Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 11, 2006, 11:05 PM   #1

I bought the DL and I am very happy with it. First, when I put the camera on RAW quality, it seems to save the images to some kind of pentax proprietary format so my question is, how can I convert these pentax raw format shots to good ol' RAW so that I can use adobe instead of the photo laboratory. I saw that I can convert them to Jpeg but that would compress quality. Should I convert to Tiff then save to RAW via adobe?

Just so you know, I'm not new to digital at all but I dont really like editing my pictures too much other then color and contrast and general picture maintanence like that. I only want RAW because of its uncompressed quality, not its tuneability if that makes any sense or difference in its necessity to me. If Tiff is just as uncompressed, that would probably work. The next question is do I save to 8mb or 16?

Sorry but please continue...

Now, since I bought the kit lense (18-55) I am naturally interested in getting an additional lense but I'm not sure that I want to spend more then 300 on it.
I'd like to get the best possible for 300, basically.
My interest right now is wide angle and zoom. Preferably more zoom then my current 55 but if i could have a cheap wide angle with 200+, that would be ideal.

I've been looking around at the sigmas and tamrons and others but I have no idea what is best.

I'd rather not overlap optics with what I already have so something in the neighboorhood of 50+ - 200+ would be great.

Any lense suggestions within reason welcome.

Thank you all.
Pentaxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2006, 11:51 PM   #2

Hi Pentax Champ

What version Of Adobe ??? do you have? I ask as Most new versions have ACR3.3 and Will recognize the pentax format. If You are running a recent version of Adobe PS CS2 or PS Elements You can Download and install the Update.
You Could also get a third party program that Works with raw files and these will also recognize the pentax Format.
I Might Be miss understanding You, however i Dont think you can Convert to TIFF and back To RAW.
I believe that all Cameras have a proprietory Forum. All any imaging software Does is recognize the manufacturers Format and Allow you to work On It.

Hope this helps

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 1:08 AM   #3

is photoshop 7 not good enough?

drat.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 1:18 AM   #4

I don't believe ACR works in 7, but there is a version that works in CS. The current version only works in CS2 (PSElements too).

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 8:39 AM   #5

May I suggest that you download and try Raw Shooter Essentials 2006. Its free and IMHO a great program. Or Upgrade your version Of PS or get version 3 or higher of PS Elements.

http://www.pixmantec.com/products/ra...essentials.asp
Old Apr 12, 2006, 11:46 AM   #6

Pentaxchamp wrote:
Quote:
Just so you know, I'm not new to digital at all but I dont really like editing my pictures too much other then color and contrast and general picture maintanence like that. I only want RAW because of its uncompressed quality, not its tuneability if that makes any sense or difference in its necessity to me.
Why not just use the Pentax Photolab utility that comes with the camera - it's quick & produces relatively good automatic conversions.

Quote:
Now, since I bought the kit lense (18-55) I am naturally interested in getting an additional lense but I'm not sure that I want to spend more then 300 on it.

I'd rather not overlap optics with what I already have so something in the neighboorhood of 50+ - 200+ would be great.
The Pentax 50-200mm DA is a good lens to compliment the 18-55mm DA kit lens - it's light and produces good images.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 1:19 AM   #7

I occasionally use the Pentax software to convert my images, even though I have CS2. It does a nice job and is easier to use than Adobe Camera Raw (I think I have 3.2 and it works with my DS).

I really like the Pentax 50-200, it complements the kit lens very nicely and isn't all that expensive. However, it is not a macro lens, so keep that in mind if you get it. I do look at all the wonderful pictures others take with their 300 lenses and do get a bit envious. However, I'm usually not using a tripod and have serious doubts about keeping one still enough.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 1:47 AM   #8

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I really like the Pentax 50-200, it complements the kit lens very nicely and isn't all that expensive. However, it is not a macro lens, so keep that in mind if you get it. I do look at all the wonderful pictures others take with their 300 lenses and do get a bit envious. However, I'm usually not using a tripod and have serious doubts about keeping one still enough.
I agree with mtngal here, I too like the Pentax 50-200, but I am so used to my old "ultra zoom" dc's image stablelization, I found it difficult to keep the camera still even at 200, not to mention 300. Always need to boost up the shutter speed to keep the picture clear when I don't have the tripod with me.

-BE
bright eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 12:11 AM   #9

Thank you all, I am torn between Tamron 28-200, the Pentax 50-200, and the Sigma 70-300.

I know there are obvious differences between the lenses but they are all in the same price range (under 300 dollars). I am less interested in the sigma as i think its more zoom then i need but i have a tripod and frankly, im not afraid to use it. Also, money is tight so I'd like to get the most for it.

any experience with these lenses?
Old Apr 14, 2006, 7:27 AM   #10

I can't Speak for the other Lenses. However i own the Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro.
In My case It was not two much Lense. I Love To photograph Motor Sports and i am tring to get into Nature Photography. For these The more Range the better. To Help in the Nature photography, i just Got a Tamron 1.4TC., As even at 300mm its A Stretch.

It all Comes Down To What you want to use the lense for!!

BK