Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 12, 2006, 11:34 PM   #21

I like the feel of my DS2 and its easy to use only grip i have is the new lenses and lens hoods all made of plastic nothing but dust magnets im going to have to purchase- A- prime lenses since i believe they are all made of metal i can live without the auto focus
schnauzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 12:59 AM   #22

Quote:
From what I have read in other forums and this one, it is a DA 16-45/4 lens issue, not a Pentax DSLR issue.
Well, it is still undoubtly a *Pentax issue* no matter it is a lens issue or a body issue, as long as the problematic gear is marked with the brand name "Pentax".

Quote:
I do not have any DA (other than the kit lens) lenses so I can not personally speak to that issue, but none of my FA/FA* lenses have this focus or exposure problem.
I agree that FA lenses are relatively more accurate on *ist D bodies and your comment concur with my experience, too. However, I also know that MZ bodies are more accurate than *ist D ones comparatively when it comes to exposure and AF accuracy. No doubt here.

Quote:
I have no idea what you are talking about in your "consumer rights" sentence, so I can not speak to that either.
Okay, I elaborate more. When we buy something which do not work as it should be, what the consumers can and should do is to ask for a fix. That is the basic consumer rights.

If the manufacturer don't give a fix (for my case Pentax Japan have never replied for enquiries), then it's the sole fault of the manufacturer and they breach their offered warranty then.

Nonetheless, the sad thing is no matter what Pentax treated their customers for those design limitations and repair faults, there is not much to do indeed. So, what I think about "consumer rights" are just a concept, anyway.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 5:44 AM   #23

Now I understand what you were trying to say-Thanks!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 9:26 AM   #24

RiceHigh,
I got rid of the kit DA18-55 which I found it to be not sharp at all. I am still buying FA or F lens all of which seem to work very well with my lowly DL. I stay away from DA mainly on the expectation that FF is almost a sure thing . It is a matter of time only and I do not lose out by choosing FA or F at all. Did you by any chance update the firmware of your earlier D bodies? Somehow there seem to be Pentax's teething problem which is common with all first generation gismos. The problem should go away with more mature version.
Daniel

RiceHigh wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
From what I have read in other forums and this one, it is a DA 16-45/4 lens issue, not a Pentax DSLR issue.
Well, it is still undoubtly a *Pentax issue* no matter it is a lens issue or a body issue, as long as the problematic gear is marked with the brand name "Pentax".

Quote:
I do not have any DA (other than the kit lens) lenses so I can not personally speak to that issue, but none of my FA/FA* lenses have this focus or exposure problem.
I agree that FA lenses are relatively more accurate on *ist D bodies and your comment concur with my experience, too. However, I also know that MZ bodies are more accurate than *ist D ones comparatively when it comes to exposure and AF accuracy. No doubt here.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 9:44 AM   #25

My AF lenses are mostly from the bottom of the pile, but a few observations:

The FA 28-80mm f3.5/5.6 which is rated badly, seems to work a little better on the DL then on the MZ-7. The corner softness issue is not as pronounced since the sensor does not extend out into that area but stays mostly in the "sweet spot".

The FA 100-300mm f4.7-5.8 has a plastic mount and is very light weight but gives very nice results (a little soft at the long end but not bad, my icicle shot was taken at 300mm). I like everything about this lens except the "slow" apertures, but you get what you pay for.

I own the DA 18-55mm because it came with my DL (essentially free since the rebate took care of the price difference). I will use it in small rooms because of the angle of view but that is pretty much it.

I haven't had any serious issues with focus accuracy, except with MF lenses, my eyes aren't what they used to be. I also used an older Takumar-F 70-200mm with excellent results (nice portrait lens) and good accurate focus.

I just purchased a Sigma 24-135mm f2.8-4.5 but cannot comment until I actually receive it. It seems to have decent reviews and covers an excellent range (almost exactly what the lens on my Fuji S7000 covered). I will pay particular attention to how accurate the focus is.

I do not regret having the DL, I think all consumer DSLRs are a compromise and the Pentax has its strengths and weaknesses just like the others.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:28 AM   #26

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
I do not regret having the DL, I think all consumer DSLRs are a compromise and the Pentax has its strengths and weaknesses just like the others.

Ira

The famous writer meets the also famous photographer at the coctail party.

Writer: "I've seen your latest exhibition. Marvellous pictures! You must have a real good camera!"

Photographer: "Yes, it's really good and actually it was pretty expensive. By the way, I read your latest novel. What a thrilling novel! I assume you have a real good typewriter?"

Gives you something to think about, doesn't it?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:10 AM   #27

Exactly!

My PZ-1P is faster than my MZ-S, but larger and has less features and both are faster than my DS.

Do either one of them take better photographs than my DS-NO? They all are capable of the same quality of photography once you learn how to use them effectively.

They all have their weaknesses and strengths and like any tool you have to learn to use their strengths to your advantage and work around their weaknesses.

Look at the results in the different forums posted by actual users of the Pentax DSLR's and that is the true story of what they are capable of in skilled hands.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:35 AM   #28

A great image comes from the mind of the photographer, not his camera bag. (unknown author)

As a photographic tool my DL is probably the best camera I have owned, but the best images I have produced have come from a variety of cameras from a very nice Yashica D to a Pentax K1000 to a Minolta Maxxum 5000 to a Pentax Optio 33L (one of my favourite images of a sunset) to a Fuji S7000. Despite the differences in format and the disparity in features each has produced images I have been happy with.

If you regret your purchase for any reasons other than defects and service then maybe you are less of a photographer and more of an equipment junky. This is not an insult, I have the problem myself. Sometimes it appears as a general dissatisfaction with the equipment you own, or a longing for something newer or more fully featured (the "grass is always greener" syndrome). Sometimes it appears as LBA, the unrealistic goal to own every lens that will possibly fit your camera.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 12:52 PM   #29

RiceHigh wrote:
Quote:
Heathglen wrote:
Quote:
Did you really think you'd find many people with buyer's remorse on this list? Anyone who had buyer's remorse should have sold it and walked away from the list.
Quote:
Well, the majority would be, but not me. ;-)

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
Quote:
Like I said: "Anyone who had buyer's remorse should have sold it and walked away from the list." You seem to derive a great deal of pleasure venting about things that no one on the list can correct to your satisfaction. I must be lucky. When I have had issues (and I've had Pentaxes for almost 40 years - trust me, there have been issues), Pentax (US) has always resolved them to my satisfaction.
Quote:
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 1:04 PM   #30

Heathglen wrote:
Quote:
robar wrote:
Quote:
Heathglen wrote:
Quote:
Did you really think you'd find many people with buyer's remorse on this list? Anyone who had buyer's remorse should have sold it and walked away from the list.

Loved my *ist D from the time I first handled it. Maybe that's the reason for the decades old slogan "Just Hold a Pentax."

Larry in Dallas
Quote:
larry in dallas -- where?? Far North Dallas near Plano/Richardson
Quote:

roy
Quote:
Far North Dallas near Richardson/Plano
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote