Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 8, 2006, 7:57 PM   #1

Some of you might have read my other thread earlier that I received my DL2 kit about 10 days ago. Took it to awork convention and shot 400+ pictures. There are 2 issues that concern me.

First, it appeared that the battery indicator is not very accurate. I put in a set of 2100mAh Energizer battery that I charged 1 week before the event. At first the indicator showed full charge, aftera couple ofshots it showed "half charge" which is fine because they had been in storage for a week,I think, but few more shots later the indicator brinking blank. Switch the camera off and on again brought the indicator back to half charge. Took them out and replaced with a set of freshly charged Duracell Accu 1800mAh (BTW, I use Energizer Quick Charger and I tickle charge them over night) and the indicator showed half charge right away but I managed totake couple hundred of shots. During that time, the indicator blinking blank a few times and allI had to do was to switch the camera off and on and it would show half charge again. Taking the battery out, wait for a minute and re-insert them did not solved the problem. Anyway, next day, same set of battery, the camera finally said the battery were depleted and shut off itself and I turn it back on and sure enough it showed half charge again and Itook another 70 or 80 shots before it really dead. Now, I used those two set of battery in my other camera before and they were fine. At the present time I have a set of Panasonic battery in it and I am keeping a close eye on it.

Second, the exposure of the build-in flash is not very stable, 90% of the time is good, the other 10% could be way off the chart. In the convention, 99% of the shots were indoor and mostly I used the build-in flash, as most of the pictures I took were of close range type. I took a whole bunch of pictures of various display booths in this well illuminated large hall. As I was going around and took pictures of the booths, there would be in occasion, for no appearent reason to me, the picture of a particular booth would be way under exposed or over exposed. Thank goodness for the instant feedback if the LCD display! Retook the pictures turned up the same incorrectly exposed. Changing the flash compensation and the EV compensation didn't seem to help. Changing the ISO setting did the trick though. Worth mentioning, most of the pictures I used program AE withfixed ISO setting, center-weighted metering spot autofocus. General lighting of the room were quite uniform and there were no huge colour difference between the display booths. I am scratching my head. Come to think of it I had read other posts here before that some other people had similar problem. On the other hand the pictures that took with my vintage Vivitar 285 were consistantly well exposed. I would have pose some of those pictures but they involved people and there is that privacy issue, but I managed to reproduced some of the problem here by shooting my cat, so, see for yourself.

Third, I thought the RAW format of the DL and DL2 are the same but I guess NOT. Now I cannot open them with Camera Raw 3.3 plug-in of PS, bugger! Any idea how to get them in PS so I can experiment with RAW?

Outdoor pictures were very good and overall I like my DL2.

-BE

Attached Images

bright eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2006, 8:29 PM   #2

Hi Bright Eyes - I got a DL about a month ago and when I first recieved it, I put the alkaline batteries that came with it in to play around with all the settings. It was not long and I had only taken a few shots when the low battery indicator started showing. I had some 1800 AH rechargables that I had been using, but it was below freezing out the Saturday morning I wanted to try the camera out and the batteries would not even turn the camera on, not even light the LCD screen on top. I had picked up a set of 8 Lithiums (about $16.00) at Walmart just in case, so I put them in and have never looked back. I have about 400 or so shots now and a lot of playing around with the LCD screenin the settings and reviewing pictures.

I know a lot of fellows like the rechargables, but I can say the Lithiums seem to work great and I don't have to worry about a cold morning or how long they have set in the camera. To each his own I guess. I have read, I think on the Dpreview forum, that people havetaken 1000+ pictures from them. I haven't had them that long, but will keep an eye on this and paying about $8.00 a set is reasonable for that many pictures. Figure out how much that would have been in film.

I just spent some time today learning to use Raw Shooter Essentials and I must say it is much better as far as what you can do with it then the Pentax Photo Lab software. I would recommend anyone that tries it to read the 71 page manual that comes with it first. After that, it was easy tolearn to use. I particularly like the white balancedropper tooland the appearance menu. I have also found that my old Pentax 50mm F2 Super Takumar takes a lot sharper pictures, at least closeups of flowers then the18-55mm kit lens- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 9:14 PM   #3

The battery indicator seems to work irractically on my DS depending on the type of battery I have in it... it works perfect with energizer lithiums and 2500mAH's.* However, I had another set of 1800's that it worked odd with.* All-in-all doesn't bother me much my 2500's get me about 500 or so shots and the Li are about 700-800.* I carry an extra set of Li AA in my camera bag just in case but my DS seems to go forever.
pic_*ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 12:02 AM   #4

bright eyes wrote:
Quote:
Some of you might have read my other thread earlier that I received my DL2 kit about 10 days ago. Took it to a work convention and shot 400+ pictures. There are 2 issues that concern me.
Well, actually you have listed three issues, which are all "normal" IMHO, because those are design faults, frankly speaking.

1. For the battery problem, see my review below:-
http://www.epinions.com/content_221813968516

2. For the flash exposure inaccuracy problem, it is owing to the P-TTL algorithm which *usually* exposes for *highlights*, for more details, see my article below:-

http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh/P-TTL_Vs_TTL.html

It should be noted that the *ist DL *cannot* support traditional TTL auto flash mode owing to the deletion of the TTL flash sensor in the mirror house. If you had a DS, then you could know that the older Pentax TTL flash mode will expose for the mid-tone/mid-grey, which is more desirable.

3. For the RAW format change, you're again correct here. THe DL has a new RAW format which is not compatible with previous one. In fact, even Pentax's original Photo Laboratory Version 2.1 for the *ist DS cannot read those RAW files by the DL! But the Pentax Photo Lab 2.1 for the DL can read!(?? - they are both called the same afterall - a serious software version numbering fault by Pentax here!).

