Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 10, 2006, 10:15 PM   #11

pic_*ist wrote:
Quote:
RichHigh,

I have read it... its not like you haven't posted it all over here and dpreview... I still don't agree with your findings as a general consensusthey are notrepresentative of my experience with my Pentax equipment nora lot of users. Before you think I am Pentax specific I also shoot Canon DSLRs...

now please let this thread get back on topic
Okay, then, let's hope Pentax can earn more money (of us!) from now on for their R&D and subsequently are able to produce better products and provide better customer services and support then, when they are having more "spare" money which means more resources.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 3:16 PM   #12

Pentax's profits aren't coming from their camera division but rather their medical division. The company is profiting in this area due to the demand for their endoscopes and endoscopic systems in the medical marketplace.

Why does everyone think that a huge company, with so many divisions, would take profits from a profitable product line and put it towards, say digital cameras? If anything, this will push them to focus resources and funds on the medical division.

I, like everyone else, want to see Pentax being profitable and pushing forward in their digital camera product line. While reading this news, however, we should keep in mind that each division within Pentax is functionally, and financially, more like different companiessharing the same parent name.
PhotoMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 3:45 PM   #13

Unfortunately in the UKPentax are being forced to withdraw some camera's due to a EU law banning the use of lead solder. In the statement Pentax put out if says they are going to re-evaluate the range of cameras in europe but will be releasing a new digital SLR in due course.

Details here: http://www.ephotozine.com/news/fullnews.cfm?NewsID=2834

Mordarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 4:43 PM   #14

We wouldn't want some EU child taking apart a camera and chewing on the lead solder inside would we?

Another example of environmentalists going out of control and taking good intentions and making them into ridiculous mandates that hurt business for no real reason.

Sorry for the OT, but things like this really irritate me!

Is Pentax the only camera manufacturer that uses lead solder?

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 1:50 AM   #15

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
We wouldn't want some EU child taking apart a camera and chewing on the lead solder inside would we?
The same EU law is causing problems for the pipes of church organs as they use......lead!

But it's still nice to hear that Pentax are still going to be active in the camera market.
Mordarth is offline   Reply With Quote