Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 15, 2006, 5:21 PM   #21

Kjell, I think i'd better start going to the gym. Very impressive lens.

Ira

WOW two pages already, gulls are popular (or at least plentiful).

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 5:33 PM   #22

Well, with the lens and the tc and the tripod and the DS body it sums up to only 9 kilograms/19,8 pounds. Translated to calories that entitles me to one extra slice of cheescake a day! :blah:

Kjell

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 11:04 PM   #23

Hi Ira -You definately brought the white out in my picture. It was such a dreary day, I was kind of disappointed in the shots, but as you say, maybe I need to play with them some more.I can seewhere photgraphing seagulls could be a hobby in itself- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 8:30 AM   #24

I WANT that lens..woohoo

I have some cranes in flight, does that count or do I need to get my butt down to the beach? :lol:
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 1:31 PM   #25

bper, one of the big advantages of a DSLR is that it does less in camera processing. This gives you more control over the final image. My Pentax Optio 33L gives me images that are ready to print or share right out of the camera, but if there is a problem I have very little flexibility to fix it. My *istDL almost always requires adjustments to levels and sharpness, but the resulting images are then so much better. I am using very old software, Adobe Photo Shop Elements (version 1) which came with an Epson scanner, to edit my images. Often the "auto levels" will make a dramatic improvement, if it causes weird colour shifts I use "auto contrast" instead. If these options are too harsh I just adjust the levels manually until I like the result. See this article for examples http://www.lonestardigital.com/autocontrast.htmThe final step is then a little unsharp mask (amount usually varies alot from 100 to 300, radius is usually 0.3 and threshold is 0 unless thereare large areas of gradual colour change, like a lot of blue sky, in which case I set the threshold higher to avoid colour banding). This articlehttp://www.lonestardigital.com/photoshop_quicktips.htmshows how to use unsharp mask to improve contrast. Hopethis helps.

Crashman, are the cranes white??

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 5:10 PM   #26

I agree with Ira that a DSLR gives you so much more in terms of controling your image instead of being stuck with want a P&S gives you.

Our cranes are back to nest, but they are not white, they are Sandhill Cranes. Took this about ten min ago in the field accorss the road.

A* 200/Pentax A-1.4X-S hand held, MF, 1/350 sec, f/8, ISO 400, *istDS

Tom

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 7:22 PM   #27

my 300 doesn't have a tripod collar and i do worry about the weight when mounted. it's a really heavy front element lens and after seeing the support collar on the 600 i think i'll put on the thinking cap for an attachment to help support the front of the lens.

thanks for posting it,
roy
Old Apr 16, 2006, 7:41 PM   #28

I tried the collar off my Sigma 70-200 2.8 on my FA* 300, but it is a bit too large but would work with some sort of filler to close the gap between the larger collar and the lens barrel. It is a good design to work with because it opens up with a hinge, then links together and the lever then locks the collar tight around the barrel of the lens.

Your A* 300 may have a larger barrel than the FA* so it may work for you better than it does for me. Possibly Sigma has the same type of collar for another lens that would be a better fit.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 5:45 AM   #29

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
This is my cutie, on the not enough sturdy tripod.
tom,
there's absolutely nowhere on the A*300 to mount a collar. that's why i think something custom will have to be made. something kind of like bily's mount on the 600.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 6:55 AM   #30

Yes, there is a whole crowd of them I sould say close to 150-200 that gather at a water feature in the middle of the suburbs not far from where I live.

I took some shots there the other month and will upload them next week when I have finished house sitting.
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote