could just list the lenses available by brand for brand...i.e. Tokina lenses for Pentax, Sigma lenses for Pentax, Pentax lenses for Pentax, etc...wide variation in pricing, $100 to well over $500...

I see myself eventually with a nice wide angle (maybe variable), a standard 50mm, and maybe a broader overall lens like 24-125 or thereabouts, which would be broader than my kit 18-55...long zoom over 200/300 maybe be a long way off...
Old Mar 30, 2006, 4:50 PM   #10

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
The most exciting thing about digital, is that you can shoot, shoot and shoot, as long as your energy bill doesn't become too expensive due to too much battery charging:-)

You can make all the mistakes at no cost and the learning curve is quite steep. Can't deny you to see my very first shot with the DS. Didn't have a clue of what I was doing, but for some silly reason I like it anyway:lol:

aint it the truth!! i remember back in the 70s the interminal wait for color processing. did my own B&W tho.

roy