Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 29, 2006, 12:05 PM   #11

Kjell

Thanks for the linguistics lesson, I will keep that in mind. They are not terribly attractive except for the big bulls with a full set of antlers.

Tom

They are mostly found in Northern parts of the coniferous forests. On the island of Newfoundland there are no deer, except for caribou (OK Kjell, reindeer) which stay on the barren lands, and no large predators (Lynx is the biggest with marauding black bears as the biggest risk, they will hunt the young and weak in early spring. Lately coyotes have started to show up around the island, probably crossed the Straits of Belle Isle from the mainland on spring ice. These may have a big impact on the ecology since they are far more bold than the lynx and will live close to humans. ),so the moose had no real competition and spread rapidly. There are areas of the island (which has a total population of no more than 500,000 people) where there are as many as 50 moose/auto collisions in a single year. They are particularly dangerous because they are hard too see at night, they have a taste for road salt used on icy roads in winter and they are so large and tall that they fall onto the roof of a typical car when struck. There are usually a couple of fatalities each year.

Since Newfoundland was primarily a fishing economy most of the settlements (often referred to as outports) are along the coast. The main highway (the Trans-Canada Highway) travels through the interior so you get to see lots of moose in spring summer and autumn (they tend to stay in the trees more during winter).

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 12:57 PM   #12

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
There are areas of the island (which has a total population of no more than 500,000 people) where there are as many as 50 moose/auto collisions in a single year. They are particularly dangerous because they are hard too see at night, they have a taste for road salt used on icy roads in winter and they are so large and tall that they fall onto the roof of a typical car when struck. There are usually a couple of fatalities each year.
The road signs warning for moose/elk crossings are very popular amongst German tourists. The signs were stolen to such an extent that they are now sold in souvenir shops, and they are said to be nice as small side tables. The sign has become a symbol for Sweden and is present in ashtrays, on caps and t-shirts, stickers, fridge magnets... The worst is elk poo sold as earrings! It was invented by a German tourist office manager in the north ofSweden, and even helaughs at the sillyGermans who are willing to pay for it.

The dark side is thatthere isreason for the warning signs, we alsohave too many casualties. My wife escaped by pure luck the other year, there was an impact mark on the car roof from the elks nose and the passenger door was destroyed. Anyway she got to see an elk very near!

Kjell

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 10:15 PM   #13

Kjell

Being a shift worker I don't always get a chance to get out during the day.

Snapped these two shots the other day when I was playing with my el cheapo Tokina 80-200 4.5.

They do attract a lot of attention as they are huge and in the middle of the city, all up I think there are five of them.
Attached Images

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 10:18 PM   #14

I cannot say for sure how long it will be before I get the opportunity to go out looking for some roos to photograph.

Attached Images

Old Apr 30, 2006, 7:03 AM   #15

Crashman!

I thinkit's a conspiracy – they are trying to take over the urban civilization!
Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 8:55 AM   #16

I know in Melbourne their is a full size statue of Phar lap (legendary Australian racing horse) at the race track and one day a police mounted officer was ridnig along and rode past the statue. The police horse went berzerk. Was totally frightened by the statue.

They can look very real sometimes..:shock:
Old Apr 30, 2006, 9:21 AM   #17

Picked this mouse pad up when I was in Sweden a few years ago and from its beat up condition, you can see I actually do use it.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 8:21 PM   #18

Last year.

Ira
Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 9:21 PM   #19

Hi Guys - I got on this topic kind of late, but we have lots of Elk here in the Northwest and the game department maintains a feeding station about ten miles from us. This picture was taken in March before I got the DL. It was taken with a Fuji F602Z. A full size bull Elk is a magnificent thing to see in the wild. The closestMoose would be in Montana in Yellowstone Park. We also have Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep. They cannavigate almost unbelievable rockyareas- Bruce

bper is offline   Reply With Quote