Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 2, 2006, 10:48 AM   #1

Hello:

Did anyone have success getting the camera to operate on AA Alkaline cells (per the users manual)? Mine only showed the blinking empty battery indicator, and I thought the camera was defective. Before giving up, I bought NiMH cells andthe cameraseems to be working with them.

Also, can you describe the 'play' in the front end of the 18-55mm lens? Mine seems extremely loose, much more so than in the 50-200mm lens.

Thanks for your assistance.

Corey
CMotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:07 AM   #2

My DL cam with 4 Alkaline batteries that I assumed where dead or depleted to a point they would power the camera. I've been using Ni-MH batteries so I placed 4 of these in the camera and haven't tried the Alkalizes since. You may have an issue here I wasn't aware of. As for the lens mine has a little play but I have read on this form and others that this is part of its design, not sure though. One thing is for sure my DL is above my expectations and I hope yours istoo.
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:47 AM   #3

CMotel wrote:
Quote:
Hello:

Did anyone have success getting the camera to operate on AA Alkaline cells (per the users manual)? Mine only showed the blinking empty battery indicator, and I thought the camera was defective. Before giving up, I bought NiMH cells andthe cameraseems to be working with them.

Also, can you describe the 'play' in the front end of the 18-55mm lens? Mine seems extremely loose, much more so than in the 50-200mm lens.

Thanks for your assistance.

Corey
Use AA NiHi rechargeable batteries - anything above 2000 mA/hr should be fine but 2300 mA/hr and above will provide better results. I use 2300mm/hr which if used on consecutive days can enable something in the order of over 500 RAW images to be taken (no flash). If the camera is left for a number of days in-between shoots, then the number of images taken will reduce as the battery life is affected by storage when partially discharged.

I've recently purchased a Pentax 50-200mm DA which I'm very pleased with & used exclusively (new toy) for a number of days before reverting back to the 18-55mm DA kit lens. I always carry the *istDS around my neck and was becoming bothered by the rattle from the lens - so much so that I thought that it must be faulty.

I examined my Sigma 28-135 Macro Zoom which I noticed was far worse. Contacting Pentax Technical Support confirmed that the front section of the lens is 'loose' to facilitate focusing. Furthermore, an earlier thread on this topic also confirmed this from other users so Pentax weren't trying to 'pull the wool over my eyes'.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 2:40 PM   #4

hi,

are you talking about the batteries that came with the camera? mine lasted a very short time and looking in the manual it seems they include them just so you can initially power up the camera and look at a few settings etc. i always carry some good quality alkalines for if i forget to charge the NiMH's but i haven't yet had to use them on my DL.

it seems to me the DL needs and uses a lot more battery than my Fuji s602. i've had to get new rechargables (2700 mAh's) and a better charger to replace some 2 year old 2300's that worked fine in the 602.

love the camera but a vertical battery grip would be awful nice (!) 8^)
ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 3:32 PM   #5

ejbrusselsprout wrote:
Quote:
are you talking about the batteries that came with the camera? mine lasted a very short time and looking in the manual it seems they include them just so you can initially power up the camera and look at a few settings etc. i always carry some good quality alkalines for if i forget to charge the NiMH's but i haven't yet had to use them on my DL.

3Vlithium CR-V3batteries supplied with the camera should last much longer NiHi.

Quote:
it seems to me the DL needs and uses a lot more battery than my Fuji s602. i've had to get new rechargables (2700 mAh's) and a better charger to replace some 2 year old 2300's that worked fine in the 602.
I personally found NiHi batteries in myFuji S602 never stayed charged from 1 week to the next. The *istDS (I can only assume that the DL is much the same)can produce in excess of 500 images with 2300 mA/hr batteries- something that my S602 could never manage.

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 3:51 PM   #6

"EJbrusselsprout"

I have to agree with "catbells". The 3V Lithium batterys that came with My DS lasted about 1500 Shots.
On Top Of Two sets Of NIMH Batterys. I carry a Spare Set of the CRV3 Lithium batterys as a Safeguard. These have approx a 10 Year Shelf life and are much lighter than AA Alaklines

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 8:16 PM   #7

The manual for the DS highly recommended using NiMH batteries and to use alkaline batteries for emergency use only and "may not support all the camera functions under certain conditions." I've been afraid to find out what this means - I've been using NiMH without any problems. Our local Costco had a Sanyo charger and batteries for sale one day, so I bought that and another set of batteries. I haven't been anywhere interesting since I bought the camera, so don't know how my set-up will do with heavy use.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 8:24 PM   #8

Mtngal

You should be Fine with 2 sets of NIMH batterys. I have never gotten less than 300 pictures on one charge. With 2 sets you are golden. I just make sure to charge the batterys after each days use.
I have Never had a Battery issue. Having said that I do carry a spare set of CR-V3 batterys, just incase.

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 9:41 AM   #9

hi all,

i'm pretty sure now i had a battery/ charger problem as my new batteries charged in the new (maha) charger are lasting much longer even on the 1st charge, and it takes several charges to get NiMH's up to speed. i've charged up the old 2300's in the new charger as well to see if that makes a difference but haven't needed them yet.

i'll be looking for some CR-V3's for back up batteries next time i'm in town (Thunder Bay, ON) but i don't remember seeing them at the big box stores and most stuff at the camera shops are priced out of sight. maybe the net or e-bay?

my dl came with cheap alkalines, not the CR-V3's. maybe another small difference between the dl and the ds/ds2??

always enjoy this forum, best to all, eric

ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 9:43 AM   #10

I use two sets of 2500mAh NiMH batteries, I have a third set in the package not yet charged. Sometimes I get more pictures than others but I always get at least 200 shots on them (unless they have been left for some time, remember they will lose their charge when lying around unused).

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote