Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 14, 2006, 12:02 PM   #1

Tom and Roy, finally got the opportunity to go out and find some birds to shoot. I am still a bit shakey on getting focus correct and, since these were hand held, I am just a little shakey (most obvious in this first shot).

Let me know what you think. All shot with my FA 100-300mm f4.7-5.8 at the 300mm end.

Ira

The images are all cropped slightly and have some adjustment to levels and sharpness. Midday sun has caused some contrast issues such as some blown highlights, but the white plumage still looks fairly natural.
Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2006, 12:03 PM   #2

Number 2
Attached Images

Old Apr 14, 2006, 12:03 PM   #3

Number 3
Attached Images

Old Apr 14, 2006, 12:05 PM   #4

And the last, number 4. I experimented with manual focus and continous focus. Unfortunately I left the monopod in the car, it may have helped with the sharpness.

Ira
Attached Images

Old Apr 14, 2006, 3:42 PM   #5

Hi Ira - I went to the beach last week and although it rained a lot, I got some gull pictures anyway. This one was taken in light rain with an old M42, 200mm Super Takumar. It came out pretty dreary, so I lightened it up and added some contrast. It's not as good as yours, but I caught the gull splashing through the surf. I wish I had shot it in raw, that way I could have done more with it. Ok, everyone send in gull pictures- Bruce

bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 7:55 PM   #6

WOW!!!!
what can i say????????? #3 is for me. all outstanding tho. i'll bet you were in seat grip mode as you were d/ling these.

congrats ira, certainly no problem with the lense. i've also got the shakes. i think it could stem from those late 60s and early 70s war protests. and.........

roy
Old Apr 14, 2006, 7:57 PM   #7

oh, and tom, the pelicans must summer up your way as i haven't seen one in a month.

roy
Old Apr 14, 2006, 8:01 PM   #8

Ira,

Very nice indeed! They are all very sharp and contrasty. That seems to be a extremely good lens.

No pelicans yet, but the Sandhill Cranes and Canadian Geese are back.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 1:08 AM   #9

Yes this lens seems to be much better than I expected it to be, I wonder if it is due to the smaller image circle required for the digital sensor? This lens is also very light weight so it is not a problem to carry around for prolonged periods of time.

I still have a lot to learn about getting long telephoto shots. Before this camera I was normally only using up to 200mm, now this 300mm lens gives me the equivalent of 450mm, a big jump in reach. I need to work on getting focus quickly and tracking my target. I think I may have been going for too tight framing on some of my shots yesterday since I often did not get the bird completely in the frame. I tried single auto focus at first, fine for stationary targets but useless when the birds took to wing. Continous AF worked when I could track the bird but if it got out of the focus marks the camera would snap to the background. I tried MF but my eyes cannot discern enough detail to be accurate much of the time.

I guess I better practice, practice, practice.

Thanks for the replies guys, I am finally getting some time to do some photography outside and I am encouraged by your comments.

BTW the images below were taken through my living room window, of a bird feeder in our Snowball bush. There are more than just gulls here.

Ira

BTW, can anyone identify this particular bird, some sort of sparrow I believe but I can't pin it down. I live in the central part of the island of Newfoundland if that helps identify it.
Attached Images

Old Apr 15, 2006, 8:35 AM   #10

One more of the feeder:
Attached Images