Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 11, 2006, 1:17 AM   #1

I am a bit confused, are these the same program or different, if they are different is one of them better than the other?

I have been playing with a trial version of the latest version of Photoshop Elements and find the software easy to work with.

Do they both allow use of Pentax Raw file?
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2006, 4:36 AM   #2

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
I am a bit confused, are these the same program or different, if they are different is one of them better than the other?

I have been playing with a trial version of the latest version of Photoshop Elements and find the software easy to work with.

Do they both allow use of Pentax Raw file?
Yes they are different, PS has more features than PSE.

Elements is easier to learn and use.

Both have the Camera RAW plug in.

Elements is far less expensive and more user friendly, ideal for most of us who are not professional photographers.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 6:37 AM   #3

Ive used photoshop for 8 years, and now im on CS2. Every time I get on a pc with Elements i get so frustrated trying to use it. You have far less control over everything.

If you got the cash, get CS2 - its worth it
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 3:40 PM   #4

I have to agree with "monza 76" I personally think that while CS2 is Much more powerful, Elements is much Easier to Learn and use. Then If you feel the need for more Horse Power go for CS2.
I think It Comes Down to what you think you will need and What you are comfortable with.
I believe that Adobe also has a trial of CS2 avilable, download that and give it a try.
Cost is another factor. Elements can be had for $50USD on sale. Cheapest i have seen CS2 for is $350USD for the upgrade version.

I have used Elements from day one and love it. I am useing V4 now.

FYI:I know you did not ask but. I DONT like Adobe camera raw. I like the work flow in Raw Shooter Better. So i use RS for Raw and PSE for all else

Just my two cents
BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 2:08 AM   #5

Thanks guys, I have Elements Trial Version and I find it is easy to use, I also have the Photoshop workbooks that refer to it, so I think Elements it will be.

Thanks.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 11:04 AM   #6

elements has more stuff in it i find that works better on work flow. cs2 i had it for a while and i find its only useful in the more advance features like levels if you want to set numbers from a gray card or that digital target and save it on a file and then set it to another picture to have it correct for shadows or highlights or exposer.i have looked a profession pics and find they use elements.:lol:
Andre_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 4:28 AM   #7

Hi,

I use PS CS2 at office mostly for preparing graphic presentation and PS EL 4 at home for photo editing. This is one of image editing that gives us more manual control than the PS EL4. If you like and have time to learn this software can be very powerful, but I feel lack of preset manipulation setting for photo editing. Two features that are very useful but missing on PSEL4 are lens correction filter and Color balance adjustment. PS EL start from v3 are getting better, more user friendly (intuitive) and suitable for photo editing.

Regards,

RTogog
rtogog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 7:23 AM   #8

Thanks, I have elements on a trial version and just picked up CS2 as well. Might keep both ultimately