Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 13, 2006, 6:06 PM   #1

Emerging lilacs--f11, ISO 400, 1/400th
Attached Images

Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:17 PM   #2

This is one sharp lens and with the new rebate, it becomes a very affordable one for the Pentax digitals. It has proven ifself over the years. This is the one I'm saving for as it has been highly recommended both here and on Dpreview. I am confused if Pentax is stillproducing it or just selling off there inventory? It's still listed on there website under lenses- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:35 PM   #3

Actually, this is the older manual version, but it isa great lens!
Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 1:27 AM   #4

yeah, Ive also got the M 50/1.4 SMC lens - very sharp but very shallow DOF
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 7:18 AM   #5

bper wrote:
Quote:
This is one sharp lens and with the new rebate, it becomes a very affordable one for the Pentax digitals. It has proven ifself over the years. This is the one I'm saving for as it has been highly recommended both here and on Dpreview. I am confused if Pentax is still producing it or just selling off there inventory? It's still listed on there website under lenses - Bruce
You meant FA50mm 1.4? I got that prior to the rebate of $50 after April from B&H. It has no match bang-for-the-buck. Likely by optic design, it is easy to make 50mm. The only catch about the new breed of lens (or rebate) is that it just may be made in Vietnam. I avoided the rebate as I am from Toronto. I have no info about the new bunch of 50mm. Yet I am sure the Da 40mm limited is made in Vietnam. Pentax has outsourced quite a bit of the lens production and that even applies to the Limited .

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 10:17 AM   #6

Daniel - I guess that doesn't bother me as I know Pentax has there own factory in Vietnam and is usingcheaper labor there, but it is closely suppervised by Pentax. I know they are building a second plant there, so it must be working for them. I have the DL and it was assembled in the Phillipeans. Nothing is made at home anymore. I know Olympus is assembled in China, I'm not sure about C or N. We have the same problem here in the US. But, on the other hand, Honda cars are made in the US. It certainly is a world market. In the end, its the quality of the product that counts and the FA50mmF1.4 is a good one, at least most people that have them are very happy with the results they get- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 8:52 AM   #7

bper wrote:
Quote:
But, on the other hand, Honda cars are made in the US. It certainly is a world market. In the end, its the quality of the product that counts and the FA50mm F1.4 is a good one, at least most people that have them are very happy with the results they get - Bruce
Honda is made in Japan. But the higher end Honda - Acura are not.

The FA50mm1.4 are (or were?) made in Japan like the one I have. After April 1, new rebate kicked in. Does it mean that the new bread of FA50 will be made in Vietnam which is why new rebate applies? I know all lower end consumer lens like FA J lens are assembled in Vietnam.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 11:43 AM   #8

It is written on the lens what country it is assembled in. Just have a look when you are trying it out
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 5:49 PM   #9

It's said to be a great portrait lens on the *istDx. This is my try. Neighbourat his kitchen table.

Kjell
Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 8:34 AM   #10

Now that is an interesting face, a nice oblique at a window or a shot with some daylgit to give it a bit more contrast and boy that face could show some character.
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote