Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 1, 2006, 7:54 PM   #1

When I remove and change my NiMH batts, do I have to reset the time and date each time???...my older Minolta 500si had a small flat lithium batt whose sole function was to maintain the internal electronics like time and date...I am not aware of any flat batt in my DS...is there possibly a time lag of 1-2 minutes where th camera maintains settings until new batts are in place???...what's the story???

Also, now that I have found the eastern time zone (US), does the cameras computer know the diff between DST and standadrd time???...there was a box to check, but I do not know if that was a manula setting, or if it told the computer to change the time 2X yearly, depending on its programming...

Oh, and I oughts to start taking some pictures...:?:?:?
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2006, 10:42 PM   #2

You don't have to reset when you change batteries. There is no flat battery; I believe that Pentax uses a capacitor to power the memory for several days.

Lou
derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 11:14 PM   #3

Dont worry about all that fancy stuff get out and take some pictures I havent even looked at the book,really took the camera out of the box and started shooting dont even have to focus what a drrrream ....Know really ask lots of Quetions i learn somthing every day on this forum I can read faster than i can type with one finger.... I knew i should have taken typing now..In school they stuck me in a typing class because theycouldnt find anywhere else to put me .I got the hell out of there when i saw the typwriters with no letters on the keys DDDDaaarrrrrnnn.. Cheers o yes my camera has german on it some day i will look into it try and change it to english Cheers
schnauzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 4:32 AM   #4

marsha7 wrote:
Quote:
When I remove and change my NiMH batts, do I have to reset the time and date each time???...my older Minolta 500si had a small flat lithium batt whose sole function was to maintain the internal electronics like time and date...I am not aware of any flat batt in my DS...is there possibly a time lag of 1-2 minutes where th camera maintains settings until new batts are in place???...what's the story???

Also, now that I have found the eastern time zone (US), does the cameras computer know the diff between DST and standadrd time???...there was a box to check, but I do not know if that was a manula setting, or if it told the computer to change the time 2X yearly, depending on its programming...

DS, DL uses a capacitor to store the settings which can be kept for 24 hours according to some sources I have seen, whilst the *ist D has a lithium battery CR2016 to store those data of which the battery is stored at the camera's back.

If your DS cannot keep date/time data, it simply means a malfunction.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 4:42 AM   #5

marsha7 wrote:
Quote:

DS, DL uses a capacitor to store the settings which can be kept for 24 hours according to some sources I have seen, whilst the *ist D has a lithium battery CR2016 to store those data of which the battery is stored at the camera's back.

If your DS cannot keep date/time data, it simply means a malfunction.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 8:49 AM   #6

marsha7 wrote:
Quote:
Also, now that I have found the eastern time zone (US), does the cameras computer know the diff between DST and standadrd time???...there was a box to check, but I do not know if that was a manual setting, or if it told the computer to change the time 2X yearly, depending on its programming...
I fiddled with my DS last night and this morning, and I don't think it knows to change the time automatically. I clicked the DST box, and it changed the time by one hour, but I think we have to manually select and deselect it in spring and fall.

(P.S. I've never had my camera lose its settings while I'm changing batteries...)

Dan
dan-mx-ds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 9:57 AM   #7

I don't believe the DS does daylight saving time either, but then I don't ever use if for a clock, so I don't care if it is an hour off unil next fall when it will then be correct again.

You can take as much time as you want up to 24 hours to change the batteries and not loose the time on your DS because it uses a capacitor to hold the info like ricehigh mentioned.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote