Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 1, 2006, 1:23 PM   #11

You might want to try the F50 1.7 instead of the FA 1.4. I find it to be as sharp as my M 50 1.4 and it goes for much less than the FA 1.4 does.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 1:24 PM   #12
Administrator

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
JimC, long time no read.

I am leaning toward the 35mm f2, the 28mm f2.8 or the Sigma if the price is right here. As much as I would like to own the legendary FA 50mm f1.4 it is hard to justify unless I was concentrating on formal portraits (which it may still be a little wide for at only 75mm). The 35mm f2 would make an excellent "normal" and the Sigma 30mm sounds very impressive, if it is not too expensive.

Ira
I've got my eye out for reports of the Sigma on a KM DSLR (once it shows up on store shelves and KM owners buy them).

I keep a Minolta 28mm f/2 on my KM 5D more often than not when indoors. A 35mm f/2 was actually my first choice, but I couldn't find one at a price I was willing to live with at the time.

So, I went with a 28mm f/2 instead (which is a very sharp little lens). I've found a 50mm to be a bit long in closer quarters indoors shooting existing light at family gatherings, etc. The 28mm works out better (at least for me).

But, from time to time, I could use another stop (even with ISO 3200 and f/2). So, a lens like this Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is tempting. It should be around $400 from discounters (B&H lists this lens for $429 in Canon and Nikon mounts). Sigma announced that they would be making it in Pentax and KM mounts in February. So, it shouldn't be too long before we see vendors with it in stock for these cameras.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 2:11 PM   #13

I think I will be looking in the 28mm to 35mm range, when I shot film the short end of my 70-210mm zoom was always too long, so a 75mm equivalent would pose the same problem. I will look at all of my options in that range. Meanwhile if this focus screen option works out I will just use my present 50mm f1.7 M lens and my old Rikenon 28mm f2.8 can be a very nice normal (a stop slower but still faster than my zooms). This would also open up the option of some of the excellent A-series lenses. I will not buy any MF lenses unless I have a focus aid that works because I cannot trust my eyes alone, and the electronic focus aid is not very reliable (strange since, unlike RiceHigh I have not had any noticeable issues with my AF lenses).

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 3:35 PM   #14

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Derbunk,

How hard was it to change the DL focus screen. I realize that Pentax does not show the DL as having an interchangeable focus screen, but obviously you have changed yours. I believe one of our Australian members said he had his changed by a service technician but are they user interchangeable?

Ira

Ira, I'm sorry; I have a DS, which has a user interchangeable screen. I just checked and found that the DL's screen can only be changed out by a repair technician, and is smaller than the DS's as well. I knew that the viewfinders were different (prism vs. mirror), but thought that the screens were the same. Again, sorry.

Lou
derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 10:01 PM   #15

Oh well, back to the lens hunt again.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 3:08 PM   #16
Administrator

The Pentax 35mm f/2 looks like it's priced about right. B&H is getting $299 for it:

FA 35mm f/2 at B&H

I suspect that the Pentax 31mm f/1.8 AL Limited would be the best choice in this range if money was of no concern and you can find one.

B&H has listings for black and silver but they're out of stock:

Pentax Wide Angle SMCP-FA 31mm f/1.8 AL Limited Autofocus Lens - Black

Pentax Wide Angle SMCP-FA 31mm f/1.8 AL Limited Autofocus Lens - Silver

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:04 PM   #17

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
I am looking into getting a nice AF prime lens and can't make up my mind. The 35mm f2 is only slightly more expensive, comes with a hood and is a "normal" lens on my DL. The 50mm f1.4 is one whole stop faster but is a little long for general photography. Any comments?

I would really like to hear about the 35mm since the 50mm is already considered to be one of the best Pentax lenses ever. BTW the reason for wanting one of these lenses is that I am not very accurate with manually focusing my old M 50mm f1.7 and I want a fast prime. I will consider other brands such as Sigma but only if they are cheaper.

Ira
Neither :-) .. if you want a true "standard" prime on your DL. I would choose the FA 28/2.8 instead as it is equivalent to 43mm angle of view in film format and thus is a very ideal focal as the "standard".

If I were to choose between the two, I must select the 35, anyway. The 50 serves much better as a short tele for portraits, IMHO, if it is used on the *ist Dx.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:33 PM   #18

Two Things Ira.

You should have got my message about the screen replacement. I watched my tech do the change over, it is straight forward and the replacement screen comes with a set of tweezers to help you do it. It doesn't require a tech.

Actually my DL screen that came out is actually bigger than the replacement that went in, that was why it was crooked at first.

Ira, if you look at the pic I sent you the link for you will see it is just sitting there on top and doesn't actually fit in the box that the Pentax replacement came in.

http://members.iinet.com.au/~crashman/images/LL60.jpg

The box clearly denotes Pentax *ist D, which is ALL D models according to my tech.

Since the new screen is in I have had no problems with metering or AF, if anything I think it seems faster, but that could just be because it looks so much sharper with the extra lines on the focusing screen.

Secondly, I have the Sigma 24mm F1.8 EX DG Macro with 77mm filter thread. I have found this to be a fast and sharp lens and not overly priced.

Currently $394.11 US from centre.net.au.
http://www.centre.net.au/index.html?...amp;it=product
That is the full price, you should get it cheaper by 10% as you shouldn't pay Australian Tax. I have bought three lenses from them and several filters without any issues.

Hope this helps.

Crashman

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 8:39 AM   #19

I purchsed the "home made" Chinese screen that derbunk is using, when it arrives I will be checking again to see what would be necessary to mount it in the DL. Don't worry, I have no intention of doing anything until I have full instructions and have checked the screen for proper fit.

derbunk, I got the large split screen, if it works out I will order the Minolta X700 screen later.

Ira
Old Apr 3, 2006, 2:23 PM   #20

Ira, if Crashman had the LL 60 screen installed, then the DL does indeed have the same system as the D and DS and you'll have no problem with the install. The area outside of the split circle on my large one is etched more coarsely than the stock screen and hence is not as bright, but that big circle in the middle is VERY bright. The Minolta screen looks just like the factory one in this regard, but with split-image and microprism added. MF is so much easier with either.

I've gotten delivery within a week each time from this guy, so we'll all look forward to a report soon.

Good luck,
Lou
derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote