Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 11, 2006, 8:55 PM   #11

Heathglen wrote:
Quote:
Did you really think you'd find many people with buyer's remorse on this list? Anyone who had buyer's remorse should have sold it and walked away from the list.

Loved my *ist D from the time I first handled it. Maybe that's the reason for the decades old slogan "Just Hold a Pentax."

Larry in Dallas
larry in dallas -- where??

roy
Old Apr 11, 2006, 9:22 PM   #12

Well, all responses being positive, I'm sold.
Skuzzlebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 9:39 PM   #13

Check your local COSTCO. They're getting rid of the DS kit (& 18-55mm lens as well as a number of accessories) for $499.97.
CMotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:33 PM   #14

Skuzzlebutt wrote:
Quote:
Hi, I'm considering becoming a noob, and purchasing an ist DS soon. That is unless anybody here wants to talk me out of it. I'd like to hear any peeves the Pentaxs have caused anyone.

I had quite a bit of experience with 35mm when I was younger, wanted to shoot for National Geographic (or Playboy) but life got busy, yada yada.... So here I am retired and wanting to start anew. Hopefullythe technology won't turn my hair gray. I'm hoping for a camera that easy to learn on, and will let me go fully manual with the flick of a switch. I think it will take a while for me to trust all the automatic features. Any input is appreciated,.

Chris
Well, actually I had remorsed totally for getting the *ist D which was acquired more than two years ago. At that time, I should start a new line of DSLR system instead of a Pentax one, as later on I still needed to get so many digital lenses owing to the 1.5X crop factor. Owing to the unsatisfactory performance of the *ist D, I later on got an *ist DS to replace it, the DS is better in the digital department, for both image quality, processing speed and features. However, I know the DS is not my cup of tea ultimately, just because it is a low grade camera which Pentax knows what quality to be sucked out from it, e.g. the mirror damping mechanism, a stronger AF more, an AF system with better sensitivity (especially at low light), etc.

For more details about the pros and cons of the DS, see my following review:-

http://www.epinions.com/content_221813968516

If you are to get a DL, which is even cheaper, Pentax have sucked even more from it, e.g., the TTL flash metering cell/sensor, the Pentaprism (which result in smaller viewfinder), AF points, much smaller and dimmer numeric display in the finder and so on..

Good luck!

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:34 PM   #15

Heathglen wrote:
Quote:
Did you really think you'd find many people with buyer's remorse on this list? Anyone who had buyer's remorse should have sold it and walked away from the list.
Well, the majority would be, but not me. ;-)

RiceHigh
Old Apr 11, 2006, 11:44 PM   #16

I forgot there is one person on this forum that has little that is positeve to say about Pentax, but then you get more than just satisfied customers talking about how great the D series from Pentax is.

Another crappy photograph using a Pentax *istDS, 300mm lens and a Pentax 1.4X TC:

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 5:37 PM   #17

Hi,

My Pentax *ist DS in combination with DA 16-45/4 lens doesn't work as I'd like them to work.

I need to use +0.5 or +1 exposure correction to compensate underexposure which gives DS together with 16-45.

And most of the time use manual focus to get sharp pictures, because AF in combination above simply does not work correctly, almost all the time backfocuses...

--
Edvinas

Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 6:13 PM   #18

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
I forgot there is one person on this forum that has little that is positeve to say about Pentax, but then you get more than just satisfied customers talking about how great the D series from Pentax is.

Another crappy photograph using a Pentax *istDS, 300mm lens and a Pentax 1.4X TC:
you're right tom, i just wish the person would go out and buy a N* or C* and go pee in his pants in their forum..

gee, i don't like this camera, i think i'll get another.. what a pile of sh!*
Old Apr 12, 2006, 8:34 PM   #19

robar wrote:
Quote:
ennacac wrote:
Quote:

you're right tom, i just wish the person would go out and buy a N* or C* and go pee in his pants in their forum..

gee, i don't like this camera, i think i'll get another.. what a pile of sh!*
Do you see that there is another new reply just in the above for reporting serious underexposure and AF problems?

Also, what's the point of buying also C and N DSLRs if our Pentax DSLRs are way off but which the Pentax users who find problems have actually paid the money and invested into a *system*. Afterall, what's consumers' rights?

RiceHigh
Old Apr 12, 2006, 10:14 PM   #20

From what I have read in other forums and this one, it is a DA 16-45/4 lens issue, not a Pentax DSLR issue.

I do not have any DA (other than the kit lens) lenses so I can not personally speak to that issue, but none of my FA/FA* lenses have this focus or exposure problem.

I have no idea what you are talking about in your "consumer rights" sentence, so I can not speak to that either.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote