Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 8, 2006, 8:08 PM   #1

*ist Settings

I have been shooting my DL in program mode with slight sharpening but I also see advantages using normal sharpening for a somewhat softer look. I'm just not sure what looks the best, both have there advantages. I believe portraits look better with the normal setting (softer) and most other shots look better with the slight sharpening. How have others been shooting their *ist cameras? Do many of you use the auto feature as your normal shooting setting?

I will say this, with my Fuji 602 I was always doing post processing with Paint Shop Pro but with the output of my DL I hardly ever make any corrections. I'm loving this camera.:-)
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2006, 8:25 PM   #2

I usually shoot in AV mode. Ocasionally I use Program and Manuel. Just depends on the situation. I have used Auto before, but thats not why i got a dslr. And i love to Play with my PENTAX M lenses.
I leave the camera in the default mode and do all my adjustments in My image software. For this I use Mostly Photoshop Elements 4 and Rarely PSP 9.

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 9:13 PM   #3

M and Av and raw only. i do shoot jpg if i'm nott caring too much about outcome. dog meets, picnics, things where i'm not going to do anything with the pix except make a slide show.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 10:15 PM   #4

So far I used mainly P, TV, & M. P when I don't really want to think and in situation I need quick response. TV when I am using the longer range of the tele-zoom and for close up pictures when I need to boost up the shutter speed to reduce camera shake. M when I am using the DL2 with my old Vivitar 285 flash. Works out good.

I set my camera to normal rather than vivid, just starting to increase the in-camera sharpness setting today to paly around.

-BE
bright eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 12:52 AM   #5

How I use my *ist? See my article below - Getting most out of your *ist D/DS/DL for the tips and tricks I found:-

http://www.epinions.com/content_221813968516

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 10:50 AM   #6

I would rather use the USM in Photo Shop Elements to sharpen my images than the turn up the in camera sharpening. I find that there is more control and the images end up looking better, the in-camera sharpening is a little harsh leaving some minor halo effect.

I have set my meter on centre weighted since it is what I was familiar with on my older cameras. Sometimes the result I got with the multi zone metering were not what I had expected, but the centre weighted with the AE-L give me more consistent results.

I use only the centre spot for focusing since that is what I was familiar with as well. Early Minolta Maxxums such as the 5000, 7000 and 9000 that I owned all had just one sensor at the centre, so I have turned off the other two sensors in my DL (a reason why the 11 points of the DS did not interest me) and recompose to shoot.

Unless there is a need to change I usually shoot in P mode and use the exposure compensation to fine tune. I do have some older K-mount lenses with no A setting on the aperture ring, these must be used in M mode and usually require a little extra exposure (the stop down metering seems to underexpose with most of my old lenses so I simply press AE-L to set the camera's choice and then lengthen the shutter speed or open the apertureby0.3 to 2.0 stops depending on the scene).

In post processing I often take the flatter looking pictures and run a USM with numbers like amount 20, radius 50 and threshold 1 to punch up the contrast (normal sharpening settings are more like 200, 0.3 and 1). A couple of my lenses, like the 500mm mirror Samyang, are very low contrast and this technique really works well. I recommend Adobe Photo Shop Elements for image processing because most of the Photo Shop tutorials on-line will also apply to PSE (makes learning much easier), and it is reasonably priced.

That pretty much covers my experiences. I wish the *istDL had program shift like my old Maxxum 7000 did, but the Av setting will give a similar effect.

Irs
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 11:08 AM   #7

I agree with Ira here:

I would rather use the USM in Photo Shop Elements to sharpen my images than the turn up the in camera sharpening. I find that there is more control and the images end up looking better, the in-camera sharpening is a little harsh leaving some minor halo effect.

I have set my meter on centre weighted since it is what I was familiar with on my older cameras. Sometimes the result I got with the multi zone metering were not what I had expected, but the centre weighted with the AE-L give me more consistent results.

I use spot metering in certain photos, but usually use center weighted metering, as like Ira, I find matrix metering to be too erratic to use reliably.

I have in camera sharpening set to the lowest level and do all sharpening in CS and rarely do any color work on my images. I shoot almost exclusively in jpg and have no problems with sharpness as you can see from many of my posts, although I do shoot in RAW if the light is strange.

I use TV, AV and M, but to be honest I use automatic most of the time on F or FA lenses, but change the settings the DS chooses if I disagree with them, which is rarely. Obviously I don't use automatic with M lenses and I do use TV and AV if I have a need for only one shutter speed or aperture for a particular image.

My DS focuses perfectly most of the time (I have all sensors turned on) and produces fantastic color, with extremely sharp images. They are far sharper and have amazing color that I would not have believed could come from a 6MP sensor.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 10:20 PM   #8

Many different ways...

Usually Natural Mode, contrast 0, saturation, sharpness + 1 (though based on comments here and elsewhere, I think I'll experiment with sharpness 0), JPG ***. I often find my photos respond well to PS sharpening of 0.3 radius and 300% or so.

With kit lens (my only autofocus, auto-aperture lens): usually P, +07 compensation, and matrix meter.

With my M-series manual focus non-A lenses, usually M, meter with AE-L button, and then open up a half stop. If shooting sports or dancing in low light, I'll set Av, resulting in max aperture, and take whatever shutter speed I can get!

Just starting to experiment with RAW.

Dan
dan-mx-ds2 is offline   Reply With Quote