Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 31, 2006, 9:05 PM   #1

I am looking into getting a nice AF prime lens and can't make up my mind. The 35mm f2 is only slightly more expensive, comes with a hood and is a "normal" lens on my DL. The 50mm f1.4 is one whole stop faster but is a little long for general photography. Any comments?

I would really like to hear about the 35mm since the 50mm is already considered to be one of the best Pentax lenses ever. BTW the reason for wanting one of these lenses is that I am not very accurate with manually focusing my old M 50mm f1.7 and I want a fast prime. I will consider other brands such as Sigma but only if they are cheaper.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:41 PM   #2

HI Ira

Depends on what You want to use it For. I personally own the FA 50mm 1.4.
After Having used it at a wedding I would opt for the 35MM.
Let me start at the beginning. I Purchased the lense , based on My having the ME with a 50mm.
I never knew at that time about the Crop factor!! But i Found out at the wedding. Dont Get me wrong, having the extra Stops over the kit lense was a blessing.
I also tryed to use it at my sons Basketball Game. It just Did not work, It just Zoomed everything in too close. Again great to have the extra Stops.
In both cases I reverted To a combo of the kit lense and the 50MM to get the Focal Length I needed.
So If it fits your use great, But In My case it is not working out for what i had intended it For.
So My Vote would Be For the 35MM. It will Be my next purchase.

Hope this helps

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 4:34 AM   #3

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
I am looking into getting a nice AF prime lens and can't make up my mind. The 35mm f2 is only slightly more expensive, comes with a hood and is a "normal" lens on my DL. The 50mm f1.4 is one whole stop faster but is a little long for general photography. Any comments?

I would really like to hear about the 35mm since the 50mm is already considered to be one of the best Pentax lenses ever. BTW the reason for wanting one of these lenses is that I am not very accurate with manually focusing my old M 50mm f1.7 and I want a fast prime. I will consider other brands such as Sigma but only if they are cheaper.

Ira
Ira,
FA50mm 1.4 is a legend by itself.

http://www.robertstech.com/equip.htm...t.php?id=51444
I have FA28mm2.8 instead to cover wider view which is also considered by robertstech as the best kept secret of Pentax.
I have got rid of all my manual lens. But I could not resist the temptation by getting another M 135 2.5. I should have that in another couple of days. I am hopeless. Looks like it is not to be a keeper because I have real problem focusing.

Daniel

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/a...t.php?id=51444
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 8:42 AM   #4

So I'm not the only one who's finding it harder to get the focus right on when using manual lenses? I've also been thinking about getting something that would be equivalent to my old 50 mm 1.7 lens (which Istill like and it takesnice photos)- it does seem to be lots of extra work. I've already got the Pentax 50-200 lens coming to replace the manual Kiron lens.

Talk about bad timing all the way around - I ordered it originally from buydig on Thursday a week ago, didn't get a tracking number by Saturday, so checked their website and it wasn't listed any more! Monday I sent a message to them asking if by any chance my order had been filled before they ran out of stock, and Tuesday they said it was backordered. I immediately sent them a message to cancel the order, which they did, and ordered it from B&H, with shipping to be 2nd day, delivery to be to work so it could be signed for. On Wednesday, after it had been shipped, it occurred to me that Friday was an administrative holiday, and so I'm still waiting for my lens! Urrr! Thank you for letting me get that off my chest - I'm SO impatient!

I've been eyeing the 2 limited lenses, but can't decide which one I would prefer. I can't afford them right now anyway. I don't mind the field of view from the 50mm lens - I used to use the F 70-200 lens (when it worked) as my walk-around lens mostly in my ME days.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 8:58 AM   #5

Ira, you might want to check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Split-Image-Focu...QQcmdZViewItem

I own two of his screens, this one and the one made from a Minolta screen, and both work great. I use the latter for general stuff and the larger one for macro and low light conditions. The DL's screen changes out in the same manner as the DS's, and after you've done it once it takes only half a minute. For around $25US shipped, they're a real bargain.

One note: he usually has several of these on hand, so if you lose the auction just wait several days and you'll probably receive a second chance offer from him to buy at your bid price. That's how I got both of mine.

Hope this helps,
Lou
derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 10:16 AM   #6

derbunk

Any issues with quality, screen brightness, exposure accuracy or AF performance (I will still be primarily using my AF zooms)with this screen installed. I am very interested but since I do not want to be constantly switching screens I would like to get your opinion on this screen as a "permanent" install.

I have a great deal of admiration for the quality of the Pentax M and A series lenses, and I do like the added responsiveness of the camera when in MF mode. I wanted the FA lenses because they would make up for my poor focusing ability, however I never had a problem with my old ME Super or KX or K1000 becuase of the split screen. if I could get that level of functionality from the DL I would be very happy.

I have looked at the Katz eye screens website but before I invest that much cash I would like to try it out and this seller seems to give me the opportunity to test it at a reasonable price.

Ira

BTW any more information you feel I should know just pm me.

Old Apr 1, 2006, 11:39 AM   #7
Administrator

A third party lens to keep an eye on is the new Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC AF lens. Sigma recently announced thatthey would be making this lens in KM and Pentax mounts, too. It's made for digital cameras only (so, it's smaller and lighter than a similar prime would be for 35mm models).

B&H is getting $429 for them in other mounts now (so it should be the same for KM and Pentax, once it starts shipping in these mounts).

Here are two tests comparing this Sigma to Canon primes by fstopjojo

http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/30v35s

http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/30v35

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 11:47 AM   #8

The re-fitted Minolta screen is my permanent screen. It has a split focus center with a microprism collar, a very bright image in the finder, perfect exposures in all modes, and fast AF even with the central spot selected (which is all that I ever use). The only criticism would be that the center is not perfectly dead center with the red focus point and the split line not absolutely parallel with the bottom of the frame (but very close on both counts). Strangely, I seem to not get the .5 degree tilt that I naturally get with the pentax screen. I do prefer the Minolta type over the larger spilt screen one, but at these prices, owning both was not a problem.

Lou
derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 1:09 PM   #9

Derbunk,

How hard was it to change the DL focus screen. I realize that Pentax does not show the DL as having an interchangeable focus screen, but obviously you have changed yours. I believe one of our Australian members said he had his changed by a service technician but are they user interchangeable?

Ira

Old Apr 1, 2006, 1:14 PM   #10

JimC, long time no read.

I am leaning toward the 35mm f2, the 28mm f2.8 or the Sigma if the price is right here. As much as I would like to own the legendary FA 50mm f1.4 it is hard to justify unless I was concentrating on formal portraits (which it may still be a little wide for at only 75mm). The 35mm f2 would make an excellent "normal" and the Sigma 30mm sounds very impressive, if it is not too expensive.

Ira