Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 5, 2006, 7:59 PM   #1

Hi there... I bought a new *ist DS off of ebay and it arrived today. My wife is ecstatic, and it looks like it will suit our purposes well. However, I bought it with the perception that the lenses I used on my old Pentax 35mm would work with it. When I try to snap on the Albinar lens, it doesn't fit. Is there an adapter I need? It fit perfectly on the old Pentax... so I guess this noob is a little confused. Any help would be appreciated. I'll be bummed if I can't use that zoom lens. Thanks!

If it's any help, the lens says "P/K-A R-P/K"
Correction: It's an Albinar 80~200mm, not 300mm, if that makes a difference.

RobertR69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2006, 9:05 PM   #2

Here's my guess...

Judging from the R-P/K designator, this lens fits Pentax and Ricoh program cameras. If so, on the mounting flange of the lens there are spaces for the Pentax electrical contacts as well as one thinner diameter Ricoh electrical contact. If you were able to twist the lens on part way but then it stopped, I assume the body was set to Auto Focus and the protruding AF drive pin on the camera body hit the Ricoh pin preventing any further lens rotation. If the body was set for MF, the Ricoh pin would likely have sprung into the hole of the (now) recessed AF drive, causing the lens to semi-permanently lock onto the camera body.

I've read about all of this, having many Ricoh and third-party lenses, like yours, but haven't yet performed the work (so don't treat this as gospel). The Ricoh pin needs to be removed. There are four silver screws on the silver lens flange. Removing them allows the flange to be removed providing access to the pin. The pin can then be removed and the flange replaced. Looking at the AF drive pin on the body protrude and recede as the AF/MF switch is toggled, I would suggest only mounting the modified lens with the switch in MF, so the AF drive pin doesn't fall into the hole in the lensfrom whichthe Ricoh pin was removed.

There has also been discussion of the flange tabs on some lenes being too large and requiring filing. I think this was specifically with some Rikenon lenses though.

I don't have URLs handy, but if you search, you'll find related discussions on the USENET and some camera site boards.

Good luck.

Corey
CMotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:15 AM   #3

Thanks for the info, Corey... it turns out that the flange tab was the problem. On the kit lens, that tab is maybe half an inch long, while on my Albinar lens, it was close to an inch and a half. I filed off the extra inch (it took about an hour because I was being especially careful. Used a lot of canned air as well), and now it clicks on just fine. I have to use manual focus, of course, but that's no big deal.
RobertR69 is offline   Reply With Quote