Actually, Pentax's RAW format for the *ist D, DS and DL are in three different format. So, don't expect 3rd party software compatibility as even Pentax's own Photo Laboratory will have problems!

Hope this helps and Good luck to you, anyway.

RiceHIgh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh

http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 12:06 AM   #5

Bright eyes

I have heard this Complaint before. I Myself have never Had an issue with My DS.
The CR-V3's last about 1000-1200 pictures and i have several sets of 2500Mahs, that last between 500-700 shots.
You Might want to experiment and get yourself a Set of 2500's and a New Charger. see if that Does the job. It seems that the Charger can make or Break the way the batterys last in the camera.
On the Raw situation. i have to agree with "bper" Give Raw Shooter Essentials a try.
Great program- I love the work flow So much better than ACR3.3. I actually upgraded to the premium Version. I am just not sure if they support the DL2 yet.

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 1:33 AM   #6

Thank-you all for your responses, actually I think the batteries I used were okay, just the indicators is tempermental. That set of 1800mAh Duracell Accu battery lasted for about 400 shots all-together. Not bad for 1800mAh's, better than when I used them in the Cannon S1 IS. I just have to ignore the battery indicator and use the battery until they can take no more pictures. I had invested quite a bit in my current set up of rechargables and they will last for quite awhile. So far the battery indicator hasn't act up on the Panasonic battery yet... cross my fingers.

What is this Raw Shooter Essentials? Is there a trial version available? Since DL2 is so new, likely its not supported but it won't hurt to try.

-BE
Old Apr 9, 2006, 7:16 AM   #7

Raw Shooter essentials is a Great Raw Converter. Essententals is a Free Program. It is just minus some features that the premium version has. I love the program better than Adobe PSE. Heres the link

http://www.pixmantec.com/products/ra...essentials.asp

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 9:18 AM   #8

bright eyes, the fact that the images of the cat facing forward are all overexposed (except one which is framed differently) and the images of the cat's face in profile are acceptable shows that the problem is one of how the camera's meter is reading the scene. If you check out your trade show pictures look for a common pattern, very bright areas or very dark areas may be causing the issues and the small internal flash is not dealing with them properly. If, as RiceHigh states, the P-TTL flash exposes for the highlights that may well be your problem.

If there is enough light to shoot hand held (shutter speed = focal length as a guideline) then set the white balance, up the ISO to about 800 (still little noise at that level) and get instantly better pictures at a trade show. It may require a different custom white balance for different light sources but it will probably work. I use my internal flash very little because I am rarely happy with the results, if I must use flash I dig out the old Vivitar 285 and trust it's sensor, it usually does a decent job despite its "dumb" exposure system. Mounted on a Stroboframe bracket it is also high enough to eliminate redeye almost completely.

As for RAW files, the formats are essentially the same but there is a note in the file giving camera name, if this doesn't match the software cannot read the file. The latest version of RSE supports DL files (the 2005 version did not) but it is hard to say how long before it supports DL2 as well. The Pentax Photo Lab software does an adequate job of conversion, and is very good at batch processing, so it should do the job until something different comes along. Adobe is usually pretty quick at supporting new cameras so the Camera Raw plug in may have the necessary changes soon. RAW Shooter Essentials is a favourite for two very good reasons, it is a very good program developed by some of the same people who created the Phase One program used by some professionals, and secondly it is FREE (not just a trial edition but a real working program), it can later be upgraded to the RAW Shooter Pro if you decide you like it enough to pay for more features.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 3:17 PM   #9

BK, thanks for the link, I downloaded it and it worked with my Raw files. It just treatedthem as if theywere DL Raw files.

Ira, thanks for the reply, I too noticed the association with cats head turning with the exposure problem. I just couldn't figure out why such a slight movemnet would have such a big impact. One would think the center-weighted averaging metering system would see the general greyness of the cat about the same whether his head is straight or turned. I did see, however, when the cat's headwas turned his white chin was almost dead center and if I had used spot metering I could understand there should be a different reading but I wasn't using spot metering at the time.

Anyway that was a good exercise, it helped me to understand the strength and weaknessof my equipments. I guess, at this price point, I should not expect my Pentax DL2 to be a "perfect" camera. We should use our intelligence and skill to harness the strong points and compensate for the weak areas of our equipments.

-BE
Old Apr 10, 2006, 10:34 AM   #10

bright eyes wrote:
Quote:
BK, thanks for the link, I downloaded it and it worked with my Raw files. It just treatedthem as if theywere DL Raw files.

Ira, thanks for the reply, I too noticed the association with cats head turning with the exposure problem. I just couldn't figure out why such a slight movemnet would have such a big impact. One would think the center-weighted averaging metering system would see the general greyness of the cat about the same whether his head is straight or turned. I did see, however, when the cat's headwas turned his white chin was almost dead center and if I had used spot metering I could understand there should be a different reading but I wasn't using spot metering at the time.
Quote:
Anyway that was a good exercise, it helped me to understand the strength and weaknessof my equipments. I guess, at this price point, I should not expect my Pentax DL2 to be a "perfect" camera. We should use our intelligence and skill to harness the strong points and compensate for the weak areas of our equipments.

-BE
If you shoot in P mode the camera defaults to Matrix metering not center weighted (I didn't ralize this but I just checked with my DS). That is probably why when the cat turns its head it introduces more white into the matrix. P-TTL may have a biased towards highlights buts its not a design flawpersay; It would prob. make sense actually. Try using M, AV, or TV and center weighted metering.

No camera has a perfect program mode... its just a way to do quick snap shots.

pic_*ist is offline   Reply With Quote