Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 3, 2006, 2:56 PM   #21

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
I think I will be looking in the 28mm to 35mm range, when I shot film the short end of my 70-210mm zoom was always too long, so a 75mm equivalent would pose the same problem. I will look at all of my options in that range. Meanwhile if this focus screen option works out I will just use my present 50mm f1.7 M lens and my old Rikenon 28mm f2.8 can be a very nice normal (a stop slower but still faster than my zooms). This would also open up the option of some of the excellent A-series lenses. I will not buy any MF lenses unless I have a focus aid that works because I cannot trust my eyes alone, and the electronic focus aid is not very reliable (strange since, unlike RiceHigh I have not had any noticeable issues with my AF lenses).

Ira

I thinkthe 35/2 is a better standard lens. I have the FA 50/1.7 and love it. However, I do find it to be a little tight for a lot of situations. However, thanks to its new found reach its perfect for portraits.

You may also want to look at the DA 40/2.8. I have read a lot of great reviews on it and you don't loose a whole lot of speed since the 40/2.8 is razor sharp wide open.

pic_*ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 8:16 PM   #22

pic_*ist the 40mm f2.8 DA does look like a valid choice, is it more expensive however?

derbunk when I get the screen I will be checking back to see if it will be a problem to change.

If this screen works as well as I hope then I will be using my Rikenon 28mm f2.8 as my normal lens and my SMC M 50mm f1.7 as my portrait lens. The Minolta based screen sounds like the one to own, I have a minolta 5000 and a 7000 and I have used an X700, they all have very bright screens.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 1:18 AM   #23

I have the 35mm f2 and and an older 50mm f1.7. I can't remember the last time I used the 50mm. But I absolutely love the 35mm and it is my favorite lens. Got mine from B&H for $300 and would definitely recommend it.

I've also tried the 40mm f2.8. Picture quality was great, but it's a very small lens and didn't feel right in my hands.
jesterDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 7:56 AM   #24

Ira & Crashman,
This is great news for all DL users. Maybe it should be a new topic so poor DL users know how it can be converted assuming it works with both MF & AF. Touch wood.
Daniel

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
I purchsed the "home made" Chinese screen that derbunk is using, when it arrives I will be checking again to see what would be necessary to mount it in the DL. Don't worry, I have no intention of doing anything until I have full instructions and have checked the screen for proper fit.

derbunk, I got the large split screen, if it works out I will order the Minolta X700 screen later.

Ira
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 2:19 PM   #25

Gee I have disposed of all my M & A lens. If the screen works for my aging eyesight, I have to get back those lens. Now I can only handle F or FA lens.

Daniel

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
pic_*ist the 40mm f2.8 DA does look like a valid choice, is it more expensive however?

derbunk when I get the screen I will be checking back to see if it will be a problem to change.

If this screen works as well as I hope then I will be using my Rikenon 28mm f2.8 as my normal lens and my SMC M 50mm f1.7 as my portrait lens. The Minolta based screen sounds like the one to own, I have a minolta 5000 and a 7000 and I have used an X700, they all have very bright screens.

Ira
Old May 2, 2006, 8:02 PM   #26

Confirmed, the screen does work in the DL, but, get the Minolta based screen, the one I have with the large split image is a little distracting. The change is very easy, the DL screens interchange just like the DS range. The only difficulty is that they take a little tweaking to get them straight.

I am not using my new screen yet (except to try it out) instead I will give it a thorough test later this summer. If it works well I will try to get a Minolta based screen as well. BTW he sent me an additional screen with no markings at all as an unexpected bonus.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 8:27 PM   #27

Wow

The DL screen certainly looks easy to replace.
I read what the Chinese guy wrote on ebay and he is really into this diy project rather than the money itself.
He must have savaged quite a few screens from older slr and ground them to DL or other dslr size.
Alignment is expected to be a major issue. Also effect on autofocus too. Not straightforward definitely.

Daniel

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Confirmed, the screen does work in the DL, but, get the Minolta based screen, the one I have with the large split image is a little distracting. The change is very easy, the DL screens interchange just like the DS range. The only difficulty is that they take a little tweaking to get them straight.

I am not using my new screen yet (except to try it out) instead I will give it a thorough test later this summer. If it works well I will try to get a Minolta based screen as well. BTW he sent me an additional screen with no markings at all as an unexpected bonus.

Ira