Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:32 PM   #1

I finally got the lens today, and wouldn't you know, it was raining off and on. It finally quit raining enough to try it out. This is just a flower right outside my office, but I was really pleased. So here's my first and second shots with the lens.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:38 PM   #2

I didn't think I would mind that I'm losing the macro capability of the Kiron, but I do - I love taking pictures of flowers. So it makes sense for my next lens to be a prime macro. Should I go with something like 100 mm or a wide angle macro? I'd be using it mainly for flowers and such (no portraits)so I'd want something as sharp as possible but I'm not sure about anything else - I don't know much about macro lenses at all.
Attached Images

Old Apr 4, 2006, 5:47 AM   #3

go long for the working distance. sigma 105mm, tokina or tamron 90mm. pentax 100mm. all GREAT macros.

roy
Old Apr 4, 2006, 9:11 AM   #4

Sorry that I may sound offensive for your first try with the lens. They are either soft or off focus. I would speculate that you were too close for the (non-macro) lens to focus . Or it was the problem when you compressed it for uploading to this site. I am sure that it is a great lens as others have said. They all should get better when weather warms up.

Daniel

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I finally got the lens today, and wouldn't you know, it was raining off and on. It finally quit raining enough to try it out. This is just a flower right outside my office, but I was really pleased. So here's my first and second shots with the lens.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 2:11 PM   #5

I would guess that it's a bit ofeverything - they looked sharper when viewed full sized (and yes, I did compress them quite a bit). The first one does have the focusslightly off (hoping that no one would notice, the edge of one of the petals is in focus, the rest is soft). The other thing is that I have terrible luck trying to take pictures of these white flowers - these are better than mypast attempts (which look like white blobs usually). I would have preferred other flowers, but it was starting to rain and it's STILL raining! Maybe this weekend...

Going longer was my firstthought for a macro lens, but since I'm so clueless when it comes to these things, I thought I would ask before I ventured money on something. Whatever I buy is going to have to wait for a month or 2 anyway.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 5:00 PM   #6

Actually I think they look great. Good work.
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 1:15 PM   #7

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Going longer was my firstthought for a macro lens, but since I'm so clueless when it comes to these things, I thought I would ask before I ventured money on something. Whatever I buy is going to have to wait for a month or 2 anyway.
'Going longer' means less depth of field.

Check out the difference with close ups between your 18-55mm & 50-200mm lens; the latter @ 300mm (35mm equiv) whilst taking great close up, has a much smaller DOF than the equivalent shot taken at 50mm with the 18-55mm.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 2:09 PM   #8

Catbells has a good point there that I had not considered, DOF. Like others I was just thinking of the advantage of greater distance from the subject. The one equalizing factor however is that the closer you focus the shallower DOF will be.Given the same magnification of the image, would the greater distance to the subject afforded by the 100mm lens make up for the shallower DOF? I would like to see some examples of this.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 2:42 PM   #9

I know that there were times when I was taking pictures with the Kiron at max zoom (200mm) and f22 and still didn't quite have as much DOF as I wanted. That's why I was thinking that getting something wider angle that could focus about 6" away might actually be better. I had gotten used to getting up close to flowers when I was using the Sony F717 (about 1" focus distance at widest angle only) and thought that with flowers it might be better to go wider than one of the lenses around 100mm. On the other hand, the Kiron focuses about 1-2 feet from the subject, and I used it mostly somewhere around 100-120mm. The main thing I want is something lighter and sharper than that Kiron (which isOK sharp as a macro lens, softer further out), and preferably AF, though that's negotiable.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:30 PM   #10

None the less the Pentax 50-200mm lens is a very capable lens. Here is a sample at a distance.

MT

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote